What is a "sample" CV?

I have heard of "sample" Circus Voltaires that are worth more - what
exactly is this?

It is a 'pre-production' version of the game, and
there are only a handful made. Most often, they are
incomplete and inferior versions of the production
game. Some people think they are worth more money.

I don't....

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=========================

pokermon17@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have heard of "sample" Circus Voltaires that are worth more - what
> exactly is this?

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

Fred Kemper wrote:
> It is a 'pre-production' version of the game, and
> there are only a handful made. Most often, they are
> incomplete and inferior versions of the production

Depends.. some samples have features deleted from the production
games. TZ's third magnet core, DH sample droptarget.. didn't sample
SS's have glow bones? Usually the stuff gets deleted for costs or
because it causes problems in gameplay.

Hence the term "inferior". ;)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===========================

lscott@dlptech.com wrote:

Usually the stuff gets deleted for costs or
> because it causes problems in gameplay.

>I have heard of "sample" Circus Voltaires that are >worth more - what exactly is this?

Most sample games don't bring in the cash that people like to think.
Some features that were pre-production are sometimes turned off in
future releases of the software (rollergames used to have drop targets
and only proto software supports them).

There are a few cool features that would be nice to get a chance to
play (like Corvette's shifter that was deleted) I wouldn't call that
"inferior" as some may claim, but the costs could not be justified and
was dropped.

Kirb

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

lscott@dlptech.com wrote:
> Fred Kemper wrote:
> > It is a 'pre-production' version of the game, and
> > there are only a handful made. Most often, they are
> > incomplete and inferior versions of the production
>
> Depends.. some samples have features deleted from the production
> games. TZ's third magnet core, DH sample droptarget.. didn't sample
> SS's have glow bones? Usually the stuff gets deleted for costs or
> because it causes problems in gameplay.

Didn't sample SSs also have a working kickback, and sample ToM came
with an actual working Tiger Saw?

yes but you would have to use the proto code that ran these features.
And miss out on any bug fixes and enhancements that came later.

The SS kickback code has been lost . if you google for it, someone has
wired in a kickback that works but then you get a 2 ball spell
multiball (since the software compensates for the kickback) which seems
kinda awkward.

there is a home rom for ToM that runs the proto tiger saw code. I've
seen it done to my machine after i sold it, but it's hard to find.

-c

Some sample games are more desired by collectors and others are not,
depending on the features that were eliminated from them in production.
Scared Stiff with it's original glow in the dark bones, arch and insert
differences, IJ with original lost plastic, jackpot lighting, metal rails
and some pf differences, TZ if it has the factory installed third magnet and
a few others do command higher prices (always depending on condition too).
CV generally does not, in fact most people stay away because of the
reputation for trapped balls and multiple software bugs.

GRY

"CraigC -Chicago-" <pinball@chicagohardcore.net> wrote in message
> yes but you would have to use the proto code that ran these features.
> And miss out on any bug fixes and enhancements that came later.
>
> The SS kickback code has been lost . if you google for it, someone has
> wired in a kickback that works but then you get a 2 ball spell
> multiball (since the software compensates for the kickback) which seems
> kinda awkward.
>
> there is a home rom for ToM that runs the proto tiger saw code. I've
> seen it done to my machine after i sold it, but it's hard to find.
>
> -c

lscott

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005

> CV generally does not, in fact most people stay away because of the
> reputation for trapped balls and multiple software bugs.

Software bugs are not a problem with sample games - they can be
upgraded to the latest revision just like any other machine, with one
exception I know of: Funhouse games with Sys11 sound boards.

On 11 Jul 2005 15:39:28 -0700, lscott@dlptech.com wrote:

>> CV generally does not, in fact most people stay away because of the
>> reputation for trapped balls and multiple software bugs.
>
>Software bugs are not a problem with sample games - they can be
>upgraded to the latest revision just like any other machine, with one
>exception I know of: Funhouse games with Sys11 sound boards.

and for the record, to pile on to larrys reply, the only ball trap
problems sample cv's have that are different than production cv's are
the thin ringmaster head. (which while looking better, COMPLETELY
plays like garbage) until you get a ringmaster special stacked with
another multiball, you will never see a ringmaster with 4 balls wedged
in the side of his head and neck looking like tumors ;-)

skinny ringmaster heads while being original and better looking are
playability speaking massively flawed. use it as a topper for you
decorators out there or simply hide him in the coin box ;-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

I recently dumped chips from a SS with .3 CPU ROM and .22 S2 and .21 S3 and
S4.

I've uploaded them to IPDB and they're currently in the queue. No idea if
they do anything with the kickback though.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com