Files for Bootable Recovery CD

August 22, 2005 10:28:03 AM

I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?

Thanks

David
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:52:50 PM

No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"David" wrote:

| I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
| and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
| Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
|
| Thanks
|
| David
August 22, 2005 12:52:51 PM

Thanks Carey, I am going to purchase a new CD, that would be the best
process. I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process. Since I have
Windows XP on my PC now, can I get the upgrade CD and if so, will it allow me
to register the new CD when I install?

Thanks again.

david

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.
>
> How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "David" wrote:
>
> | I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during a move
> | and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster recovery
> | Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | David

Related resources
August 22, 2005 8:47:16 PM

An upgrade cd will require a qualifying product, whilst you 'may' have one
installed now, you wont, unless you have the Q product cd if you need to
reinstall

"aspen" <aspen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Carey, I am going to purchase a new CD, that would be the best
> process. I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process. Since I have
> Windows XP on my PC now, can I get the upgrade CD and if so, will it allow
me
> to register the new CD when I install?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> david
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > No, you'll have to find your Windows XP CD.
> >
> > How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> > Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> > "David" wrote:
> >
> > | I have backed up my entire "C" drive, how ever i lost my XP CD during
a move
> > | and Retrospect Backup ask for the XP setup disk to make my Disaster
recovery
> > | Bootable CD. Are there files I can download for this process?
> > |
> > | Thanks
> > |
> > | David

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:52:59 PM

David,
"I feel uncomfortable without a recovery process". You are not alone!

If you have had your current OS less than a year and it was a retail copy
and you registered it you can get help from your local Microsoft. But may be
quicker to just buy anew XP CD, make sure you get one with SP2 incorporated.

If the OS is running OK now you can buy an upgrade XP CD (pro or home
according to what you have got) and run a "repair install" NOW to change the
ID using the product code from the new CD. However if you then have a
complete crash you will not be able to reinstall from that CD unless you
have a full valid copy of an earlier Windows OS.

--
Uncle John

August 22, 2005 8:53:00 PM

If I can't use the new CD if I have a crash, then should I remove the
origanl XP from my lost CD and load the new one from scratch?

David

!