Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new laptop and need advice

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 24, 2010 1:48:51 AM

1_What is your budget?

750-800 Maximum

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13-16

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Not sure - good enough to use with my TV at times

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not Important

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

No

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watch movies; Would like to use this sometimes as a HTPC-light...would like to watch streaming media/movies and surf the net using my 42" TV as a monitor.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

320-500

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

NewEgg but will buy from anywhere

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as I can

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Blu-Ray

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I have no preference

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks for the help. This is my first laptop, so I'm a bit confused

More about : laptop advice

February 24, 2010 2:36:48 AM

Hmph. For what you needed all before the blu-ray you could have gotten a nice little netbook, but since you need blu-ray this will do everything you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

By the way I own an msi motherboard and gpu and they are high quality so I would think the same for their laptops.
February 24, 2010 11:02:23 AM

Hmm, I didn't think about a netbook. Maybe I could live without blu-ray, if it could cut the price down a little. What netbook would you recommend?
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2010 4:21:52 PM

I don't recommend a netbook for Multimedia. Take my word for it.

Let me clarify this: You want a laptop you can take around, while being powerful enough to entertain you. If that's the case, the following will serve you well. Remember, the more you shell out, the more enjoyable of an experience you will have.

-Sony VAIO E
-Sony VAIO CW
-Toshiba M500
-HP DV4I (i have had bad experiences with HP)
- Dell Inspiron 15
- Asus K42 (they have about 4 laptops in this series. You can find this by going into the laptop section of Asus.com and going into versatile performance and searching for k42.)

Netbooks aren't worth it for this.
!