Sales tax

I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and--- sales
tax collected.

It used to be that they only collected sales tax from the Business
division-- but are they now doing it for Home/Home Office as well?

Ike

Ira,
The following may have occurred since Jan 1st.
1. Your state may have passed laws effective 01-01-2005, requiring that sales taxes for items purchased over the Internet, be collected from out-of-state sellers. Even though the seller does not do any business from that state.

2. Dell may have opened some mall kiosks/stores in your state, and now is required to also collect sales taxes from their Internet customers from that state.

3. Dell may have opened, or is about to open, some facilities in your state. I know that Dell has operations in Tenn. Georgia may have some agreement with Tenn., about collecting taxes from their residents when doing business with a Tenn. company.

See article below, it states that Tenn. is participating in the Net Tax, as previously stated they may have a deal, that affects Georgia residents about collecting taxes from companies that have operations in Tenn.

4. I believe that I read that Dell is collecting the taxes for Internet purchases in 12 or 13 states, now.

Blame your state gov't, they just can't seem to keep their sticky hands out of individual's wallets/purses these days.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote in message news:Fn7Hd.264$PA2.146@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and--- sales
tax collected.

It used to be that they only collected sales tax from the Business
division-- but are they now doing it for Home/Home Office as well?

Ike

"Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:

>I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
>Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and--- sales
>tax collected.
>
>It used to be that they only collected sales tax from the Business
>division-- but are they now doing it for Home/Home Office as well?

What they're doing, probably at the request of the Georgia state
government, is collecting and remitting to Georgia, the use tax
you are subject to on all out-of-state purchases of items that
you would pay Georgia's sales tax on if you bought it at an
in-state, "brick and mortar" store, rather than from an online or
mail-order out-of-state business.

You, like residents of most states that have sales/use taxes,
haven't been declaring those out of state purchase and paying the
use tax due on them, probably because you didn't know you were
supposed to.

--
OJ III

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:34:45 GMT, "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
>Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and--- sales
>tax collected.

As of 21 December, sales taxes were being collected for orders shipping to:

Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio, Virginia,
Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.

Apparently, Georgia has been added to that list. As someone else pointed
out, it probably went into effect as of 1 January 2005.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
>>Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and--- sales
>>tax collected.
>>
>>It used to be that they only collected sales tax from the Business
>>division-- but are they now doing it for Home/Home Office as well?
>

> What they're doing, probably at the request of the Georgia state
> government, is collecting and remitting to Georgia, the use tax
> you are subject to on all out-of-state purchases of items that
> you would pay Georgia's sales tax on if you bought it at an
> in-state, "brick and mortar" store, rather than from an online or
> mail-order out-of-state business.
>
> You, like residents of most states that have sales/use taxes,
> haven't been declaring those out of state purchase and paying the
> use tax due on them, probably because you didn't know you were
> supposed to.

Riiiight, "didn't know you were supposed to", that's the ticket.

I've long thought the "did you make any purchases out of state" question
was a test for stupidity. Anyone who checks the "Yes" box gets socked
with an additional $50 Stupid Tax.

:)

Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III wrote:

>> You, like residents of most states that have sales/use taxes,
>> haven't been declaring those out of state purchase and paying the
>> use tax due on them, probably because you didn't know you were
>> supposed to.
>
>Riiiight, "didn't know you were supposed to", that's the ticket.
>
>I've long thought the "did you make any purchases out of state" question
>was a test for stupidity. Anyone who checks the "Yes" box gets socked
>with an additional $50 Stupid Tax.
>
>:)

Heh. I was trying to be generous. Although there's something to
be said for the philosophy "Never attribute to stupidity what
obviously is avarice." ;->

In VA, we as a business were required to submit a monthly report
on all out-of-state purchases on which sales tax was due,
including a check for the amount. Why we weren't doing it is
lost in the mists of time [it was a very, very small company, 10
employees max at our largest], but eventually the Commonwealth of
Virginia Department of Taxation sent an auditor to visit us, and
help us "remedy" the oversight. He sat in a back room for a week
going over every purchase order and invoice for the preceding 7
years. Must have cost the state $1500-$2000 in travel and per
diem for hotel room, meals, etc., over and above his normal pay.
Total delinquent use tax collection, including interest and
penalty, ~$250 bucks [even then, most of our out-of-state vendors
applied the sales/use tax in their invoices to us - this was
early in the WWW era so most were phone/mail orders]. This in a
state in which "pay as you go" was as much a state motto as "Sic
Semper Tyrannis" for over two centuries before 198mumble.
--
OJ III

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:34:45 GMT, "Ira Hayes" <redmanospam@xxxhotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I live in Georgia and bought a computer in December from the Home/Home
>>Office division-- no sales tax. I priced out another one today and---
>>sales
>>tax collected.
>>
> As of 21 December, sales taxes were being collected for orders shipping
> to:
>
> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio, Virginia,
> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
>
> Apparently, Georgia has been added to that list. As someone else pointed
> out, it probably went into effect as of 1 January 2005.

WRONG!! Georgia was collecting sales tax as of 11/30/2004 when I bought a
new computer, but I don't know how long before that. Those list you see
about who does what are almost never correct!!

Tom J

This was at the bottom of my recent order.
---------------------------------
Dell Home Systems collects tax on orders delivered to Texas, Kentucky,
Idaho, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio, Virginia, Illinois,
Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida. For shipments to other
states, tax relates to the third party service contract only. The
purchaser is responsible for remitting any uncollected tax on their
order directly to the local taxing authorities.

Dell cannot be responsible for typographical or other errors, and
reserves the right to cancel any orders resulting from such errors.
Without saying, I'm shirking my responsibility. No "stupid tax" for
me.

I did have a $16 tax for my service warranty though.