Did I waste $50 on windows 7

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I've been running windows 7 rc x64 on my home built system ever since I built it. A few days ago I ordered the $49.99 windows 7 from best buy, but now I hear that that it's only an upgrade and you had to have vista or xp for it to work. Is this true and it will not work on my computer, or will it? If it doesn't, do you think I can exchange it with best buy when I finally get it?

Solution

It's true you can't upgrade XP from within the OS. You are entitled to use the upgrade (and the discounted pricing). Just that you need to do either a clean or a custom install, in which case all of your XP data will be located in a folder which 7 creates called WINDOWS_OLD.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
No you didn't waste $50.

but to get the pro version, I may have to waste £100 ($164 USD).

FYI $50 = £30GBP = same as a new game, do try to get over it!

If I keep my old XP installed I think I could save money and just get the £50.
Hey all they did was change the sign!?!?!? where is the real uk price..

/ rant off...

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

I just read if you only have XP, even XP Pro, that a Windows 7 Upgrade won't work. Wow!

It's true you can't upgrade XP from within the OS. You are entitled to use the upgrade (and the discounted pricing). Just that you need to do either a clean or a custom install, in which case all of your XP data will be located in a folder which 7 creates called WINDOWS_OLD.

Solution

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

How does it work then? Imho, Mikeysoft is making it vague and confusing.

What if you have a retail version of XP? It wouldn't bother me if it wiped out my XP as I try to keep my data on a separate drive or I would move any data I still want onto one. But, you're saying a clean or custom install of Windows 7 will retain XP data? How would that work? Sounds kinda messy.

Would you just need the license number and/or XP license code? Then Windows 7 will require it's own code/number to be input or what?

Why do vendors have listings for Windows 7 as REQUIRING Windows Vista Premium or above (if you have Vista Basic, it is stated you have to buy Premium)? That all sounds fishy that you can upgrade Windows 7 with XP and have a full featured Windows 7 system. I've also read that Windows 7 doesn't upgrade XP but installs it in it's own partition so you are stuck with XP on one partition and Windows 7 on the other. That would suck if you didn't want that setup. It also messes with the Windows boot manager quite a bit if that is the case.

Any info to clear this up?

Edit: I might have a clue here. ;-) I am just guessing but the above scenarios are probably for cases in which you want to retain XP and they include steps in order to keep both XP and 7 installed. But, you are saying you just need a legitimate license (in this case, retail), and you just enter the license number of XP sometime during the Windows 7 Upgrade install? So, Windows 7 Upgrade has the full OS but needs a license code number of XP or Vista before you install and then it would probably ask for the Windows 7 license code (which would be in the 7 box someplace (right?) before you can do the full custom/clean install? The main reason to buy this 'Upgrade' is to save money, I bet. If that can be confirmed, then it should clear some confusion up.

(1) If you have Vista, you can do an in-place upgrade. i.e. Run the executable from within Vista. The caveat is the two need to be the same bit-type. (so Vista x86 to 7 x86). Doing it this way preserves your data and your applications will still be installed and Run~able.

(2) If you have XP, or are changing to/from 32 bit and 64 bit Vista - You can do what MSFT call a 'Custom Install'. You boot to the Media, and point the installer at the drive where your existing installation lives. During the process you will be prompted to input your old licence key. You will get a clean installation of Windows 7, and your existing programs and data will be located in a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD". Your Data will be preserved, but you will not be able to run your apps from there. Those will have to be reinstalled.

As always - Back up your data before you do this.

Also, maybe this will help: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Basic - Can Not be purchased over the counter - Preinstalled only

Starter - Also can not be purchased over the counter - preinstalled only

I've also read that Windows 7 doesn't upgrade XP but installs it in it's own partition so you are stuck with XP on one partition and Windows 7 on the other. That would suck if you didn't want that setup. It also messes with the Windows boot manager quite a bit if that is the case.

You'd have to intentionally install 7 to a different drive/partition for this to happen.

It doesn't "mess" with the boot manager, it installs it's own. It's smart enough to realize that Windows XP is already there and gives you the option to boot to either Windows 7 or XP. However, if you reinstall XP, you'll have to do a startup repair under Win 7, since XP will put it's own bootloader back in place.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009

Not sure about the exchange, but read this article. Sounds like the RC qualifies you for an upgrade license, but you will not be able to do a complete reinstall of the OS past the time when the Win7 RC expires, because you need a functional, activated version of the RC installed in order for the upgrade disk to work. Personally, this is the route I'm taking with 7 (RC-->Final via the upgrade version). As soon as I get the final Win7 installed, before I install any apps, I'll just take an image of the disk. That way, I can just re-image the drive in place of a reinstall if anything really screws up my PC. Of interest, you will need to do a clean install instead of an upgrade: during the install process, all your data from the RC install will be saved in a folder named "windows.old", and the final version of Win7 will then be installed; apps and documents won't carry over. You'll have to back them up and then restore after it's over, or retrieve them from the "windows.old" folder.