marky

When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click on my
name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This is after I
get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18. Using control
userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows I cannot shutdown and
have to power off manually. I have removed all virus and spyware with Norton
and spybot. I have tried using my windows cd to see if I can get an option
for repair windows but because I have SP2 installed i get the message that
the current version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.

Malke

Marky wrote:

> When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click
> on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This
> is after I get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18.
> Using control userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows
> I cannot shutdown and have to power off manually. I have removed all
> virus and spyware with Norton and spybot. I have tried using my
> windows cd to see if I can get an option for repair windows but
> because I have SP2 installed i get the message that the current
> version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
> repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.

Regarding the Parser Message, here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot
which may help:

To get rid of this error you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go
to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/<Name of theme in use> and rename the
shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance
tab.

If that doesn't help and it should, more info here:
http://www.jsifaq.com/subo/tip7400/rh7458.htm

So, are you using a third-party theming application?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

marky

Sorry, I wasn't using a third party theme. I tried the suggestions anyway but
did not work.

"Malke" wrote:

> Marky wrote:
>
> > When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can click
> > on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a password. This
> > is after I get Parser Message, value creation failed" at line 18.
> > Using control userpasswords2 everything is set right. Once in windows
> > I cannot shutdown and have to power off manually. I have removed all
> > virus and spyware with Norton and spybot. I have tried using my
> > windows cd to see if I can get an option for repair windows but
> > because I have SP2 installed i get the message that the current
> > version is newer than my disk. I believe that all I need to do is
> > repair a few windows files but don't know how. Please help.
>
> Regarding the Parser Message, here is information from MVP Kelly Theriot
> which may help:
>
> To get rid of this error you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go
> to /WINDOWS/Resources/Themes/<Name of theme in use> and rename the
> shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance
> tab.
>
> If that doesn't help and it should, more info here:
> http://www.jsifaq.com/subo/tip7400/rh7458.htm
>
> So, are you using a third-party theming application?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Marky wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't using a third party theme. I tried the suggestions
> anyway but did not work.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Marky wrote:
>>
>> > When I boot my PC I no longer get the normal screen where I can
>> > click on my name, I get the logon screen and have to enter a
>> > password. This is after I get Parser Message, value creation
>> > failed" at line 18. Using control userpasswords2 everything is set
>> > right. Once in windows I cannot shutdown and have to power off
>> > manually. I have removed all virus and spyware with Norton and
>> > spybot. I have tried using my windows cd to see if I can get an
>> > option for repair windows but because I have SP2 installed i get
>> > the message that the current version is newer than my disk. I
>> > believe that all I need to do is repair a few windows files but
>> > don't know how. Please help.

1. Does the problem occur with all user accounts? If you only have the
one user account (aside from the built-in Administrator), create a new
one and see what happens.

2. Try clean-boot troubleshooting and see what is starting up with
Windows and if something in Startup is causing the problem.

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi Marky, you need to slipstream your original WinXP disc with the SP2 patch. I've
also included two other links at the end about SFC and shutdown problems.

Slipstreaming links

Autostreamer
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
Instructions:
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
Creating a bootable Windows XP

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Click the Windows XP Faq button and take a look at question 83

freeware CD burning application
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308029
Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP