Dead Dimension 4300?

Hello, I was curious if anyone could offer any advice, My roommate has a
Dimension 4300, it lost power b/c he had it plugged into an outlet connected
to a wall switch and hit the switch, and now the computer won't do anything,
no post, not even any fans, simply a flashing power light, and the light on
the Ethernet card comes on? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
TavonGL

"TavonGL" <Tamoo@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Hello, I was curious if anyone could offer any advice, My roommate has a
> Dimension 4300, it lost power b/c he had it plugged into an outlet
> connected to a wall switch and hit the switch, and now the computer won't
> do anything, no post, not even any fans, simply a flashing power light,
> and the light on the Ethernet card comes on? any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> TavonGL

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4300/codes.htm#1101572

Any storms in the area?

If you're comfortable with it, strip the system down. Remove all cards
including video, remove all RAM, unplug all externals (even the mouse,kb
and monitor), unplug all connections from the mb EXCEPT the P1/P2 power
supply connectors and front power switch cable. (Also unplug all power from
all drives, including floppy).

Plug in and attempt to power up to beep codes. If you do get beep codes the
re-install the RAM and video and see if no POST returns. Continue
re-installing components until you identify the source.

IF when stripped down the machine still won't attempt POST or produce
error/beep codes, then you've got a bad power supply, motherboard, or CPU -
or some combination of the three.

The power supply can be tested with a multimeter or voltmeter OR a
simple/cheap "go/no-go" supply tester bought at a local dealer or
CompUSA/Fry's, etc. (Using same the PS can be tested w/o stripping the
system down, obviously).

If the PS checks good, then short of having an extra P4/478-pin 400FSB CPU
lying around, you'll want to take the system to a shop to find out which is
bad: the CPU or motherboard.

hth

Stew

*PS - the power supply has standard ATX connectors, but the housing
dimensions may not match with a retail replacement.