EM Tech help needed on King of Diamonds

I need some advice on what to look for in diagnosing a replay problem
on my KOD. Machine is set on free play. Credits can be added by
tripping the replay relay manually & knocker fires. Credits do come off
when starting a game. The problem is this:

When the SPECIAL lights come on for completing either the Ace to
King or 2 thru 9 cards, the rollover or spot light comes on, but the
switch is DEAD. Hitting it does not score points or issue a credit.
This also occurs on the ROTO target. All other targets/rollovers not
lit function correctly, and if the switch is rotated by the alternating
relay, it will score points. The ZA score control relay, ZB sequence
(ace-10) & YB 2 to 9 sequence relays all pull in at the proper moments.

There is something on the schematic called a 15th pos switch, a make
break type between the circuits for the replay relay and ZA score
control relay. Where is this thing? Could this be my problem? Is the
credit wheel assys at fault? Any other possiblities to check for ?
Thanks.

Pinball Bob

Frankie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001

The 15th postion switch is on the credit wheel assembly. It is the
switch furthest in. It is opened by a pin when 15 replays are showing.
It simply prevents anymore games from being added. If games are
credited at all on the machine, this is not your problem. Look for
something common between the two areas not working. Also check the
individual playfield switches.
Frankie

kul4skool1@hotmail.com wrote:
> I need some advice on what to look for in diagnosing a replay problem
> on my KOD. Machine is set on free play. Credits can be added by
> tripping the replay relay manually & knocker fires. Credits do come off
> when starting a game. The problem is this:
>
> When the SPECIAL lights come on for completing either the Ace to
> King or 2 thru 9 cards, the rollover or spot light comes on, but the
> switch is DEAD. Hitting it does not score points or issue a credit.
> This also occurs on the ROTO target. All other targets/rollovers not
> lit function correctly, and if the switch is rotated by the alternating
> relay, it will score points. The ZA score control relay, ZB sequence
> (ace-10) & YB 2 to 9 sequence relays all pull in at the proper moments.
>
> There is something on the schematic called a 15th pos switch, a make
> break type between the circuits for the replay relay and ZA score
> control relay. Where is this thing? Could this be my problem? Is the
> credit wheel assys at fault? Any other possiblities to check for ?
> Thanks.
>
> Pinball Bob

Thanks, Frankie. I think I can eliminate the 15th pos switch as a
culprit. Never heard of such a thing, so I didn't know if it could be a
problem or not. I got this game with some tampering having been done on
it, so it is possible whatever method to make it free play causes my
problem.

Can the pin contacts on the 0-9 unit be at fault here?

I don't know this game, but I'd start by looking at whatever relay turns
on the SPECIAL light. That relay probably has some leaf switches that
control the connection between the rollover and the credit/replay relay.
They may be dirty or bent.

In article <1121104731.251187.136270@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
kul4skool1@hotmail.com wrote:

> I need some advice on what to look for in diagnosing a replay problem
> on my KOD. Machine is set on free play. Credits can be added by
> tripping the replay relay manually & knocker fires. Credits do come off
> when starting a game. The problem is this:
>
> When the SPECIAL lights come on for completing either the Ace to
> King or 2 thru 9 cards, the rollover or spot light comes on, but the
> switch is DEAD. Hitting it does not score points or issue a credit.
> This also occurs on the ROTO target. All other targets/rollovers not
> lit function correctly, and if the switch is rotated by the alternating
> relay, it will score points. The ZA score control relay, ZB sequence
> (ace-10) & YB 2 to 9 sequence relays all pull in at the proper moments.
>
> There is something on the schematic called a 15th pos switch, a make
> break type between the circuits for the replay relay and ZA score
> control relay. Where is this thing? Could this be my problem? Is the
> credit wheel assys at fault? Any other possiblities to check for ?
> Thanks.
>
> Pinball Bob

Frankie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2001

The 0-9 unit is usually for the match feature and not involved. The way
I track down such problems is to make a photocopy of the schematic.
Then use a highliter on the copy to mark the entire circuit for the
feature not working. Since the special switch does nothing, first start
with it. If you have a multimeter, place it on each switch blade
connection and push the switch down (power off!). You should show
continuity. If not clean and adjust the switch. Move on down the line
and check where the switch wires go to next. Check the contacts on each
relay involved. I check the entire circuit. You can also use a jumper
wire to check for broken wires, or the multimeter again. Once everthing
is checked and cleaned, power it up and cross your fingers!.
Frankie

kul4skool1@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks, Frankie. I think I can eliminate the 15th pos switch as a
> culprit. Never heard of such a thing, so I didn't know if it could be a
> problem or not. I got this game with some tampering having been done on
> it, so it is possible whatever method to make it free play causes my
> problem.
>
> Can the pin contacts on the 0-9 unit be at fault here?

Frankie;

As I mentioned, each playfield switch operates correctly in normal
mode, so the leaf switches are OK. When the relays trip to light up the
special rollover or spot a card light for special, everything goes
according to plan. But the PF switch does NOTHING, not even normal
scoring. If the alternating relay changes to a different card, or the
other rollover, the switch scores points. In case you are not familiar
with KOD, there is a rollover for each card, Ace to duece, PLUS a ROTO
target for each card. Neither target scores specials.

Knocker fires when the replay relay is manually tripped,adds a credit
on the wheel, so the circuit is good.

Also, I just remembered, the game does NOT MATCH. Plugs are in for a
match, but getting the number does not add a replay to the credit
wheel.

Now that I am writing all this down, it seems to me that the credit
unit must be at fault, somehow. I will have to check to see if credit
add if the high score is exceeded.

Pinball Bob

kul4skool1@hotmail.com wrote:
> I need some advice on what to look for in diagnosing a replay problem
> on my KOD.

I don't know if you are local to L.A. County, but if you are, and if
you don't mind having a tech come over, I would recommend the one who
fixed several problems with my King of Diamonds and did not waste any
time finding the cause of those problems. He did use the schematic I
have but it sounds like you also have a schematic for this game so let
me know if you want me to have the technician call you to set up a
house call. (He has asked me in the past not to post his name and
phone number because he doesn't have the time to try to diagnose and
repair by phone).

Bob

PROBLEM SOLVED !

I noticed that ALL replay specials did NOT work, so something must
not be triggering the replay coil. The 15th position switch on the
switch stack in the credit wheel unit was CLOSED but not making
electrical contact. I filed and bent the switch more, checked
continuity, and voila ! It works !
Only took about 6 hours of head scratching, schematic squinting and
a few choice curse words.
Another one of those jobs that if you knew what to do, it would take
about 2 minutes. Since I didn't....

Thanks for all the input here, esp Frankie.

Pinball Bob

kul4skool1@hotmail.com wrote:
> PROBLEM SOLVED !
Congratulations. The satisfaction makes the time well spent. :)

TRENDING THREADS