KVM switch and Dell 8400 with ati 850xt pe

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

Hi
Looking at sending my video output from my new Dell 8400 via a KVM switch to
my 19 inch CRT.
I have NO idea about KVM switches - is it likely to degrade the image? Is
this a crazy idea for a "High end" video card? I would hope to use one of
the all-in-one KVM with no external power.
Will be hooking my old Dell 8250 to the other side of the KVM switch and
using it as a file server/storage on my home network - will want to see what
it is up to from time to time
Thanks
Tim
Australia

"Tack" <gottabekiddin@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> Looking at sending my video output from my new Dell 8400 via a KVM switch
> to my 19 inch CRT.
> I have NO idea about KVM switches - is it likely to degrade the image? Is
> this a crazy idea for a "High end" video card? I would hope to use one of
> the all-in-one KVM with no external power.
> Will be hooking my old Dell 8250 to the other side of the KVM switch and
> using it as a file server/storage on my home network - will want to see
> what it is up to from time to time
> Thanks
> Tim
> Australia

I've not used a KVM switch recently, but I have used 30' KVM cabling drops
(user wanted to hide the towers in a closet away from office/client view)
with both the Dimension 4600 and 4700 on both Dell and Sony 17" LCD
displays.

No signal degradation whatsoever. I'd guess a quality KVM switch would be
equal to that or better.

Stew

"Tack" <gottabekiddin@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Looking at sending my video output from my new Dell 8400 via a KVM switch to
>my 19 inch CRT.
>I have NO idea about KVM switches - is it likely to degrade the image? Is
>this a crazy idea for a "High end" video card? I would hope to use one of
>the all-in-one KVM with no external power.
>Will be hooking my old Dell 8250 to the other side of the KVM switch and
>using it as a file server/storage on my home network - will want to see what
>it is up to from time to time
>Thanks
>Tim
>Australia

I've used KVM switches for years. Never had a problem with video
degradation.

Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones. All that I've
ever used came with one of those ubiquitous transformers that is
de rigueur for any self-respecting peripheral you want to hang on
a computer.

--
OJ III

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Tack" <gottabekiddin@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>Looking at sending my video output from my new Dell 8400 via a KVM switch
>>my 19 inch CRT.
>>I have NO idea about KVM switches - is it likely to degrade the image? Is
>>this a crazy idea for a "High end" video card? I would hope to use one of
>>the all-in-one KVM with no external power.
>>Will be hooking my old Dell 8250 to the other side of the KVM switch and
>>using it as a file server/storage on my home network - will want to see
>>what
>>it is up to from time to time
>>Thanks
>>Tim
>>Australia
>
> I've used KVM switches for years. Never had a problem with video
> degradation.
>
> Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones. All that I've
> ever used came with one of those ubiquitous transformers that is
> de rigueur for any self-respecting peripheral you want to hang on
> a computer.
>

> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I have a Cables-to-go KVM. No power supply. Works flawlessly.

Tom

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote

>> "Tack" <gottabekiddin@nospam.com> wrote:

>>>I would hope to use one of the all-in-one KVM with no external power.

>> Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones. All that I've
>> ever used came with one of those ubiquitous transformers that is
>> de rigueur for any self-respecting peripheral you want to hang on
>> a computer.

>Cables-to-go KVM. No power supply. Works flawlessly.

Damn! Stop keeping up with the computer press on a weekly
[monthly, or even annual] basis and those computer technology
advances just fly right past you, don't they?

I *know* I gave up that "cutting edge desire, whether needed or
not" thing long ago, but I didn't realize how much I've missed.
Next thing you know, someone will be telling me Intel's come out
with something better than the 80486.

[;-> for those who need it made explicit]
--
OJ III

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

thanks to both of you for the comments!
Tim

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Tack" <gottabekiddin@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>Looking at sending my video output from my new Dell 8400 via a KVM switch
>>my 19 inch CRT.
>>I have NO idea about KVM switches - is it likely to degrade the image? Is
>>this a crazy idea for a "High end" video card? I would hope to use one of
>>the all-in-one KVM with no external power.
>>Will be hooking my old Dell 8250 to the other side of the KVM switch and
>>using it as a file server/storage on my home network - will want to see
>>what
>>it is up to from time to time
>>Thanks
>>Tim
>>Australia
>
> I've used KVM switches for years. Never had a problem with video
> degradation.
>
> Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones. All that I've
> ever used came with one of those ubiquitous transformers that is
> de rigueur for any self-respecting peripheral you want to hang on
> a computer.
>

> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones.

They can draw power from the keyboard, mouse, or (where applicable)
USB ports that are connected to the client computers. They tend to
work better where you can add the Wall Wart(tm).

William P.N. Smith wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Didn't know they had any "no external power" ones.

>They can draw power from the keyboard, mouse, or (where applicable)
>USB ports that are connected to the client computers. They tend to
>work better where you can add the Wall Wart(tm).

Thanks, William. I'm still in the dark ages, though. My
preferred KB and rodent are the tacky, creaky, and outdated PS2
connection styles. Mebbe someday I'll need to join the 21st
century, but ...
--
OJ III

Ogden Johnson III <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>William P.N. Smith wrote:
>>They can draw power from the keyboard, mouse

>preferred KB and rodent are the tacky, creaky, and outdated PS2

PS2 connectors provide more power than USB ones do, so you're actually
better off with them. Besides, all BIOS indications to the contrary,
USB keyboards and mice don't work very well in "legacy" mode.

tack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

FWIW, I thought I would let you know the outcome
Bout a "Dick Smith 4 port KVM" (Australian...) AUS$80. No external
transformer needed. Gets its power from the PS2...
Powers my Microsoft Wireless desk top from the unit. Recognises all keys (As
long as the individual computers have the drivers installed). Picture
quality looks good at 1024x768 100Hz
Fast switching and scanning from the keyboard or the unit
Very pleased.
Thanks to all for their comments here.
Tim