  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b \ Driver
August 22, 2005 5:45:47 PM

Hi

I'm struggling with the same driver problem which I thought would be easy to
solve as it concerns the Windows XP drivers which should automatically
recognize certain peripherals but doesn't seem to do so.

I have read the extract below and realised that my drivers have never been
updated (2001 versions) as I thought they had when I installed SP2

The problem is that the advice below doesn't work.

I come up against the same problem. Windows can't find the drivers.

Can sm tell me where they should be in my system or which ones to download.

On the microsoft site, they ask for the device and manufacturers name but I
want the general drivers for any plug 'n play device.

Any info really welcome as this is becoming a real headache.

Thanks
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that is
running Microsoft Windows XP, the universal serial bus (USB) drivers do not
appear to update.
CAUSE
After you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB
drivers appear with the earlier version numbers, even though the files have
been updated.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, install Windows XP SP2, and then update the drivers
for the USB devices that are connected to your computer. To update these
drivers, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc,
and then click OK.
2. Double-click the type of device that you want to update.
3. Double-click the specific device that you want to update.
4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
5. Follow the instructions in the Hardware Update Wizard.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each USB device.

Note You can also install Windows XP SP2, and then disconnect and reconnect
the USB devices that are connected to your computer. By doing this, you
start the Plug and Play utility. The Plug and Play utility updates the
version numbers for the drivers.

More about : driver problem

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 22, 2005 5:45:48 PM

Exactly which devices/drivers are you speaking about ?

"Dave Neve" <NoAddressForSpammers@Nofs.fr> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm struggling with the same driver problem which I thought would be easy
> to solve as it concerns the Windows XP drivers which should automatically
> recognize certain peripherals but doesn't seem to do so.
>
> I have read the extract below and realised that my drivers have never been
> updated (2001 versions) as I thought they had when I installed SP2
>
> The problem is that the advice below doesn't work.
>
> I come up against the same problem. Windows can't find the drivers.
>
> Can sm tell me where they should be in my system or which ones to
> download.
>
> On the microsoft site, they ask for the device and manufacturers name but
> I want the general drivers for any plug 'n play device.
>
> Any info really welcome as this is becoming a real headache.
>
> Thanks
> SYMPTOMS
> After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that
> is running Microsoft Windows XP, the universal serial bus (USB) drivers do
> not appear to update.
> CAUSE
> After you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB
> drivers appear with the earlier version numbers, even though the files
> have been updated.
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this problem, install Windows XP SP2, and then update the
> drivers for the USB devices that are connected to your computer. To update
> these drivers, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type
> devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
> 2. Double-click the type of device that you want to update.
> 3. Double-click the specific device that you want to update.
> 4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
> 5. Follow the instructions in the Hardware Update Wizard.
> 6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each USB device.
>
> Note You can also install Windows XP SP2, and then disconnect and
> reconnect the USB devices that are connected to your computer. By doing
> this, you start the Plug and Play utility. The Plug and Play utility
> updates the version numbers for the drivers.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 22, 2005 5:45:48 PM

Dave,
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard.

"Dave Neve" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm struggling with the same driver problem which I thought would be easy to
> solve as it concerns the Windows XP drivers which should automatically
> recognize certain peripherals but doesn't seem to do so.
>
> I have read the extract below and realised that my drivers have never been
> updated (2001 versions) as I thought they had when I installed SP2
>
> The problem is that the advice below doesn't work.
>
> I come up against the same problem. Windows can't find the drivers.
>
> Can sm tell me where they should be in my system or which ones to download.
>
> On the microsoft site, they ask for the device and manufacturers name but I
> want the general drivers for any plug 'n play device.
>
> Any info really welcome as this is becoming a real headache.
>
> Thanks
> SYMPTOMS
> After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that is
> running Microsoft Windows XP, the universal serial bus (USB) drivers do not
> appear to update.
> CAUSE
> After you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB
> drivers appear with the earlier version numbers, even though the files have
> been updated.
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this problem, install Windows XP SP2, and then update the drivers
> for the USB devices that are connected to your computer. To update these
> drivers, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc,
> and then click OK.
> 2. Double-click the type of device that you want to update.
> 3. Double-click the specific device that you want to update.
> 4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
> 5. Follow the instructions in the Hardware Update Wizard.
> 6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each USB device.
>
> Note You can also install Windows XP SP2, and then disconnect and reconnect
> the USB devices that are connected to your computer. By doing this, you
> start the Plug and Play utility. The Plug and Play utility updates the
> version numbers for the drivers.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 22, 2005 7:01:41 PM

Hi

I've tried this. I have a Via motherboard and I have installed the latest 4
in one driver which made no difference.

The only thing left is to flash the bios with a newer version but I hesitate
to do this knowing the risk.

Do you think it might help?

Thanks
"jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 140C4860-8341-4BDF-995F-F456F3C97EFA@microsoft.com...
> Dave,
> Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard.
>
> "Dave Neve" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm struggling with the same driver problem which I thought would be easy
>> solve as it concerns the Windows XP drivers which should automatically
>> recognize certain peripherals but doesn't seem to do so.
>>
>> I have read the extract below and realised that my drivers have never
>> been
>> updated (2001 versions) as I thought they had when I installed SP2
>>
>> The problem is that the advice below doesn't work.
>>
>> I come up against the same problem. Windows can't find the drivers.
>>
>> Can sm tell me where they should be in my system or which ones to
>> download.
>>
>> On the microsoft site, they ask for the device and manufacturers name but
>> want the general drivers for any plug 'n play device.
>>
>> Any info really welcome as this is becoming a real headache.
>>
>> Thanks
>> SYMPTOMS
>> After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a computer that
>> is
>> running Microsoft Windows XP, the universal serial bus (USB) drivers do
>> not
>> appear to update.
>> CAUSE
>> After you upgrade from Windows XP to Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB
>> drivers appear with the earlier version numbers, even though the files
>> have
>> been updated.
>> RESOLUTION
>> To resolve this problem, install Windows XP SP2, and then update the
>> drivers
>> for the USB devices that are connected to your computer. To update these
>> drivers, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc,
>> and then click OK.
>> 2. Double-click the type of device that you want to update.
>> 3. Double-click the specific device that you want to update.
>> 4. Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.
>> 5. Follow the instructions in the Hardware Update Wizard.
>> 6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each USB device.
>>
>> Note You can also install Windows XP SP2, and then disconnect and
>> reconnect
>> the USB devices that are connected to your computer. By doing this, you
>> start the Plug and Play utility. The Plug and Play utility updates the
>> version numbers for the drivers.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 22, 2005 7:01:42 PM

> Hi
>
> I've tried this. I have a Via motherboard and I have installed the latest
> 4 in one driver which made no difference.
>
> The only thing left is to flash the bios with a newer version but I
> hesitate to do this knowing the risk.
>
> Do you think it might help?
>
> Thanks

I'm not clear as to what your issue is. Is the problem that you don't have
USB 2 enabled? The VIA 4-in-1 drivers do not address this. IF it is USB 2
drivers, or the lack of them, that is your problem, check in Device Manager
under USB controllers. If you see "Enhanced USB" then you have USB 2
drivers. If you don't, you first should update Windows XP to SP2 whih added
USB 2 support. You can then in Device Manager remove all devices listed
under USB controllers and then reboot your system. Windows should then
recognize everything. I had a strange problem once on a clean install. My
XP disk includes SP2 and for some reason , USB 2 drivers were not loaded.
Removing the devices in Device Manager and then rebooting cured the problem.
!