Install OS in external Hard Disk

August 22, 2005 5:03:24 AM

I want to install windows 2003 in my external hard disk connect thro
USB. I have win xp in my primary hard disk. Can it be doen. Please
advise.

Vasanth
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:48:39 AM

In My BIOS I have a option to Boot thro my USB.Then can I install
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:36:02 AM

Hi,

Please note that even if your BIOS supports usb booting, you will need
additional software to be installed.

even i tried this option and when it came to selecting the partition on the
external hdd, windows gave an explaination saying that this was not supported
and some additional drivers had to be installed.
--
Regards
M. Rajesh

"vasanthkumarvk@gmail.com" wrote:

> In My BIOS I have a option to Boot thro my USB.Then can I install

Related resources
August 22, 2005 8:19:50 AM

In news:1124697804.225545.102370@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
vasanthkumarvk@gmail.com <vasanthkumarvk@gmail.com> had this to say:

> I want to install windows 2003 in my external hard disk connect thro
> USB. I have win xp in my primary hard disk. Can it be doen. Please
> advise.
>
> Vasanth

Only if your MOBO supports booting to USB devices. If it does then you
should be able to see it during the installation process and opt to install
it there. You are aware that it will run pretty slowly?

http://kgiii.info/windows/all/general/device_speeds.htm...

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:45:57 AM

A Windows operating system cannot be installed on an external drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Vasanth"wrote:

| I want to install windows 2003 in my external hard disk connect thro
| USB. I have win xp in my primary hard disk. Can it be doen. Please
| advise.
|
| Vasanth
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:12:48 PM

Removable and not even that is 100% encompassing now that there
are external SATA drives that to Windows looks like a "Fixed Drive".

>A Windows operating system cannot be installed on an external drive.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Vasanth"wrote:
>
> | I want to install windows 2003 in my external hard disk connect thro
> | USB. I have win xp in my primary hard disk. Can it be doen. Please
> | advise.
> |
> | Vasanth

August 22, 2005 2:33:00 PM

In news:upJ0ydxpFHA.3340@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Carey Frisch [MVP] <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> had this to say:

> A Windows operating system cannot be installed on an external drive.
>

>> I want to install windows 2003 in my external hard disk connect thro
>> USB. I have win xp in my primary hard disk. Can it be doen. Please
>> advise.
>>
>> Vasanth

Well, I dunno about all that... For instance (not directly but it seems
logical that it can be done...) how about installing *NIX and then using one
of the VMWare type applications and loading it there? A number of *NIX
builds run fine from a USB device. It'd be pretty insane, run slower than
dirt, and if this is flash memory have a rather limited life span... <g>
Seems to me it "can" be done if one's insane enough to try it.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
August 23, 2005 3:43:14 AM

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:o rr1usxpFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Removable and not even that is 100% encompassing now that there
> are external SATA drives that to Windows looks like a "Fixed Drive".

Mr. McCarty:
I would appreciate clarification of your above comment. First of all, I
believe you would agree that to the best of our knowledge, one cannot boot
from a USB external HD containing the XP OS, at least those external devices
containing the usual (IDE) PATA hard drive. And as far as I know, a SATA
drive used as a USB external HD is similarly not bootable in an XP
environment.

I assume your comment about "external SATA drives that to Windows looks like
a Fixed Drive" (and thus are bootable to an XP OS), refers to those external
enclosures (usually a combo USB/SATA unit) that can contain a SATA drive and
utilize a SATA data connection. In those instances an *external* SATA data
port on the computer would be necessary to make that device practical in
terms of its capability of booting to XP. Many of the newer motherboards
contain such a port so it would appear this could be a practical & effective
solution overcoming the limitation of USB external hard drives in this area.
I haven't yet worked with any of these devices, and assuming you have, I
would be interested in learning of your experience with them.

BTW, I infer from your comment about removable drives (at least I *think*
you're referring to removable hard drives in mobile racks) that you're
questioning the booting capability of those devices. Based upon my
considerable experience with removable hard drives over the past five years
or so, I've found virtually *no* problem in this area when using these
devices. In fact, I strongly recommend their installation for many users.
Yes, like any other computer component, we'll come across a defective unit
now and then. But by & large, in my experience, they work, and work well.

