my sound is gone

I have the Compaq 5170. Until yesterday, my sound was working fine.

I have checked both the keyboard and onscreen volume controls. The
sound is turned on. The sound card shows up in the device manager and
says it is working fine.

I have rebooted the computer, but that didn't help.

I haven't installed any new software in the last week. I do sometimes
unplug the keyboard and mouse. Sometimes, they are plugged in with the
regulat connections, and sometimes through a USB converter. But I have
been doing that for 3-4 weeks. The sound problem started yesterday.

I have checked the cables themselves, and I don't see anything.

The only thing I can think of right now is getting a new audio cord. Or
that the speakers died.

Any ideas?

hh

First, try plugging in a set of headphones to be sure you are not getting
audio at the jack. If not, go into Device Manager and remove the sound
card. Then reboot and see if windows will redetect it and reinstall the
drivers.
HH

<friesian@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message
>I have the Compaq 5170. Until yesterday, my sound was working fine.
>
> I have checked both the keyboard and onscreen volume controls. The
> sound is turned on. The sound card shows up in the device manager and
> says it is working fine.
>
> I have rebooted the computer, but that didn't help.
>
> I haven't installed any new software in the last week. I do sometimes
> unplug the keyboard and mouse. Sometimes, they are plugged in with the
> regulat connections, and sometimes through a USB converter. But I have
> been doing that for 3-4 weeks. The sound problem started yesterday.
>
> I have checked the cables themselves, and I don't see anything.
>
> The only thing I can think of right now is getting a new audio cord. Or
> that the speakers died.
>
> Any ideas?

Thank you very much!
I removed it and rebooted, and it works great now!