What happens to ASUS if Prescott Not Supported?

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
<A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4P800&langs=09#" target="_new"> ASUS I865PE Page claims Prescott support </A>

I bought this board yesterday because of this claim. If Prescott is not supported, can this be held against them?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
See this thread with link! <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=545789#545789" target="_new">thread</A>

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
In fact, mainboard makers have known that their current products do not support Prescott chips for weeks now, so, it is a mystery why, for example, ASUS still claims that their i865PE-based mainboard supports Prescott processor. Maybe they can guarantee it?
See this <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20030712011416.html" target="_new">web site</A>.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I doubt it's Asus who's lying, more likely somebody from AMD "leaked" the bogus info about incompatability in order to buy themselves some more time while they prepare the A64.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Check this <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/#20014" target="_new">link</A>.

You got some inside info, Crash?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
In fact, I do. That story from Anandtech, you notice they didn't mention which manufacturer? Has it occured to you that some manufacturers aren't following the recomendations Intel set forth 2 months ago?

If you cut corners on YOUR board, would you tell people it was your fault, and only your boards were affected, or would you tell people it was Intel's fault, and that all boards were affected?

In other words, what you're hearing is a rumor. And several sites picked up on the rumor. There are no sites showing technical data to prove the rumor, and no manufacturers have made a public statement.

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I hope so - if Intel wants my money next year, the only way they will get it is for the Prescott alone. I won't get a new mb as well.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
What do they mean with that VIN voltage? I've sorted through several official PDFs from Intel itself that state all specs for current 865/875 designs. There is no such thing as a VIN voltage at all - there was, however, a VIN voltage on obsolete designs (like sub-Ghz processors). If anyone knows exactly what to look for, could they help me? How can I find VIN voltage in the specs?

Anyway, the specific Prescott voltage requirements have been published by Intel for over two months now and there has been no errata or change. I get the impression that this is just a rumor - besides, ASUS itself is putting its *ss on the line here.

My bet is: Prescott is supported, at the very least, by ASUS 865/875 mobos.

Anyone help me with those Intel developer docs? VIN voltage?... <b>Crashman</b>, I need your expertise here! Maybe <b>imgod2u</b>? Someone? Please?

I'm guessing it is actually VRD 10, and that has been specced to be in the range of 1.05V to 1.55V since April. That's the only voltage that is specifically going to the processor itself in power charts! Therefore, this must all be BS. The Intel papers on prescott's voltage are out since April!

One more interesting detail... there is no other voltage on the power design chart that is even around 1V. This has to mean that the whole thing is BS. Can anyone prove me wrong?...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I hope you're right - I'm thinking of going with the 865 Asus board - due principally to the passive MCH heatsink - have read that the Abit fan is really loud (7000 rpm) - although, not being a gamer, the 2.6 or 2.8 C processor will probably hold me for a few years.

BTW - What memory sticks do you recommend with the P4P800 Deluxe (1 gig)? Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, I usually only read the parts of the document that refer to bus speed and voltage detection pins! Anyway, I've read several tech documents that were "summations" of the "new" spec (which actually WAS new back in April), and am fairly confident that many boards are going to be Prescott S478 compatable. Of course if you want garunteed compatability, maybe you should buy an Asus board?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These chipsets push the memory very HARD, and the best results I've seen posted on any review site have been with the Corsair XMS TwinX 3200LL modules.

Do you really have to spend more money for TwinX when the single modules are sold with the same spec? Your guess is as good as mine! But I do know that if you want to run 2-2-2-5, you'll need some kind of 3200LL modules or equivalent.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I for one, have also been looking around for any documents on this, I haven't really found any that says that Prescott won't be compatible. In one week, I'm probably gonna get another mainboard (unless MSI comes out with a BIOS that fixes my problems), so have you found out anything about which motherboards that supports Prescott? (Sorry for bugging you about this but you seem to be knowledgeable about these things.)

My first choice right now is the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. What would you think of that board?

Anyone else who've read anything new about whether or not the 865/875 chipsets are going to be compatible with Prescott?

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI *argh* / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
SamsungDVD / Lite-On CDRW

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Is the Corsair XMS line of product really worth it? I mean, there's a considerable price difference compared to other modules, for a small performance gain. Just my thoughts.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI *argh* / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
The Asus board you like is the only only one that claims that it is Prescott ready - but I emailed Asus Tech Support with that question 2 days ago & haven't received a reply either way. I have a feeling I won't get any reply.

I tried calling Intel - talked to "pre-sales", "some tech no nothing" and a rude mgr - I won't do that again.

Sorry I couldn't help - wanted you to know what I know.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Yeah for some reason Corsair choose to set a much higher price than it's competitors. of course they have the value series as well, with proper prices, but the XMS series are way overpriced, if you ask me.

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Where are you guys getting your prices from? I just ordered a 512MB PC3200 stick from NewEgg and decided on Corsair XMS since the price differences were negligible... $99 for Corsair Value, $104 for XMS, $109 for Kingston HyperX.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Yeah, wise decision ;)

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I wonder if my MSI 875P Neo board supports Prescott..

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro / Antec TruePower 550W / 2x Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /