XP hangs up at Standby request

Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes

The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
off manually and reboot everything.

Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
turn power off

Thanks for any help
3 answers Last reply
More about hangs standby request

    Hi John,

    Try to update your BIOS, I've seen it a lot on HP-compaq laptop.

    I hope it will help you

    "John" wrote:

    > Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
    > closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes
    >
    > The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
    > off manually and reboot everything.
    >
    > Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
    > turn power off
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    We see this quite a bit with our IBM laptops. We've found that re-installing
    the Power Management and Battery Maximiser drivers tend to take care of it.

    Good luck!

    "John" wrote:

    > Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
    > closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes
    >
    > The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
    > off manually and reboot everything.
    >
    > Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
    > turn power off
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    I'm having a similar problem when my laptop comes out of hibernation. The
    screen flickers briefly, then goes completely dark, and I have to reboot by
    holding the power button for several seconds.

    I recently updated my power management registry because it would't save new
    settings, but this black-out problem just started this week.

    I don't know how to update bios or reinstall drivers.

    Michael

    "John" wrote:

    > Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
    > closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes
    >
    > The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
    > off manually and reboot everything.
    >
    > Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
    > turn power off
    >
    > Thanks for any help

Microsoft Windows XP