Sign in with
Your question

Edimensional 3d glasses and lcd monitors

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 30, 2010 6:40:50 PM

My husband has a pair of the edimensional 3d glasses for gaming and is currently using a CRT monitor because the LCD monitor he has is useless due to the refresh rate on it. Can someone recommend a good monitor and what refresh rate should we look for? We looked at Acer but are still questioning their ability to keep the ghosting down. Plus they had no idea what a refresh rate was when we called them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The video card he uses is a Radeon 4650.
a c 195 C Monitor
May 30, 2010 9:34:57 PM

Those glasses were developed back in 2002 and were meant for CRT monitors, not LCD monitor which has refresh rates limited to 60Hz.

However, 120Hz PC monitors have recently been released which could probably work with those glasses. Note, 120Hz PC monitors and 120Hz (240Hz as well) HDTVs operates differently. A 120Hz PC monitor can refresh up to 120Hz with the right video card. The 120Hz (and 240Hz) HDTV refers to internal video processing and screen refresh.

You will need to have an appropriate video card which can support these 120Hz monitors. Currently all 120Hz monitors to the best of my knowledge (I don't really bother with these monitors) are limited to 1680 x 1050 resolution. The HD 4650 is really to weak for that resolution and doesn't even take into consideration pushing a 120Hz monitor. That video needs to be replaced.

I recommend at least a nVidia GTS 250 w/ 1GB video RAM. The GTX 200 and GTX 400 series will offer better performance. Normally I would recommend the Radeon HD 5xxx series, but currently they do not have working drivers for 120Hz monitors yet, they are working on it though.

The Radeon HD 4xxx series do have drivers that support 120Hz monitors. The minimum I would recommend is the HD 4850. The current HD 5xxx consumes less power than the older HD 4xxx series and supports DirectX 11 graphics. The HD 5750 is the equivalent to the HD 4850.

You should post video card questions in the Video Card section.

The ViewSonic VX2265wm is an example of a 120Hz monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2265wm-FuHzion-22-Inc...

!