Sign in with
Your question

TN, IPS, ghosting and gaming

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 1, 2010 7:59:04 PM

I`ve an eye on two monitors here. One is a TN (BenQ E2420HD) and the other is IPS (Dell UltraSharp U2311H).

Someone with experience with both monitors please shed some light on the issue. Is ghosting really that bad on an IPS monitor?

More about : ips ghosting gaming

a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 1, 2010 8:06:44 PM

I notice no ghosting or very little ghosting on my NEC LCD2690WUXi and Planar PX2611w monitors. Both use H-IPS panels.

All monitors experience ghosting to some degree, even TN panels.
m
l
June 1, 2010 8:07:45 PM

Well say 8MS. The IPS I am looking at has 8MS whereas the BenQ is 2MS.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 1, 2010 8:24:00 PM

Generally, the higher the response time the more likely you will see ghosting. But it can vary from person to person depending on how your brain processes the information your eyes transmits to it.

I'm sure when I play games there is some amount of ghosting taking place from time to time, but I am could probably be too focused on what I am doing to notice it. Or there's not enough of it where it is an annoyance. The NEC's response time is 6.5ms and the Planar's is 5ms.
m
l
June 1, 2010 8:24:45 PM

I see.

What can you tell me about LED then? It seems to be the new hype but are IPS better than LED? I went to a store and saw some LED TV`s and noticed the picture quality was insane. Does this apply to pc monitors as well?

I`d have to see a comparison in person but I can`t find any IPS monitors locally.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 1, 2010 8:40:12 PM

Here is a review of the Dell U2311H. The part about response time, ghosting and input lag is around the bottom 3rd of the review.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfu...

LED simply means instead of using traditional florescent backlighting the monitor (or HDTV) uses LED lights which consumes less power and can make the LCD monitor (or HDTV) thinner if edge lightning instead of the traditional full array backlight.

Backlight does not have much to do with picture quality. That's primarily reliant on panel technology. Of course if the white of the backlight is off, then that makes for a bad picture.

The only possible IPS panel monitor that you may find are from Apple. I assume they still use IPS panels on their larger high end displays. But that could have changed especially since they were trying to push a 24" TN panel monitor to consumers for $600 or so a few years ago. Hey, it's Apple...
m
l
June 1, 2010 8:42:26 PM

You know when you go to best buy and scope out TV`s how some are immensly superior to others? Are these IPS and the rest TN regardless if it is LED or not?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 1, 2010 9:15:48 PM

With the exception of really inexpensive HDTVs (which might use TN panels) most use S-PVA panels. LG typically uses S-IPS panels in their LCD monitors; at least on the higher end. For example, my LG 47LH90 uses a S-IPS panel and has full array LED backlight which allows for local dimming. Local dimming allows for sections of the backlight to be independently controlled.

"Immensely" superior can be somewhat subjective. Generally speaking, monitors / HDTVs with a glossy coating makes the colors "pop", but that means the screen is highly reflective (as in mirror). I don't like seeing reflections on my monitor / HDTV and the colors are simply oversaturated.

120Hz HDTVs uses internal processing to give movies that "live" look; kinda like a soap opera. 120Hz monitors and 120Hz HDTVs operates differently. According to a friend of mine who has a 240Hz HDTV, it kinda gives that a simple 3D-ish effect on top of the "live" look. All this is done internally by the TV's video processor it does not mean these HDTV accept 120Hz / 240Hz inputs. For games it creates input lag which makes sense since it takes time to process video. Gaming on any HDTV should be done in 60Hz mode.

Sony's high-end LCD HDTV uses RGB LED backlighting. That means instead of simple white LEDs used for backlight, the light from RGB LEDs is actual created by the combinate of Red, Green and Blue sub-LEDs. Together at the same intensity they create white; they can also create warmer or cooler whites for atmosphere.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 2, 2010 12:19:11 AM

It'll have to wait unitl tomorrow night 'cause I'm still at work...

... unless of course I am still in the office working hard this late tomorrow evening.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 3, 2010 6:47:27 AM

Ok below are the results of the Lagom LCD test on my Planar PX2611w H-IPS panel monitor.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php#response...

Test #1 - Quick Response Time Check.
Based on the flashing squares compared to the reference chart the Planar is rated in the -10 column.

Test #2 - Response Time Test - Ghosting
Not sure how reliable this is because it states that any dropped frames is either due to an underpowered CPU or a busy CPU. I get dropped frames with a quad core Q9450 and it is idle as well. Dropped frames ranges from 0% to 25%; most dropped frames seems to be in the 2% - 11% range.

Test #3 - Input Lag Test
Most of the time dropped frames ranges between 0% - 7%. A few times 12% - 18% would appear. 25% appears rarely and it spiked up to as high as 30% once when running this test for about 1 minute.

If I have time tomorrow, I will connect my Asus VK246H TN panel monitor to the rig I'm using now to see how it compares to my Planar.
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 4, 2010 7:40:59 PM

The new hype is about LED backlights.

But the thing is, LED backlights have been on the market for quite some time now. Most popular for laptops since they require thin and low power screens. They didn't used to advertise it since it offers no difference to picture quality. I guess some people got infected by apple's marketing technique, advertise the hell out of it and charge a ridiculous price premium for something nobody needs.

Actually some people do need it, laptop users who need low power screens and large desktop monitors and TVs which can eat up a ton of watts and create a ton of heat. Otherwise there is little to no advantage compared to traditional CCFL backlighting.

I won't get too caught up into the whole response time thing. It is always qouted as Grey to Grey tansition time. The statistics as the name indicates is very grey and shady. There are 256 shades of grey. A manufacturer can pick any one of these shades that gives the absolute best number they can put on a box and sell it. If you restrict the statistic to a single shade, black for example. Most monitors would fail to come near 2ms. Most monitors would be around 10ms.
m
l
June 9, 2010 7:19:16 PM

I went with the Dell 23 inch IPS monitor.

I don`t do much hardcore gaming these days. The ones I do game a lot are RTS or RPG. I figured a giant 23 inch IPS monitor would provide better eye candy than a low picture quality TN with mega fast response time I won`t even notice.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 196 C Monitor
June 9, 2010 11:55:13 PM

Hope you'll be happy with your purchase.

I've been pretty busy @ work and pretty tired as well lately... I actually forgot about this thread.
m
l
!