Upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700

I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
me to the right software to do this?

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
rkinserlow at cox dot net
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

I don't know about netscape, but try eBackup from www.incahis.com

Fantastic for IE and OE.

Tom
"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
> me to the right software to do this?
>

> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Ray,
A good site from S. Cochran for OE backup info:
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Tom
"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
> me to the right software to do this?
>

> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

I'm pretty sure you can do the same with Outlook Express as with Outlook.
Outlook, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, and the Netscape family of products
all have the capability to export and import information including address book,
messages, and favorites. So network the two computers together (a crossover
Ethernet cable will do nicely if you don't have a router), make sure they are in
the same workgroup, share the C: drive on the old computer. Export everything
to the root folder of the old computer's C: drive, where it is easy to find from
the new computer. Export what you need when you work on the new computer.

.... Ben Myers

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:12:53 -0600, Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. <me@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
>month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
>programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
>storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
>new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
>book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
>from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
>from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
>me to the right software to do this?
>

>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>Lubbock, Texas
>rkinserlow at cox dot net
>homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire a
trusty P1 and upgrade.
Andy

"Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire
> a trusty P1 and upgrade.
> Andy

Pentium I systems do not natively have USB on the system board - unless
you've added a PCI USB controller card... ?

But the OP certainly could use a USB key of 128mb or larger. Win98 would
likely require some sort of driver install for it to be pulled off though (I
think).

Stew

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:48:08 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

>Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire a
>trusty P1 and upgrade.
>Andy
>
>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
>> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
>> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
>> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
>> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
>> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
>> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
>> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
>> me to the right software to do this?
>>

>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>> Lubbock, Texas
>> rkinserlow at cox dot net
>> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Actually, I bought a USB file exchange cable and software from
CompUSA. The idea of uploading everything and downloading would be
slower than snot running down a wall. It says it is USB 1.1
compliant, so I suppose my next question is how can I tell I have at
least 1.1 USB on my old computer?

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:48:08 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire
>>trusty P1 and upgrade.
>>Andy
>>
>>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
>>> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
>>> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
>>> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
>>> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
>>> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
>>> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
>>> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
>>> me to the right software to do this?
>>>

>>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>>> Lubbock, Texas
>>> rkinserlow at cox dot net
>>> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>>> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html
>>

> Actually, I bought a USB file exchange cable and software from
> CompUSA. The idea of uploading everything and downloading would be
> slower than snot running down a wall. It says it is USB 1.1
> compliant, so I suppose my next question is how can I tell I have at
> least 1.1 USB on my old computer?
>
> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1076891&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Stew

"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:48:08 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire
>>trusty P1 and upgrade.
>>Andy
>>
>>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
>>> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
>>> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
>>> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
>>> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
>>> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
>>> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
>>> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
>>> me to the right software to do this?
>>>

>>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>>> Lubbock, Texas
>>> rkinserlow at cox dot net
>>> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>>> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html
>>

> Actually, I bought a USB file exchange cable and software from
> CompUSA. The idea of uploading everything and downloading would be
> slower than snot running down a wall. It says it is USB 1.1
> compliant, so I suppose my next question is how can I tell I have at
> least 1.1 USB on my old computer?
>
> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> Lubbock, Texas
> rkinserlow at cox dot net
> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

If you have USB, then you have at least USB1.1. USB1.0 never really
shipped.

Tom

No problemo. Your XPS T600 uses an Intel-manufactured motherboard with Intel
440BX chipset. Its USB slots are USB 1.1 compliant.

If a Pentium 1 system with an Intel chipset had a USB slot, it would be USB 1.0.
I've not memorized the details of USB compliance for older motherboards with
VIA, ALi, SiS, and other non-Intel chipsets. Pentium II systems are a mix of
USB 1.1 and USB 1.0, depending on vintage. Later ones with the 440BX or a
derivative chipset are USB 1.1... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:49:12 -0600, Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. <me@nospam.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:48:08 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to retire a
>>trusty P1 and upgrade.
>>Andy
>>
>>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I am upgrading from a Dell Dim XPS T600 to a Dell Dim 4700 later this
>>> month. I have around 10 or 20 MB online for storing data and
>>> programs. I have 100 MB for pictures. I should have enough online
>>> storage to move everything I want to save from my old machine to my
>>> new machine. The one thing I don't know how to move is my address
>>> book and messages in Outlook Express to the new machine. I'm going
>>> from Win98Se to XP Pro. I would also like to move my favorites list
>>> from IE and bookmarks from Netscape. Can someone advise me or point
>>> me to the right software to do this?
>>>

>>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>>> Lubbock, Texas
>>> rkinserlow at cox dot net
>>> homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>>> webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html
>>

>Actually, I bought a USB file exchange cable and software from
>CompUSA. The idea of uploading everything and downloading would be
>slower than snot running down a wall. It says it is USB 1.1
>compliant, so I suppose my next question is how can I tell I have at
>least 1.1 USB on my old computer?
>
>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>Lubbock, Texas
>rkinserlow at cox dot net
>homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Ben,

I'm sorry, but this isn't true, at least to my understanding. The only
USB1.0 machines were very early Compaqs that only supported their webcam.
Past that, all were 1.1

> No problemo. Your XPS T600 uses an Intel-manufactured motherboard with
> Intel
> 440BX chipset. Its USB slots are USB 1.1 compliant.
>
> If a Pentium 1 system with an Intel chipset had a USB slot, it would be
> USB 1.0.
> I've not memorized the details of USB compliance for older motherboards
> with
> VIA, ALi, SiS, and other non-Intel chipsets. Pentium II systems are a mix
> of
> USB 1.1 and USB 1.0, depending on vintage. Later ones with the 440BX or a
> derivative chipset are USB 1.1... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:49:12 -0600, Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
> <me@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:48:08 GMT, "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Could you not use a USB storage device to do this? Getting ready to
>>>retire a
>>>trusty P1 and upgrade.
>>>Andy
>>>
>>>"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <me@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>Actually, I bought a USB file exchange cable and software from
>>CompUSA. The idea of uploading everything and downloading would be
>>slower than snot running down a wall. It says it is USB 1.1
>>compliant, so I suppose my next question is how can I tell I have at
>>least 1.1 USB on my old computer?
>>
>>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
>>Lubbock, Texas
>>rkinserlow at cox dot net
>>homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
>>webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Well, there were all sorts of late Pentium MMX motherboards built with a USB 1.0
port. Case in point... The spec fot the Intel Advanced/RH "Rhinestone" LPX
motherboard with the 430HX chipset cites the USB Revision 1.0 spec, dated
January 15, 1996. The 430HX chipset was just about the end of the line for
Intel's Triton chipsets which supported the Pentium CPUs. The Pentium
motherboards in many name-brand systems including Dell, IBM, DEC, Compaq, HP,
AST, and Packard Bell all had Triton chipsets and poorly working USB 1.0 ports.
My rule of thumb has always been that USB did not work worth a darn in a
Pentium-class system. As always, release 1.0 of anything in this industry,
software or hardware, represents a mass-produced prototype.

By the time Socket 7 reached its zenith (not the one-time computer brand,
though), AMD K6-2 systems with VIA chipsets had much the more respectable USB
1.1, comparable to the Pentium 2/3 systems... Ben Myers