TECH: Weak flipper on one side

BK2K single flipper is weak. So weak it barely works. The side with the two
flippers work fine. Good and strong. I replaced the coil and assembly. Same
results, weak flipper. I checked the voltage. Single side has 30v while the
double side has 75v. I looked at the Marvin site and everything that could
go wrong should effect both sides yet only one side is effected. Any
suggestions?
Thanks
-Kevin

connectors - especially with the interconnect board on sys11's. Also
don't discount the possible of the relay having some bad solder joints
on that side vs. the other. Think of what could make what is
essentially an equivalent path different - i.e. both sides have ground
paths, but they aren't the same ground path.

all the lugs on the two lower flipper coils should have 70 volts DC
showing. if you only have 30 volts, i would say there is some
wiring problem (connector mis-placed as someone said).

Kevin Rigsby wrote:
> BK2K single flipper is weak. So weak it barely works. The side with the two
> flippers work fine. Good and strong. I replaced the coil and assembly. Same
> results, weak flipper. I checked the voltage. Single side has 30v while the
> double side has 75v. I looked at the Marvin site and everything that could
> go wrong should effect both sides yet only one side is effected. Any
> suggestions?
> Thanks
> -Kevin

Kevin. Try cleaning the contact points that activate the weak flipper.
You should inspect and possibly clean the points at the cabinet flipper
switch, then same for the end of stroke switch on the weak flipper. The
points get corroded and don't allow good contact / voltage to pass,
thus causing a weak or semi-working flipper. Hope this helps. Good luck
david p

>points get corroded and don't allow good contact / voltage to pass,
>thus causing a weak or semi-working flipper. Hope this helps.

The voltage goes to the flipper relay, then to the coils, then EOS,
then cab switches, and then ground. cleaning the contacts won't get him
any closer to the problem since the voltage at the coils is low.

You can test this by jumpering the power side of the flipper coil to
ground.

The problem is in the flipper relay or a connector somewhere.

Kirb

Thanks for all the help. I figured out what happened. Long story but it may
help others.
After doing continuity tests on most of the boards and connecters with no
problems found. Finally I called a friend with a high speed. He said the
gray/yellow wire on his machine is on the out side tab. Close to side of
cabinet. So I rewired the two power wires to match his. Also fixed the diode
which was cut for testing. Turn on the pin and pop goes the fuse. So now I
went from Weak flipper to blow fuse as soon as you hit the flipper button.
So the first thing I did was rewire it back to the way it was. Turned on the
power to test the flipper and pop goes the fuse again. Now im really pissed.
Went back to the Marvin site and checked the info on fuse blowing. It turns
out that I had the power wires correctly wired. Grey/yellow wire is the hot
which goes to the fat tab on the coil (where I originally had it). To make
sure this coil is completely wired correctly I wrote down where all the
wires needed to go. Thus including the EOS wires as well. To rule out any
possibility of the coil being bad. I replaced it again. As I follow the
wiring diagram I made, I can see where the issue is. One of the EOS leads is
connected to the power lead (gray/yellow). Ah ha. That's an issue. I moved
that lead to the other end tab.

Turned the power back on. Pressed the flipper button. BANG. Worked
perfectly. Checked the voltage. 60v.
Now my BK2K WORKS GREAT..

I called back my friend with the High Speed because it seams strange that my
Gray/Yellow wire is on the right side of the coil were my friends HS is on
the left side of the coil. Turns out that my Coil tabs are toward the
flipper and his coil tabs are away from the flipper.

Next issue, no upper G.I. playfield lights or Bumper lights. No flashers
under the plastics. However, All switches, lights and flashers under the
upper playfield work. Swapped relay board with the one on the backbox. No
difference. Backbox lights still work but nothing on the upper playfield.

Any suggestions??
Thanks again
Kevin