Dimension 2400 Floppy

Have just bought a Dimension 2400 for a relative and discovered no floppy
drive; I could probably live without one but my aunt can't!
Dell want £30 plus vat plus postage!
Of course you can pick up a drive for next to nothing but not the fixing
kit.
Anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative?!

Regards
Chris Curtis

You obvisouly didn't hear Dell's announcement last summer that they
would start shipping PCs without floppy disk drives. My 4600 has a
floppy disk, though I rarely use it. My office doesn't use floppy
disks much anymore either. You can buy one a floppy disk drive on
Ebay. It is easy to install.

"davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> You obvisouly didn't hear Dell's announcement last summer that they
> would start shipping PCs without floppy disk drives. My 4600 has a
> floppy disk, though I rarely use it. My office doesn't use floppy
> disks much anymore either. You can buy one a floppy disk drive on
> Ebay. It is easy to install.

Not very easy to install a floppy in a Dell unless you have the mounting
kit. My price from Dell for the mounting kit was $15 or for the floppy drive
with the mounting kit installed on it, $15. Guess which I ordered, and it
was delivered the next day, no freight.

Tom J

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Chris Curtis wrote:

>Anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative?!

USB floppy? Do a search on eBay, here's an example:

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31566&item=6737674172>

--
Nigel M

"Nigel M" <reply@thegroup.com> wrote in message
> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Chris Curtis wrote:
>
>>Anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative?!
>
> USB floppy? Do a search on eBay, here's an example:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31566&item=6737674172>
>

> --
> Nigel M

Or ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/Dell-Dimension-2400-floppy-kit_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Stew

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, S.Lewis wrote:

>http://search.ebay.com/Dell-Dimension-2400-floppy-kit_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Merkins.

--
Nigel M

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> You obvisouly didn't hear Dell's announcement last summer that they
>> would start shipping PCs without floppy disk drives. My 4600 has a
>> floppy disk, though I rarely use it. My office doesn't use floppy
>> disks much anymore either. You can buy one a floppy disk drive on
>> Ebay. It is easy to install.
>>

> Not very easy to install a floppy in a Dell unless you have the mounting
> kit. My price from Dell for the mounting kit was $15 or for the floppy
> drive with the mounting kit installed on it, $15. Guess which I ordered,
> and it was delivered the next day, no freight.
>
> Tom J

No I didn't hear about the announcement from Dell. Not until about 3 hours
ago when I entered a search into Google!
Well if the drive was only $15 we wouldn't be having this discussion; the UK
price in the Dell Store is nearer $70 at current exchange rates! I'll give
them a ring! As far as I'm concerned they are like microwaves; not used that
often but indispensible when needed!
Thanks for the input everyone.

Chris

I've resold some Dells built without floppies and added a USB floppy drive,
which may be more cost-effective than an internal floppy with special Dell
mounting bracket. A USB floppy takes up space outside the computer chassis, but
it can always be detached and placed in a desk drawer when not in use.

You might also find a Dell floppy mounting kit on eBay for less money including
shipping (even from the US with import duties and VAT) than Dell UK's selling
price... Ben Myers

> I've resold some Dells built without floppies and added a USB floppy
> drive,
> which may be more cost-effective than an internal floppy with special Dell
> mounting bracket. A USB floppy takes up space outside the computer
> chassis, but
> it can always be detached and placed in a desk drawer when not in use.
>
> You might also find a Dell floppy mounting kit on eBay for less money
> including
> shipping (even from the US with import duties and VAT) than Dell UK's
> selling
> price... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:21:38 -0000, "Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "davinp" <dpete47@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Not very easy to install a floppy in a Dell unless you have the mounting
>>> kit. My price from Dell for the mounting kit was $15 or for the floppy
>>> drive with the mounting kit installed on it, $15. Guess which I
>>> ordered,
>>> and it was delivered the next day, no freight.
>>>
>>> Tom J
>>>
>>No I didn't hear about the announcement from Dell. Not until about 3 hours
>>ago when I entered a search into Google!
>>Well if the drive was only $15 we wouldn't be having this discussion; the
>>UK
>>price in the Dell Store is nearer $70 at current exchange rates! I'll give
>>them a ring! As far as I'm concerned they are like microwaves; not used
>>that
>>often but indispensible when needed!
>>Thanks for the input everyone.
>>
>>Chris

Yes, a usb device makes sense. I hadn't realised how cheap they have become;
the last one I bought was for a Mac (when they decided a few years a go that
floppies were no longer required) and was about £80!

Chris

Nigel M <reply@thegroup.com> wrote:

>USB floppy? Do a search on eBay, here's an example:

Is it possible to boot from a USB device? Just that some apps want you
to create a boot floppy.
--

Cheers!
Fr Jack

"Fr Jack" <sp@mtrap.com> wrote in message
> Nigel M <reply@thegroup.com> wrote:
>

>>USB floppy? Do a search on eBay, here's an example:
>
> Is it possible to boot from a USB device? Just that some apps want you
> to create a boot floppy.
> --
>
> Cheers!
> Fr Jack
> 96 Tiger.
> FRJACKUKRM AT GMAIL DOT COM

Well before buying a device I realised we have a LaCie USB floppy in the
office and I can't get that to boot.
Is this possible; certainly no options in the bios; only for a USB external
drive (when one is connected).
Otherwise it will have to be a Dell kit after all.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Have just bought a Dimension 2400 for a relative and discovered no floppy
> drive; I could probably live without one but my aunt can't!
> Dell want £30 plus vat plus postage!
> Of course you can pick up a drive for next to nothing but not the fixing
> kit.
> Anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative?!
>
> Regards
> Chris Curtis
http://www.ebuyer.com quickfind: 38922
plus a can of black acrylic paint!
Looks ok, as long as you have a spare 5.25" bay free.

HTH
Chris D.

"Chris" <c.dennisonRemove@lineone.net> wrote in message
> "Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Have just bought a Dimension 2400 for a relative and discovered no floppy
>> drive; I could probably live without one but my aunt can't!
>> Dell want £30 plus vat plus postage!
>> Of course you can pick up a drive for next to nothing but not the fixing
>> kit.
>> Anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative?!
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris Curtis
> http://www.ebuyer.com quickfind: 38922
> plus a can of black acrylic paint!
> Looks ok, as long as you have a spare 5.25" bay free.
>
> HTH
> Chris D.

Except that the only other bay is due to be occupied!.
I've bitten the bullet and got a Dell kit. The indian sales person was
broadly sympathetic and knocked off nearly £10 for delivery which softened
the blow (a bit!)

Chris