If Prescott not supported: 865/875, then by what?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
If Prescott is not supported and there are no roadmaps that would indicate any other chipset before Grantsdale, then does that mean we'll be seeing yet another chipset by september?... I wonder if this whole story is true... Which chipset is that?

Couldn't the mobo manufacturers work that 1.0 -> 1.5 VIN increase themselves, like some people suggested they might?

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Intel might release a <i>mongrel</i> chipset for early versions of Prescott which most PC enthusiasts will be staying well away from....until Grantdale (the proper chipset for Prescott) is released.

Try reading <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1826&p=2" target="_new">Anandtechs Intel Roadmap</A>

Just a warning to all chip enthusiasts...

<font color=blue>The Prescott core will be introduced at two clock speeds - 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz. The 3.2GHz part will obviously overlap with the forthcoming 3.2GHz Northwood part, while the 3.4GHz speed will be a Prescott-only core. The other thing to keep in mind is that both of these CPUs are <b>still Socket-478 parts</b>, you won't see the first Socket-775 CPUs until Q2 2004, which we will talk about next.

The 3.4GHz Prescott will close off 2003, but in Q1 '04 we'll see another speed bump to 3.60GHz. <b>This 3.60GHz processor will be the one to stay away from, because it is still a Socket-478 CPU.</b> In the following quarter, Q2 '04, Intel will introduce a Socket-775 LGA version of the 3.60GHz Prescott processor as well as 775-pin versions of the 3.2/3.4GHz Prescott processors.</font color=blue>

So it seems Intel might be releasing Prescott prematurely so its P4 line doesn't get eclisped by A64 leaving hardcore techies waiting till Q2 2004 for the real 775-pin version (with Grantdale chipset) while average joe rush out and buy the new duff Socket-478 Prescott.

On the subject of Prescott over the last 2 months I have been reading conflicting reports of when Prescott will be officially released some sites say Q3/Q4 03 and others say not till 2004.

Whats your take on timeframes ?

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

eden

Champion
That's logical, what you are saying, and it proves most likely that there were only rumors, not real facts that Prescott won't be compatible.
Intel always divulges the chipsets to come, in order to prep the consumers. Not telling us now, is just not possible. I believe they WILL be compatible, through a BIOS Update. There probably will NOT be a new chipset before a while. At least a "high-end" chipset.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/html/news.html" target="_new"><font color=red><b>Join the Tom's Hardware Guide Community Photo album, send us your pics!</font color=red></b></A>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
See this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=142773#142773" target="_new">thread</A>.

Read Crashman's comments.

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>