Itunes Installation Problems

Hello,
I recently purchased and Ipod and i have been trying in vain to install
Itunes and the ipod software onto my computer.The thing is i used to have
Itunes on my computer but then when i purchased my ipod and tried to install
the software but it didnt work so i unistalled itunes but i did so
improperly. I then downloaded Windows Install Cleanup, with this is was
successfully able to delete Itunes. However i still cannot install the ipod
software or itunes from the disc that came with my ipod or from the apple
site. An error message keeps popping up. "1628: Unable to Complete
Installation" . The installation stalls a while at "configuring windows
installer", then proceeds to installing but not even a second later the 1628
message appears. I have tried many troubleshooting tips but none have seemed
to work so far. I have windows XP professinal and service pack 2. I have had
my ipod 3 weeks and i havent been able to install anything. I would greatly
appreciate any help.

Thank You.
Djeinam

More about itunes installation problems

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I recently purchased and Ipod and i have been trying in vain to
    > install Itunes and the ipod software onto my computer.The thing is i
    > used to have Itunes on my computer but then when i purchased my ipod
    > and tried to install the software but it didnt work so i unistalled
    > itunes but i did so improperly. I then downloaded Windows Install
    > Cleanup, with this is was successfully able to delete Itunes. However
    > i still cannot install the ipod software or itunes from the disc that
    > came with my ipod or from the apple site. An error message keeps
    > popping up. "1628: Unable to Complete Installation" . The installation
    > stalls a while at "configuring windows installer", then proceeds to
    > installing but not even a second later the 1628 message appears. I
    > have tried many troubleshooting tips but none have seemed to work so
    > far. I have windows XP professinal and service pack 2. I have had my
    > ipod 3 weeks and i havent been able to install anything. I would
    > greatly appreciate any help.

    1. Are you connecting the iPod to a USB 2.0 port?
    2. Did you install (or try to install) the software before connecting
    the iPod?
    3. What did Apple tech support say?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hey Makle,
    Thanks for answering. I know this might sound stupid but am i supposed to
    plug my ipod in while i install the software??? I have been trying to install
    the software before plugging in the ipod this whole time. I only plugged in
    my ipod when i had itunes running before i deleted it to see if it would work
    (i didnt). I have been writing to apple tech and they have sent me many
    solutions and troubleshooting for 1628, they are really helpful, but
    unfortunately none of it has worked yet. Thats when i decide to contact
    microsoft. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again.

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle,
    > Thanks for answering. I know this might sound stupid but am i supposed
    > to plug my ipod in while i install the software??? I have been trying
    > to install the software before plugging in the ipod this whole time. I
    > only plugged in my ipod when i had itunes running before i deleted it
    > to see if it would work (i didnt). I have been writing to apple tech
    > and they have sent me many solutions and troubleshooting for 1628,
    > they are really helpful, but unfortunately none of it has worked yet.
    > Thats when i decide to contact microsoft. Any suggestions?
    > Thanks again.

    With the iPod came a cd and an instruction manual with setup
    information. You are supposed to put the cd in and start the install
    and follow its wizard. No, you don't attach the iPod before you do
    this. This installation software is *not* the same as iTunes.

    Are you connecting your iPod with USB or Firewire? If USB, do you have
    USB 2.0 ports?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey Makle,
    Thanks for answering.I Have put the cd into the drive and tried to install
    my software ( i may be technologically challanged but i figured that much).
    The cd that came with my ipod containes the ipod software and version 4.9 of
    itunes aswell. Both are included on the cd. My problem occurs during teh
    installation. I have conversed with the support group at apple and we both
    think that my problem is stemming either from the fact that i had itunes
    earlier and uninstalled it improperly or from a problem within windows
    installer (installation stalls a while when "configuring windows intaller").
    The 1628: Failure to complete Installation error message always appears. I'm
    connecting my ipod with a USB and i do have USB 2.0 ports. Hope that teh
    information is clearer. Thanks again, i appreciate your help.

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle,
    > Thanks for answering.I Have put the cd into the drive and tried to
    > install my software ( i may be technologically challanged but i
    > figured that much). The cd that came with my ipod containes the ipod
    > software and version 4.9 of itunes aswell. Both are included on the
    > cd. My problem occurs during teh installation. I have conversed with
    > the support group at apple and we both think that my problem is
    > stemming either from the fact that i had itunes earlier and
    > uninstalled it improperly or from a problem within windows installer
    > (installation stalls a while when "configuring windows intaller"). The
    > 1628: Failure to complete Installation error message always appears.
    > I'm connecting my ipod with a USB and i do have USB 2.0 ports. Hope
    > that teh information is clearer. Thanks again, i appreciate your help.

    That *is* clearer, thanks. It would have been good to describe what
    "uninstalled it improperly" means exactly, though. Did you just delete
    the program folder instead of using Add/Remove Programs? Things to try:

    1. Do a System Restore to before you uninstalled iTunes and tried to
    install the iPod.

    2. If that isn't possible, install iTunes again by itself (not from the
    iPod cd). Don't bother to uninstall it before running the iPod
    software.

    3. If you run into a problem doing any installation, try the Windows
    Installer Cleanup Utility:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey Makle,

    What i mean by "uninstalled improperly" is that like you guessed i just
    deleted the program file without going to remove/add programs. I then
    consulted apple tech and they told me to use the Windows Intall cleanip
    utility. I used it and got rid of itunes properly. It doesnt appear in remoe
    or add programs anymore. its gone (except when i insert a blank cd into my
    computer teh option to burn a cd using itunes is still available, but when i
    clicke don it it just brings me to a list of other programs i might use,
    other than that its gone) So i used the windows install cleanup, but i still
    cant dowlad itunes or install the ipod software. (not from the interenet or
    the disc.) I can save it on my computer from the internet but as soon as i
    try to run the installation, i get the 1628: Failure to complete intsallation
    error message. I have tried cleaning my temp and teh other troubleshooting
    point soffere dby apple, but still no luck! I was suggested to uninstall
    service pack to and then reintsall it to install itunes. What do you think of
    this solution? What are the affects it will have on my files (music
    documents) ? Thanks again!

