Acer Travelmate 8104 DVD/CD Drive can't read CD's

August 22, 2005 1:41:04 PM

Hi folks,
I have an Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi on which I'm running XP Pro, a
few days ago the DVDRW/CD drive decided it didn't like CDs anymore and
stopped reading them... I've tried almost everything, uninstalling,
reinstalling drivers, upgrading the Service Package - physically
cleaning the lens... risky I know... anyone have any idea how to fix
this? Or what might even be the cause... the machine is only 6 months
old.

Cheers,
Jo.
August 22, 2005 5:54:01 PM

johnnycakes79 wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I have an Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi on which I'm running XP Pro,
> few days ago the DVDRW/CD drive decided it didn't like CDs anymore and
> stopped reading them... I've tried almost everything, uninstalling,
> reinstalling drivers, upgrading the Service Package - physically
> cleaning the lens... risky I know... anyone have any idea how to fix
> this? Or what might even be the cause... the machine is only 6 months
> old.
>
> Cheers,
> Jo.

Contact Acer tech support for drive replacement. Since the machine is so
new, it is undoubtedly still under warranty. The fact that the hardware
is new is irrelevant. New hardware can fail. The fact that the drive
can read DVD's (I assume) but not CD's indicates a hardware fault since
the combo drives use two separate lasers for those functions.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I recommand to go to Service center.
Your trouble can come from :
1. Windows Conflict
2. DVD/CDRW itself
3. Mainboard/Chipset
* Your explanation is not sufficient to know what makes it dead.

--
http://free.mizc.com

"Malke"님� 작성한 내용:

> johnnycakes79 wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > I have an Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi on which I'm running XP Pro,
> > few days ago the DVDRW/CD drive decided it didn't like CDs anymore and
> > stopped reading them... I've tried almost everything, uninstalling,
> > reinstalling drivers, upgrading the Service Package - physically
> > cleaning the lens... risky I know... anyone have any idea how to fix
> > this? Or what might even be the cause... the machine is only 6 months
> > old.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jo.
>
> Contact Acer tech support for drive replacement. Since the machine is so
> new, it is undoubtedly still under warranty. The fact that the hardware
> is new is irrelevant. New hardware can fail. The fact that the drive
> can read DVD's (I assume) but not CD's indicates a hardware fault since
> the combo drives use two separate lasers for those functions.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:18:00 AM

johnnycakes79 Wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I have an Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi on which I'm running XP Pro, a
> few days ago the DVDRW/CD drive decided it didn't like CDs anymore and
> stopped reading them... I've tried almost everything, uninstalling,
> reinstalling drivers, upgrading the Service Package - physically
> cleaning the lens... risky I know... anyone have any idea how to fix
> this? Or what might even be the cause... the machine is only 6 months
> old.
>
> Cheers,
> Jo.

Hope you have a warranty for that laptop because it is never good when
you purchase some hardware piece brand new (6 months to me is still
pretty new) and all of a sudden it DECIDED not to work. If you
seriously didn't think you caused the problem, talk with their support
group and see what they can do for you. I'm only a novice so I hope
other more experienced techies will post their opinions or solutions.
Good luck.

--
Evolution54
Anonymous

Evolution54 wrote:
> johnnycakes79 Wrote:
>
>>Hi folks,
>>I have an Acer Travelmate 8104WLMi on which I'm running XP Pro, a
>>few days ago the DVDRW/CD drive decided it didn't like CDs anymore and
>>stopped reading them... I've tried almost everything, uninstalling,
>>reinstalling drivers, upgrading the Service Package - physically
>>cleaning the lens... risky I know... anyone have any idea how to fix
>>this? Or what might even be the cause... the machine is only 6 months
>>old.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Jo.
>

> Hope you have a warranty for that laptop because it is never good when
> you purchase some hardware piece brand new (6 months to me is still
> pretty new) and all of a sudden it DECIDED not to work. If you
> seriously didn't think you caused the problem, talk with their support
> group and see what they can do for you. I'm only a novice so I hope
> other more experienced techies will post their opinions or solutions.
> Good luck.

I second his opinion. The drive and/or data cable to it
could be defective. Also if there is Software by MusicMatch
(ver 10) on the LT it could be part of the problem, as the
software has hostile code in 2 modules, which tend to act as
a virus. My Norton AV clobbers the mmdiag and mim modules of
MusicMatch application group. The publisher has been
notified about the problem. I am changing to a Swedish
application, called helium. That has no problems with the
system or Anti virus.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed