Webserver

August 22, 2005 11:22:51 AM

Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
desktop.

The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
scripts.

Thank you

More about : webserver

August 22, 2005 11:22:52 AM

In news:f3fOe.84218$vj.78317@pd7tw1no,
-------- <no@spam.com> had this to say:

> Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use,
> preferably shareware version of a webserver software that could be
> used on XP Pro desktop.
>
> The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and
> CGI scripts.
>
> Thank you

Apache... Get the PHP with it and it *should* come with CGI already. It's
also free.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:19:11 PM

-------- wrote on Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:22:51 GMT:

> Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
> shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
> desktop.

XP Pro comes with IIS. Just make sure you patch it regularly and have a good
dig around Google for articles on locking it down. Or as Galen pointed out,
Apache will work fine too.

> The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
> scripts.

What sort of "CGI scripts". CGI is an interface specification, not a
language specification. I myself write CGI apps in Visual Basic 6, but
you'll find very few web servers (and certainly not Apache AFAIK) that can
deal with those unless they have been compiled as "standard CGI"
executables. Are you talking C/C++ binaries, Perl, Python, something else?
Almost everything can be handled in IIS by use of 3rd party ISAPI filters,
or for binaries they will run in IIS from any virtual directory set up for
script execution. PHP will run on IIS too. And IIS comes with ASP (try
running that free of charge on Apache - AFAIK you have to purchase the ASP
plugin from Sun that used to be Chili!ASP).

Dan
August 22, 2005 4:38:58 PM

http://www.aprelium.com/
http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php.html

"--------" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
> shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
> desktop.
>
> The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
> scripts.
>
> Thank you

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:24:53 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:22:51 GMT, "--------" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
>shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
>desktop.
>
>The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
>scripts.
>
>Thank you

The major limitation of IIS running on XP Pro is the connection limit:
10. That's a pretty piss-poor website connection availability, if you
ask me.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:48:39 AM

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Tuesday 23 August 2005 06:24 pm, NobodyMan had
this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:22:51 GMT, "--------" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
>>shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
>>desktop.
>>
>>The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
>>scripts.
>>
>>Thank you
>>
> The major limitation of IIS running on XP Pro is the connection limit:
> 10. That's a pretty piss-poor website connection availability, if you
> ask me.

I can't believe it, but here's a post from you that I totally agree
with. :-)

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 03:48:39 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>begin  trojan.vbs ... On Tuesday 23 August 2005 06:24 pm, NobodyMan had
>this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:22:51 GMT, "--------" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone recommend from their experience a good easy to use, preferably
>>>shareware version of a webserver software that could be used on XP Pro
>>>desktop.
>>>
>>>The webserver would need to be able to understand and execute PHP and CGI
>>>scripts.
>>>
>>>Thank you
>>>
>> The major limitation of IIS running on XP Pro is the connection limit:
>> 10. That's a pretty piss-poor website connection availability, if you
>> ask me.
>
>I can't believe it, but here's a post from you that I totally agree
>with. :-)

As long as we're not arguing about what OS is better, I think we may
share a few other similiar thoughts.
!