Restarting: Is this bad style

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Recently at my house I have battling back and forth with two friends
for the coveted GC spot on S*TNG. They have started to restart the game
after a less than stellar first ball. Sometimes we can go a half hour
or so without even playing a second ball. Much to their dismay I have
resorted to taking the keys out of the machine. I did not have this
problem at first but once scores started topping 5 bil or so the
restarts became the norm. I'm of the mind this is bad style. You
never know what's going to happen on ball 2. I was wondering is this a
common practice among home players, and do most find this acceptable or
not. BTW currently I'm on top with 9.1 bil followed by 8.9 bil and 8.8
bil. Very heated between the 3 of us. 3-ball game with one buy-in
allowed.
DOC

I often restart games but only when playing alone. I never restart when
playing with friends.

Never restart.

I don't buy-in either. It's about who can play a game, not who has
another credit or 50 cents in their pocket.

It's kinda like golf. No Mulligans on the PGA tour.

In short, ditto otto.

I do not find it acceptable, and it is potentially
harmful to some games. Not allowed here.

Only poor players resort to this, IMO

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
======================================

DOC wrote:
I was wondering is this a
> common practice among home players, and do most find this acceptable or
> not.

I don't like it and don't do it, as you say, a bad 1st ball can proceed
a perfect 2nd ball. And if you play half an hour you would have gotten
a good ball anyway (unless you're half asleep/drunk..)

I suggest you set adjustment 'game restart' (or whatever it is called,
it's somewhere under A.1 in the menu) from slow/immediate to 'none' so
they can't start a new game and really have to finish it first.

At home I also adjust settings so games are reset at the minimum number
of plays available. This way only the GC is kept and other high scores
are reset more often (by default it will take a very long time in
homeplay). I think the minimum is 2000 games or so ?

Aeneas
-- http://www.flippers.be

I have found many times my last ball to be my best so I don't restart
anymore. Even when I did restart in the past it wasn't often. I think
you are cheating yourself out of the fun and excitement of trying to
catch up when you are down. It really adds to the enjoyment when you do
well after being down. Of course you don't always catch up. :)

Al

>They have started to restart the game after a less than stellar first ball

OK, so HOW are they resetting the game?

Once you are on ball two you can restart the game by holding down the
start button. (best way)

Since you took the keys I assume they open the coin door and close the
slam switch? (not harmful)

Do they turn the game off and on? (yikes!)

Kirb

DOC wrote:
> Recently at my house I have battling back and forth with two friends
> for the coveted GC spot on S*TNG. They have started to restart the game
> after a less than stellar first ball. Sometimes we can go a half hour
> or so without even playing a second ball. Much to their dismay I have
> resorted to taking the keys out of the machine. I did not have this
> problem at first but once scores started topping 5 bil or so the
> restarts became the norm. I'm of the mind this is bad style. You
> never know what's going to happen on ball 2. I was wondering is this a
> common practice among home players, and do most find this acceptable or
> not. BTW currently I'm on top with 9.1 bil followed by 8.9 bil and 8.8
> bil. Very heated between the 3 of us. 3-ball game with one buy-in
> allowed.

oh HELL no. The house rule is that you finish what you start, always!

Although, if I'm REALLY pissed at a game, I have been known to reach in
during the bonus count for ball 3 and trip the slam switch
deliberately. But I'm already _done_ playing at that point! Just my
entirely futile way of "getting back" at the game. :)

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

No restarts when the keys are out of the game. They are not aware of
holding down the start button. Before the keys were gone they would
open the door then enter and exit the menu to reset the game. They
don't turn the game on and off. It could resort to this. Competition
brings out the best and worst in people. I need to discuss this with
everyone and lay down the law. I have an open door policy at my house
anyone is welcome to play whether I'm home or not, and certainly no one
wants to gamage they games that provide so much entertainment.
DOC

"Did the USA give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I love that quote.....
for the few that don't know, it's from Animal House

Blaying by myself on location I often slam tilt a game if I do poorly
on ball one. My own logic is that Why waste my time on apoor game?
Also, doing bad on ball one can drag a whole game down, where doing
well on ball one can get you in the zone to have a stellar game.

I never reset or slam at home, and never never with anyone else playing.

Usually what happens is that I have a kick ass ball one and choke on
the rest of the game. Depending on the game I will restart
occasionally, more often if I have a bad ball one I'll start doing
goofy things with the ball like practicing dead passes or quick flip
passes.....

sdknews wrote:

> Did the USA give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Otter - "Germans?"

Boon - "Forget it, he's rolling."

>This comment raises a question. Is is harmful to power off a System 11 or WPC game mid game?

