Polk Monitor 60s-Overkill as rears in a 5.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diw321

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I currently have a pair of Polk Monitor 60s as my fronts on a 3.1 system (center is a CS2) driven by an Onkyo RC-260 (TX-SR608) as well as a BIC F-12 sub. I am looking to get rear speakers and wondering whether I would be better off leaving my current setup as is and buying polk monitor 30s or 40s for the rear or should I spring for the monitor 70s and move my 60s to the back? newegg has the 70s for $359 a pair or the 30s for $120, or the 40s for $150. What would be my best option here in terms of price vs. sound quality (I realize the 70s would sound best, but is it worth the extra $200 as an improvement over the 60s, and I already have a capable sub so bass isnt really an issue).
Thanks!

Solution
dont be a victim to model numbers.
because the model number is higher and the price tag is higher.. that doesnt always mean the quality is improved.

you need to hear the speaker to know if it sounds the same or worse or better.

companies do things that are misleading.
for instance, if you have the same model number on a speaker.. that doesnt mean they sound exactly the same.
what happens is, the company uses the same voice coil for a 6 inch speaker as well as the 8 inch speaker.
the change of the cone size can change the final result.

wishing you the best, what looks good on paper isnt always true when you try the product.

the same can be said about home theater receivers.
the product model number is higher.. but that usually means...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
dont be a victim to model numbers.
because the model number is higher and the price tag is higher.. that doesnt always mean the quality is improved.

you need to hear the speaker to know if it sounds the same or worse or better.

companies do things that are misleading.
for instance, if you have the same model number on a speaker.. that doesnt mean they sound exactly the same.
what happens is, the company uses the same voice coil for a 6 inch speaker as well as the 8 inch speaker.
the change of the cone size can change the final result.

wishing you the best, what looks good on paper isnt always true when you try the product.

the same can be said about home theater receivers.
the product model number is higher.. but that usually means there are more features and inputs.
that doesnt mean the amplifier is higher quality.
the amplifier might be worse when the number of features cut into the overall cost of the receiver and profit has to be made.

i dont think anything is overkill unless the speaker is too big and doesnt fit well in the room.

the truth is, some movies have inferior sound from the rear speakers compared to other movies.
those inferior sounds sometimes require higher quality speakers to help pour the effect into the room.
because sometimes those sounds arent meant to be listened to directly, they are supposed to help fill the room with 3d sound.

so its better to be prepared than be without.
and you can always listen to music from the front and rear speakers to give a better soundstage.
listening to music with surround speakers will reward the listener with more refined details.
its like louder details without having to turn the radio up.
time alignment will really help get those details to your ears, rather than lost in the air before it reaches your ears.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.