Sign in with
Your question

"Slow screwed"

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 24, 2010 9:02:49 AM

Hello,
My computer is so screwed up right now. It is extremely, extremely slow! It makes me want to go jump off a bridge. The more I try to make my computer run smooth and proficient, I end up worse off than I started. Windows is missing mad programs. Programs won't open. program windows and dialog boxes display (not responding). Wont read certain flash drives. Could be collateral damage from the onslaught of a recently removed virus(s). Have run all my a.v. programs,securities and utilities. Have downloaded various cleaners and defrags and registry optimizers to no avail. Cannot perform system restores. Event log loaded with errors. Shall I go on? Somebody help me with this cancer riddled p.o.s. I'm running Xp home on a 80G HDD, Hp laptop. 1G RAM. Using Cricket broadband.

More about : slow screwed

February 24, 2010 9:23:08 AM

Easiest way would be to buy Win 7 or Win XP OEM and just do a fresh install, imo.
February 24, 2010 9:30:41 AM

Do you have a recovery partition? If so have you tried booting from that?
February 24, 2010 10:57:52 AM

skrave - systems running xp should stay with xp, systems with vista on the other hand as much as there is nothing wrong with vista, can easily upgrade to 7

older hardware works best with xp and should stick with it

the general idea tho of a fresh install is the best thing - wipe the hdd and start from fresh, thats ofcourse AFTER you test all your hardware and make sure everything is 100% and you have your licence and drivers required for the reinstall (doubledriver can steal most drivers out of your system ready for a reinstall etc) - do it properly.
!