Not any more than it would at the end of the game. The only way it
could be harmful is if it was doing something that could get jammed,
but I can't think of one game that can't recover.

Resetting a game forces the game to re-boot. The game is designed to
start over, check for balls stuck places, and try to get the game back
to a starting point.

Kirb

Never restart. You never know when you'll have the miracle ball that
allows you to beat all previous scores. It just takes one.

> Never restart.

I try not to. Especially not at other peoples houses or at shows
(Akron, Zoo etc).

> I don't buy-in either. It's about who can play a game, not who has
> another credit or 50 cents in their pocket.

> It's kinda like golf. No Mulligans on the PGA tour.

Except that plenty of players take Mulligans. Just not at pro outings
:)

Unless you have some pro tournaments in your basement I don't see the
similarity between a pro golf tournament and playing pinball for fun in
your basement. PAPA would be a different story.

I think it is a courtesy thing. If you are restarting while people are
waiting to play then no. I could care less if someone was playing one
of my machines and chose to restart after a bad first ball.

.... as long as no one is waiting.

> Recently at my house I have battling back and forth with two friends
> for the coveted GC spot on S*TNG. They have started to restart the game
> after a less than stellar first ball. Sometimes we can go a half hour
> or so without even playing a second ball. Much to their dismay I have
> resorted to taking the keys out of the machine. I did not have this
> problem at first but once scores started topping 5 bil or so the
> restarts became the norm. I'm of the mind this is bad style. You
> never know what's going to happen on ball 2. I was wondering is this a
> common practice among home players, and do most find this acceptable or
> not. BTW currently I'm on top with 9.1 bil followed by 8.9 bil and 8.8
> bil. Very heated between the 3 of us. 3-ball game with one buy-in
> allowed.

Set the adjustment A1.33 for game restart to NEVER and that will take care
of it.

I set mine all to 3 ball with no game restarts and no buy-in.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Of course in that case, you could take the games off free play and let them
pay for their starts and restarts.

I am guessing the pay to play strategy will eliminate the restarts.

Otto

CARGPB11

"DOC" <g_pooper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an open door policy at my house
> anyone is welcome to play whether I'm home or not, and certainly no one
> wants to gamage they games that provide so much entertainment.

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

To enjoy the journey?

Otto

CARGPB11

"Cayle George" <caylegeorge@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Blaying by myself on location I often slam tilt a game if I do poorly
> on ball one. My own logic is that Why waste my time on apoor game?

Pfft! I don't need any training wheels thank you very much kenbo :)

Btw, I ended up with the black lightning bolt flippers on my BSD after
my playfield swap and shop, they look really nice :):)

pt

I don't restart any more. It seems like I feel guilty and
automatically have a terrible game as a result of a restart.

I haven't let any of my friends in on the "hold the start button" to
restart trick yet either. Finish what you start... Also, I let them
know that turning the machine off and back on again is bad due to the
inrush thermistor already being hot.

Say no to restarts!! Most of my best games ever have been due to one
or two great balls and have always seemed to include at least one SDTM
ball. The game is not over after a bad first ball.

John

First player option with no money involved in a multiple player game is
OK. First player can dump the game and move to last place, but only
once. Playing alone, who cares, play 1st ball over and over all night
long if you want, it's just practice. Money on the table, that's what
the practice was for.

Fred Kemper wrote:

> I do not find it acceptable, and it is potentially
>harmful to some games.

This comment raises a question. Is is harmful to power off a System 11
or WPC game mid game? I've often wondered about this, because if I
pull the plug on my computer I run the risk of corrupting the operating
system (or at least that is what I think is happening).

Rick Swanson

Did the Red Sox give up when they were down 3 - 0?

Did Indiana Jones give up when the idol was taken from him?

Did Picard give up when they were bested by the Borg?

Did the USA give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Never give up! Never Surrender!!

Besides...it's really bad form...

Darren

> Recently at my house I have battling back and forth with two friends
> for the coveted GC spot on S*TNG. They have started to restart the game
> after a less than stellar first ball. Sometimes we can go a half hour
> or so without even playing a second ball. Much to their dismay I have
> resorted to taking the keys out of the machine. I did not have this
> problem at first but once scores started topping 5 bil or so the
> restarts became the norm. I'm of the mind this is bad style. You
> never know what's going to happen on ball 2. I was wondering is this a
> common practice among home players, and do most find this acceptable or
> not. BTW currently I'm on top with 9.1 bil followed by 8.9 bil and 8.8
> bil. Very heated between the 3 of us. 3-ball game with one buy-in
> allowed.
> DOC

TRENDING THREADS