Note to Vasanth...
As Carey has informed you, you cannot *directly* install the Windows XP OS
(I assume that's the OS you're referring to) to a USB external HD; however,
using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True
Image, you can "clone" the contents of your internal HD containing the
Windows XP to the USBEHD. While the USBEHD will not be bootable under those
circumstances, you can "re:clone" the contents of the USBEHD back to your
internal HD for restoration purposes.
Anna

P.S.
Coincidentally, another acquaintance of mine has just informed me that he
has found a way to boot XP from a USBEHD. While I've heard that story so
many times before, I've *never* witnessed a single successful effort in this
area. But this fellow is quite knowledgeable and he promised to provide me
with details of his accomplishment within the next few days. Should it
materialize, I'll post the info.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:03:48 AM

Anna,

About the terminology. XP won't install to Removable devices
and in most cases this includes external devices. I myself have a
IDE Tray in my PC. However, while the physical device is removable
-it's connection to the PC is not, so XP enumerates the device as
it would any "Fixed" drive.

I have a external Maxtor drive on a USB2 port. It's fine for what
it does but both USB and to some extent Firewire has a high amount
of "Overhead" that reduces their throughput. Because of this my
external has a fairly low average of around ~25 Megabytes a second.

SCSI has provided external drive support for a long time and the
new iSCSI (Serial) will have the same. I'm testing an external SATA
drive to be able to obtain higher throughput and bootable capability.
There are a number of SATA cards that have external connectors.
The new SATA-II standards raise the throughput up to 300 Megs
a second. Later this year, commercial vendors will offer SATA type
external drives. I also have seen where many devices will have all
three technology interfaces (USB2, Firewire & SATA-II).

Anyway it's new and something to consider as a faster/bootable
external option. It's performance mirrors that of traditional internal
SATA drives. As of now there are only a few vendors who provide
external SATA drive enclosures - but more will appear.

"Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
news:o fE4IT5pFHA.3888@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> [...]
> however, using a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
> Acronis True Image, you can "clone" the contents of your internal HD
> containing the Windows XP to the USBEHD. While the USBEHD will not be
> bootable under those circumstances, you can "re:clone" the contents of the
> USBEHD back to your internal HD for restoration purposes.
> Anna
>
> P.S.
> Coincidentally, another acquaintance of mine has just informed me that he
> has found a way to boot XP from a USBEHD. While I've heard that story so
> many times before, I've *never* witnessed a single successful effort in
> this area. But this fellow is quite knowledgeable and he promised to
> provide me with details of his accomplishment within the next few days.
> Should it materialize, I'll post the info.

August 23, 2005 3:42:07 PM

news:o uKRTJ9pFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Anna,
>
> About the terminology. XP won't install to Removable devices
> and in most cases this includes external devices. I myself have a
> IDE Tray in my PC. However, while the physical device is removable
> -it's connection to the PC is not, so XP enumerates the device as
> it would any "Fixed" drive.
>
> I have a external Maxtor drive on a USB2 port. It's fine for what
> it does but both USB and to some extent Firewire has a high amount
> of "Overhead" that reduces their throughput. Because of this my
> external has a fairly low average of around ~25 Megabytes a second.
>
> SCSI has provided external drive support for a long time and the
> new iSCSI (Serial) will have the same. I'm testing an external SATA
> drive to be able to obtain higher throughput and bootable capability.
> There are a number of SATA cards that have external connectors.
> The new SATA-II standards raise the throughput up to 300 Megs
> a second. Later this year, commercial vendors will offer SATA type
> external drives. I also have seen where many devices will have all
> three technology interfaces (USB2, Firewire & SATA-II).
>
> Anyway it's new and something to consider as a faster/bootable
> external option. It's performance mirrors that of traditional internal
> SATA drives. As of now there are only a few vendors who provide
> external SATA drive enclosures - but more will appear.

Mr. McCarty:
Not to belabor the issue, but I think we have a problem with terminology.
When I refer to "removable" hard drives, I am referring to IDE-PATA or SATA
drives contained in a mobile rack which is affixed to the computer. As such,
the hard drive in this case is indeed recognized as a "fixed" drive,
identical in *all* respects to a "normal" internal hard drive. As such, it
has full capability like any other internal HD including installing a
bootable XP OS on it. Obviously, when one removes the drive from the
computer (after all, that's why it's called a "removable drive") it no
longer serves as a functioning drive until it once again is connected to the
computer.

I certainly agree with your assessment of the SATA external hard drives
being a major step forward (assuming they work as they are supposed to
work), although I don't really think the SATA II standard will have any
"real-life" significant performance enhancement for some time to come. As
I'm sure you know even the present SATA I standard of 150 Gbps hasn't been
realized in terms of really major performance improvement over IDE-PATA
drives. But having said this, with the price of SATA II drives continually
falling (and thus being quite competitive with SATA I drives), there would
seem to be *no* reason why the consumer should not purchase this type of
drive rather than the SATA I variety.

As I previously stated, I haven't as yet worked with SATA drives in an
external enclosure that can be connected to an external SATA port on the
computer. I would be interested in learning of the experiences of those who
have used this device.
Anna
!