My computer's OS is Windows XP.

When I right click one directory, property dialog appeared.
But on the property dialog, the is no security tab. Therefore I don't know
how to setup the ACL list like in Windows 2000 environment.

Is something wrong in my computer ?

Thanks for any body's comment

AJang

Savage

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004

Try this :

Click tools - > folder options - View Tab , scroll to the last option
"enable simple file sharing" , uncheck it and apply and ok.
Now you will have a security tab , WINXP home , you might need to log into
administrator account in safe mode to do this.
--
________
NIC

In article <FD11BB23-F285-444C-BDB8-EB2E6CFEA243@microsoft.com>,
"AJang" <AJang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>My computer's OS is Windows XP.
>
>When I right click one directory, property dialog appeared.
>But on the property dialog, the is no security tab. Therefore I don't know
>how to setup the ACL list like in Windows 2000 environment.
>
>Is something wrong in my computer ?
>
>Thanks for any body's comment
>
>AJang

If you have Windows XP Professional, disable simple file sharing to
get access to the Security tab and ACLs:

1. Open My Computer and click Tools | Folder Options | View.
2. Scroll to the end of the advanced settings.
3. Un-check "Use simple file sharing (recommended)".

If you have Windows XP Home Edition, the Security tab and ACLs aren't
available in normal use.

I've heard of two possible solutions for XP Home Edition, but:

1. They're un-supported, un-documented, and un-tested by Microsoft.
2. There's no guarantee that they'll work.
3. They might cause data loss or corruption.

I haven't tried them, and I don't know whether they're safe. If you
want to try them, at your own risk:

1. Back up your important data first so that you can restore it in
case of problems.

2. Run System Restore to create a restore point that you can go back
to in case of problems.

Here they are:

1. Start Windows XP in "Safe Mode with Networking" (which temporarily
disables simple file sharing").

2. Follow the procedure shown here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Gordon

"AJang" <AJang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer's OS is Windows XP.
>
> When I right click one directory, property dialog appeared.
> But on the property dialog, the is no security tab. Therefore I don't
> know how to setup the ACL list like in Windows 2000 environment.
>
> Is something wrong in my computer ?
>
> Thanks for any body's comment
>
> AJang

What version of XP?

Gordon

"Savage" <Savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try this :
>
> Click tools - > folder options - View Tab , scroll to the last option
> "enable simple file sharing" , uncheck it and apply and ok.
> Now you will have a security tab , WINXP home , you might need to log
> into administrator account in safe mode to do this.

If it's Home edition the OP WILL have to log in as the Administrator, in
Safe Mode.

JohnSmith

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

In <FD11BB23-F285-444C-BDB8-EB2E6CFEA243@microsoft.com>, "=?Utf-8?B?QUphbmc=?=" <AJang@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
>My computer's OS is Windows XP.
>
>When I right click one directory, property dialog appeared.
>But on the property dialog, the is no security tab. Therefore I don't know
>how to setup the ACL list like in Windows 2000 environment.

Run cacls.exe on either version of XP.

For Professional Edition, "enable simple file sharing" do work.
For Home edition in safe mode, still have no option "enable simple file
sharing".
Thanks.

"Savage" wrote:

> Try this :
>
> Click tools - > folder options - View Tab , scroll to the last option
> "enable simple file sharing" , uncheck it and apply and ok.
> Now you will have a security tab , WINXP home , you might need to log into
> administrator account in safe mode to do this.
> --
> ________
> NIC
> ----------
> Savage
> ________
>

> "AJang" wrote:
>
> > My computer's OS is Windows XP.
> >
> > When I right click one directory, property dialog appeared.
> > But on the property dialog, the is no security tab. Therefore I don't know
> > how to setup the ACL list like in Windows 2000 environment.
> >
> > Is something wrong in my computer ?
> >
> > Thanks for any body's comment
> >
> > AJang

I like cacls.exe.