Can an Eprom become corrupt?

I have a JP that T-Rex is not moving side to side enough. There is movement
but like an inch. I assume that the MPU board, Eprom in particular is the
one that controls the side to side motion to find the sides and then center
position.

Since the T-Rex is moving only slightly and I hear the relay click to change
direction which I think is controlled my the Program Eprom thru a transistor
to the relay board, how can it now not be working when it was for years?

Can the Eprom become corrupt?

Brian
10 answers Last reply
More about eprom corrupt

    >Can the Eprom become corrupt?

    Yes, but very easy to check.

    You run a checksum with an eprom burner or have someone do it for you.
    The 1's and 0's are added up and given in a hex format (example- 33e4).
    You can then run a checksum on a known good code (or it's given with
    the code) and compared.

    The same rev program should have the same checksum. Anything out of
    whack and you need a new rom. I wouldn't even risk trying to re-use the
    old one.

    Some games do checksums on the eproms (game, sound, display) as a test,
    but this is not always the case. I've had some strange game problems
    that were solved with a new eprom. My Pinball magic would re-boot if
    tried to go into test mode. A new rom fixed that.

    Kirb

    The game's program doesn't tell it how far to move, it only initiates
    the movement and waits for feedback from a switch to tell it to move in
    the opposite direction. Hence, you have a bad micro-switch or switch
    arm.

    Hi Brian
    I've had many a difficulty with my T rex, and the problem you describe
    sounds like a bad switch. The "center position" switch under the T
    rex may not be activating. It's one of those PITA roller switches,
    similar to what's used in the ball trough. It's a different part,
    though. Try the Trex test in the diagnostics menu.
    Brian

    gixxerdude1000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The game's program doesn't tell it how far to move, it only initiates
    > the movement and waits for feedback from a switch to tell it to move in
    > the opposite direction. Hence, you have a bad micro-switch or switch
    > arm.

    Switches check out in the diagostics but will check out.

    Brian

    There is no problem in the diagnostics test of the switches.

    Brian

    kirb wrote:
    >>Can the Eprom become corrupt?
    >

    > Yes, but very easy to check.
    >
    > You run a checksum with an eprom burner or have someone do it for you.
    > The 1's and 0's are added up and given in a hex format (example- 33e4).
    > You can then run a checksum on a known good code (or it's given with
    > the code) and compared.

    Even easier, DE games will give you the checksums on the DMD when you
    first switch them on. If it really isn't a microswitch failure then
    this may give you an easier way to test without the need for an eprom
    burner.

    If the switches test good, then it must be the points of the t-rex that
    come into contact with the switch levers (maybe a broken nub of
    plastic?). I have a pinbot that had a bent arm on one of micro
    switches for the visor. It caused it to cycle (open & close) 1-extra
    time for each required movement. Mechanics can be a tough thing to
    figure out (for me, anyways, having an electronics background). Take a
    good look and try to make some sense of what should be going on under
    there and you'll figure it out.

    is this movement only in test?
    it will only move only some in test

    I think your problem is like most. Cracked solder joints on the relay under
    the PF. there are 2 of them. check them both. better yet just reflow them
    both.
    often times the t rex will only go to one side not the other. this is he fix
    Timathie cargpb15

    <gixxerdude1000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If the switches test good, then it must be the points of the t-rex that
    > come into contact with the switch levers (maybe a broken nub of
    > plastic?). I have a pinbot that had a bent arm on one of micro
    > switches for the visor. It caused it to cycle (open & close) 1-extra
    > time for each required movement. Mechanics can be a tough thing to
    > figure out (for me, anyways, having an electronics background). Take a
    > good look and try to make some sense of what should be going on under
    > there and you'll figure it out.

    During the diagnostics T-Rex is the one that triggers the switches, they are
    not triggered by hand.
    T-Rex is rotated right and left using the flipper buttons.

    I'll keep looking. :)

    Brian

    "wolfus" <timeisenga2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > is this movement only in test?
    > it will only move only some in test
    >
    > I think your problem is like most. Cracked solder joints on the relay
    > under the PF. there are 2 of them. check them both. better yet just reflow
    > them both.
    > often times the t rex will only go to one side not the other. this is he
    > fix
    > Timathie cargpb15

    During the game boot up when T-Rex is supposed to do his side to side dance
    and find center there is little movement. I can go into the diagnostics
    menu and move him side to side and the left using the flippers. The left,
    center and right switches show that they work.

    There is only one relay for the side to side movement, the other is for up
    and down, I think, and I tried the reflow yesterday.

    Thanks
    Brian

Rex Games Eprom Video Games