Is my CPU dead or some other problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Ive been running my current computer setup for nearly 2 years now. Using an Epox 8k7a motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 1600 (not overclocked).

Over the past couple of weeks theres been kind of a grinding sound when the computer first started. After it had been running for a few seconds it would stop and everything ran smoothly. I never had any performance problems at all. I was assuming it was coming from the hard drive but never had the time to investigate it. Not sure if this is related to the main problem now which is below.

Well, about 3 days ago, the computer started occassionally locking up. In nearly 2 years, it NEVER locked up until 3 days ago. It didnt do it terribly often, maybe 2 or 3 times a day. Then I noticed when I was trying to play Civilization 3 last night, it would lock up every single time on the intro screen.

I decided to call it a night and went to bed, shutting the computer down like I do every night. This morning I walk in, push the button and.... nothing. The power light in front of the case was on indicating that it had power, but no fans came on and no drives began spinning. Not even the power supply fans.
There is a red light on the motherboard that is on indicating that the motherboard also has power.

Does this indicate a faulty CPU? Does that explain the recent lock ups? What about the grinding sound Ive been hearing upon start up?

Thank you in advance for your assistence.

Enix

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
BTW, I have unplugged all components one at a time and tried starting without them with no success.

Reza

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
I guess it might have to do with your CPU fan or your Power Supply. My suggestion would be to open the case, do a good clean up, dusts get into the fans. And as you had your PC for 3 years, if you haven't cleaned it regularly, the dust might have get into your system. Remove the fan on the CPU, and clean it up. If that doesn't work, try replacing either the fan only, or the whole heat sink and the fan. After that, go for the Power Supply. Open it up, and clean that up as well, if your PC doesn't boot up still, consider replacing the Power Supply. I hope this will help.

maurito661

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
i have the sameproblem but my fans and everythingison but i know that my cpu is damage u guys thik the thats the problem that my pc doent boot

Status
Not open for further replies.