Problems with CD drive...

Mike

Splendid

Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up & the
disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on the
disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
Any suggestions?

Check this :
1. BIOS : Secondary Master is set to Auto or CD-Rom.
2. Safe Mode can read and write CD?
3. Device Manager->IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller->Secondary Master->Device 0->
PIO(Also check "DMA if available").
4. I have similar problem and let me know your results No.1-3.
My email is : bilclinton40@hotmail.com.

--
http://free.mizc.com

"Mike"님� 작성한 내용:

> Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up & the
> disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
> double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on the
> disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
> original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
> swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
> I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
> Any suggestions?

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Mike wrote on Mon, 22 Aug 2005:

>Recently, my CD-RW stopped working. When I put a disk in, it spins up & the
>disk icon will change (but doesn't display the name of the disk). I can
>double click the drive & it will open, but not show any of the files on the
>disk. Device Mgr shows it to be working ok, but no matter if it is an
>original disk or one that I have made, the results are the same. I have
>swapped drives, as well as cables, but see no difference.
>I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Dimensions 4500S.
>Any suggestions?

Hi Mike

Open Regedit and navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDrom

In the right-hand pane look for the value AutoRun and make sure it is
set to 1. If not, change, close Regedit and reboot.

Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl