Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2012 3:10:06 PM

Hey guys, here's my problem. My computer came with Windows Vista installed and I upgraded to windows 7 with an upgrade disc. I recently switched CPU and mobo and it runs like crap now. I know this is becuase of the conflicting drivers but here is what I want to do since I REALLY do not want to reformat my old drive. I want to install a 2nd internal drive and run the OS off of it and use the other for storage. But if I buy Vista for the 2nd HDD and use my windows 7 upgrade disc I will save about $50. Can the upgrade disc be reused or will I have to buy a full windows 7 package? Thanks for any help!

More about : windows upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 3:23:47 PM

Why would you buy Vista again for the same computer? You have a Vista license when you purchased the computer, and it will still be valid on the computer. You could also just use the Windows 7 upgrade disk, and do a fresh install (no installing Vista). Replacing or upgrading a HDD does not require a new Windows license.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 3:30:32 PM

He switched his CPU and mobo, so yes, a new copy will be needed. If your original Vista is a retail, you might be able to use it though. When I had a mobo croak, I was able to reactivate on its replacement, although I had to call Microsquishy's automated system to do it.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 3:36:00 PM

ss202sl said:
Why would you buy Vista again for the same computer? You have a Vista license when you purchased the computer, and it will still be valid on the computer. You could also just use the Windows 7 upgrade disk, and do a fresh install (no installing Vista). Replacing or upgrading a HDD does not require a new Windows license.

I never bought a vista retail version. I want to buy it for a new HDD so that I can use the windows7 upgrade disc that I alreay own. Vista only costs 30 on ebay and 7 costs 80. I was not aware you could use an upgrade disc for a fresh install? Also, Win7 is already installed on the 1st HDD which I am not getting rid of and I don't know if that will cause problems when trying to use it on a 2nd HDD. Sorry if I sound confused because I am :??: 
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:40:07 PM

Onus said:
He switched his CPU and mobo, so yes, a new copy will be needed. If your original Vista is a retail, you might be able to use it though. When I had a mobo croak, I was able to reactivate on its replacement, although I had to call Microsquishy's automated system to do it.

I would like to leave the old HDD alone and buy a new one to run the computer with. I already have a windows7 upgrade disc (which is already in use on the old HDD). I want to buy a retail version of Vista for a new HDD so i can save money and use the windows 7 upgrade disc i already have. Unless you acutally can use an upgrade disc for a fresh install?
m
l
!