Windows XP, logon errors.

When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click on my
name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This is after I
get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18. Using control
userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows I cannot shutdown and
have to power off manually. I have removed all virus and spyware with Norton
and spybot. I have tried using my windows cd to see if I can get an option
for repair windows but because I have SP2 installed i get the message that
the current version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows logon errors

    Marky wrote:

    > When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click
    > on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This
    > is after I get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18.
    > Using control userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows
    > I cannot shutdown and have to power off manually. I have removed all
    > virus and spyware with Norton and spybot. I have tried using my
    > windows cd to see if I can get an option for repair windows but
    > because I have SP2 installed i get the message that the current
    > version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
    > repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.

    Regarding the Parser Message, here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot
    which may help:

    To get rid of this error you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go
    to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/<Name of theme in use> and rename the
    shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance
    tab.

    If that doesn't help and it should, more info here:
    http://www.jsifaq.com/subo/tip7400/rh7458.htm

    So, are you using a third-party theming application?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Sorry, I wasn't using a third party theme. I tried the suggestions anyway but
    did not work.

    Marky wrote:

    > Sorry, I wasn't using a third party theme. I tried the suggestions
    > anyway but did not work.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Marky wrote:
    >>
    >> > When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can
    >> > click on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a
    >> > password. This is after I get Parser Message, value creation
    >> > failed" at line 18. Using control userpasswords2 everything is set
    >> > right. Once in windows I cannot shutdown and have to power off
    >> > manually. I have removed all virus and spyware with Norton and
    >> > spybot. I have tried using my windows cd to see if I can get an
    >> > option for repair windows but because I have SP2 installed i get
    >> > the message that the current version is newer than my disk. I
    >> > believe that all I need to do is repair a few windows files but
    >> > don't know how. Please help.

    1. Does the problem occur with all user accounts? If you only have the
    one user account (aside from the built-in Administrator), create a new
    one and see what happens.

    2. Try clean-boot troubleshooting and see what is starting up with
    Windows and if something in Startup is causing the problem.

    Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
    and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi Marky, you need to slipstream your original WinXP disc with the SP2 patch. I've
    also included two other links at the end about SFC and shutdown problems.

    Slipstreaming links

    Autostreamer
    http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
    Instructions:
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
    Creating a bootable Windows XP

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83

    freeware CD burning application
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308029
    Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP

    Marky wrote:
    > When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click
    > on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This
    > is after I get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18.
    > Using control userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows
    > I cannot shutdown and have to power off manually. I have removed all
    > virus and spyware with Norton and spybot. I have tried using my
    > windows cd to see if I can get an option for repair windows but
    > because I have SP2 installed i get the message that the current
    > version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
    > repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.

Windows XP