automatic reboot after stop error

August 22, 2005 1:11:02 PM

i have a customer that is getting a stop error when they boot the pc. the
error flashes too quickly on the screen to catch it. i know there's a
registry entry somewhere that i can change that will change the reboot
automatically setting. does anyone know what it is? there should also be a
log file that will also show me the what the stop is, but everything i see is
all binary data. any ideas?

thanks
--
a few miles from nowhere...
Anonymous

From a parallel install, run regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive,
choose Registry|Load Hive, then navigate to the
%systemroot%\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
the stop error.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"soscc" wrote:
|i have a customer that is getting a stop error when they boot the pc. the
| error flashes too quickly on the screen to catch it. i know there's a
| registry entry somewhere that i can change that will change the reboot
| automatically setting. does anyone know what it is? there should also be a
| log file that will also show me the what the stop is, but everything i see
is
| all binary data. any ideas?
|
| thanks
| --
| a few miles from nowhere...
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:17:58 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?c29zY2M=?=" <soscc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> i have a customer that is getting a stop error when they boot the pc.
> the error flashes too quickly on the screen to catch it. i know
> there's a registry entry somewhere that i can change that will change
> the reboot automatically setting. does anyone know what it is? there
> should also be a log file that will also show me the what the stop is,
> but everything i see is all binary data. any ideas?
>
> thanks

the setting is readily available under 'my computer' -> 'properties' ->
(some tab under there).

does it do this while booting to safe mode as well ?
August 22, 2005 4:19:26 PM

This won't fix your problem, but it'll keep your machine from rebooting.

Unless the rebooting is caused by a hardware problem.

It may also help reading a BSOD. Blue Screen Of Death.

Choosing recovery actions if Windows stops unexpectedly

Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab |
Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery |
Under System Failure | UNCheck: ? Automatically restart |
OK |Apply | OK

[[Specifies whether Windows will automatically reboot whenever the system
stops unexpectedly.
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set
recovery options.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9279255F-5ACA-4AF8-B041-8CC2D3508AA4@microsoft.com,
soscc <soscc@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> i have a customer that is getting a stop error when they boot the pc. the
> error flashes too quickly on the screen to catch it. i know there's a
> registry entry somewhere that i can change that will change the reboot
> automatically setting. does anyone know what it is? there should also be a
> log file that will also show me the what the stop is, but everything i
> see is all binary data. any ideas?
>
> thanks
> --
> a few miles from nowhere...
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:26:49 PM

Wes,
This isn't possible when the operating system does not start.

--

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:
| This won't fix your problem, but it'll keep your machine from rebooting.
|
| Unless the rebooting is caused by a hardware problem.
|
| It may also help reading a BSOD. Blue Screen Of Death.
|
| Choosing recovery actions if Windows stops unexpectedly

| Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab |
| Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery |
| Under System Failure | UNCheck: ? Automatically restart |
| OK |Apply | OK
|
| [[Specifies whether Windows will automatically reboot whenever the system
| stops unexpectedly.
| You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set
| recovery options.]]
|
| --
| Hope this helps. Let us know.
|
| Wes
| MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:38:12 PM

Dave,

I missed that part. However, OP doesn't say if it starts in Safe Mode.

BTW, regedit is fewer letters to type. ;-)

[[Regedt32.exe
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small
program that just runs Regedit.exe. ]]
Differences Between Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141377

[[NOTE: In Windows XP, Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe have been integrated
into a single program that combines the features of the two registry editors
in Windows 2000. ]]
"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:o uJYKc0pFHA.1028@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Dave Patrick <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
> This isn't possible when the operating system does not start.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>> This won't fix your problem, but it'll keep your machine from rebooting.
>>
>> Unless the rebooting is caused by a hardware problem.
>>
>> It may also help reading a BSOD. Blue Screen Of Death.
>>
>> Choosing recovery actions if Windows stops unexpectedly
>>
>> Right click My Computer | Properties | Advanced tab |
>> Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery |
>> Under System Failure | UNCheck: ? Automatically restart |
>> OK |Apply | OK
>>
>> [[Specifies whether Windows will automatically reboot whenever the system
>> stops unexpectedly.
>> You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to set
>> recovery options.]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:46:28 PM

The answer is generic to the NT'ish operating system family.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:
<snip>
| BTW, regedit is fewer letters to type. ;-)
<snip>
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:09:03 PM

thanks for the info. i was able to fix the registry entries and get the stop
error i needed. why oh why does microsoft default to automatic reboot...

--
a few miles from nowhere...

"soscc" wrote:

> i have a customer that is getting a stop error when they boot the pc. the
> error flashes too quickly on the screen to catch it. i know there's a
> registry entry somewhere that i can change that will change the reboot
> automatically setting. does anyone know what it is? there should also be a
> log file that will also show me the what the stop is, but everything i see is
> all binary data. any ideas?
>
> thanks
> --
> a few miles from nowhere...
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:14:17 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:09:03 -0700, "soscc"

>thanks for the info. i was able to fix the registry entries and get the stop
>error i needed. why oh why does microsoft default to automatic reboot...

Total cluelessness, or a malicious way of ducking support calls?

<bladerunner>
"...so they found a solution"
' What was that? '
"Four-year life span"
</bladerunner>

Theoretically it's to cater for herdless servers that must run
unattended all the time. As if sysadmins in charge of such servers
lack the skills to set this setting if they need it?

It's particularly asinine when errors arise before XP finishes
starting up, i.e. before it can actually serve anything or respond to
remote administration (thinking of the "headless server" thing).

What's the point of endlessly rebooting the system in such
circumstances, exposing it to bad-exit mile system damage?

Hmmm... what was the *other* idea?