USB 2 external drive causes DELL 8250 to reboot or blue sc..

Hello all techies!

I have a DELL Dimension 8250 Running Windows XP Professional SP2

I recently replaced the 120 GB drive in my external USB 2 enclosure with a
Maxtor 250 GB drive

This is a full sized IDE Drive.My USB 2 external drive is immediatly
recognized by Device Manager

I can access the partions on the USB drive from windows explorer and I get
reasonably good performance

If I go to view the properties on the Partitions the DELL 8250 reboots
system reboots

I have flashed the DELL BIOS

Other USB devices such as Camera , MP3 player are fine

TIA

"news.verizon.net" <david.dot@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hello all techies!
>

> I have a DELL Dimension 8250 Running Windows XP Professional SP2
>
> I recently replaced the 120 GB drive in my external USB 2 enclosure with
> Maxtor 250 GB drive
>
> This is a full sized IDE Drive.My USB 2 external drive is immediatly
> recognized by Device Manager
>

> I can access the partions on the USB drive from windows explorer and I get
> reasonably good performance
>
> If I go to view the properties on the Partitions the DELL 8250 reboots
> system reboots
>
> I have flashed the DELL BIOS
>
> Other USB devices such as Camera , MP3 player are fine
>

> TIA

Can you access the drive with the other USB devices disconnected?

Stew

I had the same issue and it was the usb drive was bad. tested in 3 different
computers and they all rebooted...actually took it to another computer in
the house and could hear it clicking when it tried to access, then system
would reboot.

In article <ZwpHd.7776$Vx2.813@trndny01>,
news.verizon.net <david.dot@verizon.net> wrote:
>Hello all techies!
>

>I have a DELL Dimension 8250 Running Windows XP Professional SP2
>
>I recently replaced the 120 GB drive in my external USB 2 enclosure with a
>Maxtor 250 GB drive
>
>This is a full sized IDE Drive.My USB 2 external drive is immediatly
>recognized by Device Manager
>

>I can access the partions on the USB drive from windows explorer and I get
>reasonably good performance
>
>If I go to view the properties on the Partitions the DELL 8250 reboots
>system reboots
>
>I have flashed the DELL BIOS
>
>Other USB devices such as Camera , MP3 player are fine

I'd suspect the firmware in the IDE-to-USB bridge board inside your
external USB case.