How do you clean LCD screens

ricardo

Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
it in case I scratch it. TIA
ricardo

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, ricardo wrote:

>Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it.

I use lint-free cloth moistened with diluted washing-up liquid. I don't
know if you call it the same in Oz, but if not, get photographic wetting
agent. Then repeat with clean water.

Whatever you do, don't use a dry kitchen towel (to wipe anything for
that matter).
--
Nigel M

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo

Look for a 3M "Scotch Brite High Performance Cleaning Cloth" at your local
retailer. Lightly dampened or dry, they're safe to do what you want.
They're also good for cleaning CRTs and even reading glasses.

http://tinyurl.com/4uzar

Stew

ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it. TIA
>ricardo
I use rubbing alcohol, be sure it does not contain oil. Use a cotton
ball to wipe the screen.
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Luke warm water and a 100% cotton cloth. I also use lens cleaner from a eye
glass maker. Make sure your cloth is 100% cotton. If you have doubts then
tear off a piece and light it with a cig. lighter. If you see blue sparks or
discolorations when the cloth is burning then you have a rag with some type
of metal or bi-products incorporated in it.

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo

With LCD screen cleaners ;) seriously, you can buy tubs of 100 pre-moistened
tissues at Rymans in the UK

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, no_one@example.net wrote:

>--
>A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
>Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
>A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

ROFL!

--
Nigel M

Kimberley-Clark's Kimwipes are fine, too. They come in industrial and small
sizes. My wife cleans her glasses with with them. I also use a commercial CRT
cleaner applied very lightly to remove the food spatters and other evidence of
careless use from clients' computers including LCD screens... Ben Myers

ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it. TIA

I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
scratch...

William, P.N., Smith wrote:

> ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
> >Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
> >Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
> >it in case I scratch it. TIA
>
> I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
> screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
> scratch...

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

And, as far as being "hard to scratch," are you on drugs?

Notan

Craig

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo

Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html

Craig

"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message

> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>> it in case I scratch it. TIA
>> ricardo
>
> Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
> http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>
> Craig

"Die, evil thread die."

Horse + beating = death

Stew

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:

>Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

If it has ammonia in it, then no way!

We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

Anyone know what it is called elsewhere?

--
Nigel M

Nigel M wrote:

> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:
>
> >Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!
>
> If it has ammonia in it, then no way!
>
> We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
> everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

No, that's WD-40. <g>

Notan

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:52:46 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
Smith wrote:

>ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>>it in case I scratch it. TIA
>
>I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
>screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
>scratch...

Shudder...

1. Do NOT use glass or window cleaners, such as Windex: those have ammonia
or other cleansers in them that can damage the anti-reflection coating on
CRTs and flat panels.

Also avoid any other cleaners or solvents that aren't specifically intended
for CRTs and flat panel displays (or suggested in the monitor's
documentation), for the same reason.

2. Do NOT use paper towels, paper napkins, etc.: those can scratch the
surface. If you think about what paper is made of, the reason for that
should be pretty obvious.

A soft 100% cotton cloth with plain water is safe and should handle routine
cleaning just fine. Wipes and cleaning fluids specifically meant for CRTs
and flat panels are also fine. Or check the documentation for the monitor
to see what the manufacturer suggests.

If the screen is gritty or has a lot of dust built up on it, try to gently
blow or brush (with something very soft) most of it off before wiping the
screen, so there's less chance of grinding any coarse particles into the
screen and scratching it.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

Craig

> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>>> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>>> it in case I scratch it. TIA
>>> ricardo
>>
>> Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>> http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>>
>> Craig
>>

> "Die, evil thread die."
>
> Horse + beating = death
>

> Stew

Since when have you been the self appointed newsgroup monitor?

<plonk>

Craig

Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:

> Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
> nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

Some would say "Linux," but, personally, I'm not gonna open
*that* can of worms! <g>

Notan

At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
enough place to reveal a wild cure:
A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

Good luck

gg wrote:

> At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
> enough place to reveal a wild cure:
> A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
> for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
> quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
> He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
> used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
> I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
> BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

Did he topically apply it or inhale it? <g>

Notan

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

gg wrote:
> At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
> enough place to reveal a wild cure:

You're right - flame & ridicule to you.

;)

Craig

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>
> Countercite from a manufacturer:
> http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html

Caltronind??? =Generic???

I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi

My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtoguide/cleaning_your_monitor_lcd.htm

Craig

Craig

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Craig wrote:

> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>
>>"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>>>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>>
>>Countercite from a manufacturer:
>>http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html
>>

> Caltronind??? =Generic???
>
> I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi
>
> My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi
>
> http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtoguide/cleaning_your_monitor_lcd.htm

So it seems steel wool & Boraxo is right out.