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle,
    >
    > What i mean by "uninstalled improperly" is that like you guessed i
    > just deleted the program file without going to remove/add programs. I
    > then consulted apple tech and they told me to use the Windows Intall
    > cleanip utility. I used it and got rid of itunes properly. It doesnt
    > appear in remoe or add programs anymore. its gone (except when i
    > insert a blank cd into my computer teh option to burn a cd using
    > itunes is still available, but when i clicke don it it just brings me
    > to a list of other programs i might use, other than that its gone) So
    > i used the windows install cleanup, but i still cant dowlad itunes or
    > install the ipod software. (not from the interenet or the disc.) I can
    > save it on my computer from the internet but as soon as i try to run
    > the installation, i get the 1628: Failure to complete intsallation
    > error message. I have tried cleaning my temp and teh other
    > troubleshooting point soffere dby apple, but still no luck! I was
    > suggested to uninstall service pack to and then reintsall it to
    > install itunes. What do you think of this solution? What are the
    > affects it will have on my files (music documents) ? Thanks again!

    I certainly would not remove Service Pack 2 for this issue. Try a System
    Restore to before you deleted the original iTunes or reinstall iTunes
    like I suggested in my previous post.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey Makle,

    My problem is that i *cant* reinstall itunes. Not from the disc, from the
    internet nothing. I keep getting the error message. (1628) I have completly
    deleted itunes (emptied my recycling bin and all) but i havent tried the
    system restore thing because i dont know how to do that could you please
    enlighten me? "Try a System Restore to before you deleted the original
    iTunes "
    Thanks so much for all the help so far!!!!

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle,
    >
    > My problem is that i *cant* reinstall itunes. Not from the disc, from
    > the internet nothing. I keep getting the error message. (1628) I have
    > completly
    > deleted itunes (emptied my recycling bin and all) but i havent tried
    > the system restore thing because i dont know how to do that could you
    > please
    > enlighten me? "Try a System Restore to before you deleted the
    > original iTunes "
    > Thanks so much for all the help so far!!!!

    Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

    "Restore my computer to an earlier date". Follow the wizard. Pick a date
    before you deleted the iTunes folder the first time.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey Makle
    Thanks for answering. Unfortunately no luck with teh System restore method.
    I cant do this because there are no restore points available! Any other
    suggestions? Thanks again

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle
    > Thanks for answering. Unfortunately no luck with teh System restore
    > method. I cant do this because there are no restore points available!
    > Any other suggestions? Thanks again

    You are now at the point where the computer needs on-site service.
    Someone needs to be actually able to see your machine and address the
    problems hands-on. This cannot be done in a newsgroup.

    Take your machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
    equivalent of BigStoreUSA). They will be able to remove all the
    registry entries left from your improper uninstall and see if there are
    other problems that are affecting the machine. There is no way you
    should go messing in the registry yourself. I don't say that to hurt
    your feelings, but am going based on the skill level shown from your
    posts. One false move in the registry and you can hose your Windows
    installation. Take your iPod with you so they can install it for you.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey Makle,

    Thansk for answering again. Don'y worry i am well aware of my skill level
    when it comes to computers (no offense taken), but it is impossible for me to
    do so, because im not in the USA anymore. I bought my ipod and then left the
    country. Im in West africa now. I can try contacting a professional here, but
    you told me not to go to the equivelant of a BigStore USA. Is my case
    hopeless? Thanks for all your help.

    Djeinam wrote:

    > Hey Makle,
    >
    > Thansk for answering again. Don'y worry i am well aware of my skill
    > level when it comes to computers (no offense taken), but it is
    > impossible for me to do so, because im not in the USA anymore. I
    > bought my ipod and then left the country. Im in West africa now. I can
    > try contacting a professional here, but
    > you told me not to go to the equivelant of a BigStore USA. Is my case
    > hopeless? Thanks for all your help.

    Obviously you will need to go to whatever is available where you are.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Exactly Right - I cannot tell you how many times I've been called
    for a problem/issue that if the user had stopped "Trying" all sorts
    of things it would have been much easier/cheaper to fix up. There
    are two things in everyone's house that are easy to screw up by
    not knowing when to stop working on them and call a professional
    - Plumbing & PCs.

    > Djeinam wrote:
    >
    >> Hey Makle
    >> Thanks for answering. Unfortunately no luck with teh System restore
    >> method. I cant do this because there are no restore points available!
    >> Any other suggestions? Thanks again
    >
    > You are now at the point where the computer needs on-site service.
    > Someone needs to be actually able to see your machine and address the
    > problems hands-on. This cannot be done in a newsgroup.
    >
    > Take your machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
    > equivalent of BigStoreUSA). They will be able to remove all the
    > registry entries left from your improper uninstall and see if there are
    > other problems that are affecting the machine. There is no way you
    > should go messing in the registry yourself. I don't say that to hurt
    > your feelings, but am going based on the skill level shown from your
    > posts. One false move in the registry and you can hose your Windows
    > installation. Take your iPod with you so they can install it for you.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hey,
    Thanks for all your help Makle. I have corrupt files in my computer. Im
    getting it re-formatted.

iTunes iPod Software Windows XP