XP hangs up at Standby request

August 22, 2005 1:42:06 PM

Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes

The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
off manually and reboot everything.

Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
turn power off

Thanks for any help

More about : hangs standby request

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:56:09 PM

Hi John,

Try to update your BIOS, I've seen it a lot on HP-compaq laptop.

I hope it will help you

"John" wrote:

> Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
> closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes
>
> The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
> off manually and reboot everything.
>
> Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
> turn power off
>
> Thanks for any help
August 22, 2005 5:34:12 PM

We see this quite a bit with our IBM laptops. We've found that re-installing
the Power Management and Battery Maximiser drivers tend to take care of it.

Good luck!

"John" wrote:

> Whenever I try to enter Standby mode...either by clicking the menu button or
> closing my laptop lid... my PC freezes
>
> The monitor turns off but that's as far as it gets...I then have to tuen it
> off manually and reboot everything.
>
> Usually when this happens, the fan continues to run at high speed until I
> turn power off
>
> Thanks for any help
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 12:46:01 PM

I'm having a similar problem when my laptop comes out of hibernation. The
screen flickers briefly, then goes completely dark, and I have to reboot by
holding the power button for several seconds.

I recently updated my power management registry because it would't save new
settings, but this black-out problem just started this week.

I don't know how to update bios or reinstall drivers.

Michael

!