Files for Bootable Recovery CD

I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?

Thanks

David
5 answers Last reply
More about files bootable recovery

    No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.

    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "David" wrote:

    | I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
    | and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
    | Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | David

    Thanks Carey, I am going to purchase a new CD, that would be the best
    process. I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process. Since I have
    Windows XP on my PC now, can I get the upgrade CD and if so, will it allow me
    to register the new CD when I install?

    Thanks again.

    david

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.
    >
    > How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "David" wrote:
    >
    > | I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
    > | and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
    > | Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | David

    An upgrade cd will require a qualifying product, whilst you 'may' have one
    installed now, you wont, unless you have the Q product cd if you need to
    reinstall

    "aspen" <aspen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Carey, I am going to purchase a new CD, that would be the best
    > process. I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process. Since I have
    > Windows XP on my PC now, can I get the upgrade CD and if so, will it allow
    me
    > to register the new CD when I install?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > david
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.
    > >
    > > How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > > "David" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during
    a move
    > > | and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster
    recovery
    > > | Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
    > > |
    > > | Thanks
    > > |
    > > | David

    David,
    "I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process". You are not alone!

    If you have had your current OS less than a year and it was a retail copy
    and you registered it you can get help from your local Microsoft. But may be
    quicker to just buy anew XP CD, make sure you get one with SP2 incorporated.

    If the OS is running OK now you can buy an upgrade XP CD (pro or home
    according to what you have got) and run a "repair install" NOW to change the
    ID using the product code from the new CD. However if you then have a
    complete crash you will not be able to reinstall from that CD unless you
    have a full valid copy of an earlier Windows OS.

    --
    Uncle John

    If I can't use the new CD if I have a crash, then should I remove the
    origanl XP from my lost CD and load the new one from scratch?

    David

    "Uncle John" wrote:

    > David,
    > "I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process". You are not alone!
    >
    > If you have had your current OS less than a year and it was a retail copy
    > and you registered it you can get help from your local Microsoft. But may be
    > quicker to just buy anew XP CD, make sure you get one with SP2 incorporated.
    >
    > If the OS is running OK now you can buy an upgrade XP CD (pro or home
    > according to what you have got) and run a "repair install" NOW to change the
    > ID using the product code from the new CD. However if you then have a
    > complete crash you will not be able to reinstall from that CD unless you
    > have a full valid copy of an earlier Windows OS.
    >
    > --
    > Uncle John

Data Recovery CD-Rom Windows XP