jpeg picture file increase when printing

Hello All,

I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
dramatically
when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).

Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing? If so, how can
I stop this?

Would be gratefull for any help on this.

Thanks, Graham
7 answers Last reply
More about jpeg picture file increase printing

    "Graham Bennet" <gbennet@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
    > dramatically
    > when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).
    That is the actual size of the image after decompression.

    > Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing?
    No, it reads the file into memory. This action causes decompression of the
    image. The memory image is a kind of bitmap.
    >If so, how can
    > I stop this?
    You can't. Even if you could you should not because only a bitmap image can
    be written to a spool file for the printer.

    > Would be gratefull for any help on this.
    >
    > Thanks, Graham

    Just make certain that there is enough disk space on the disk which contains
    the temporary spool fold has enough free space for these files.
    Jim

    Jim, I tried the same image on another computer, and the file size did not
    change in the print queue.

    Graham

    "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Graham Bennet" <gbennet@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
    > > dramatically
    > > when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).
    > That is the actual size of the image after decompression.
    > >
    > > Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing?
    > No, it reads the file into memory. This action causes decompression of
    the
    > image. The memory image is a kind of bitmap.
    > >If so, how can
    > > I stop this?
    > You can't. Even if you could you should not because only a bitmap image
    can
    > be written to a spool file for the printer.
    > >
    > > Would be gratefull for any help on this.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Graham
    > >

    > Just make certain that there is enough disk space on the disk which
    contains
    > the temporary spool fold has enough free space for these files.
    > Jim

    The file sizes in the print queue could be different because of different
    print languages (PCL vs. PostScript), or the way the printer has been
    designed to handle print files (laser printers may rip the file themselves,
    inkjets may be receiving files that have been ripped by the PC first).

    Is there a reason you are concerned about the file size in the queue? It
    does not affect the original image or storage space on your PC, the print
    data is deleted after printing.

    Matt, the increase in file size is causing print delays, and out of memory
    errors

    Graham Bennet wrote:

    > Matt, the increase in file size is causing print delays, and out of
    > memory errors
    >
    > "Matt" <mattmatt32@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The file sizes in the print queue could be different because of
    >> different print languages (PCL vs. PostScript), or the way the
    >> printer has been designed to handle print files (laser printers may
    >> rip the file
    > themselves,
    >> inkjets may be receiving files that have been ripped by the PC
    >> first).
    >>
    >> Is there a reason you are concerned about the file size in the queue?
    >> It does not affect the original image or storage space on your PC,
    >> the print data is deleted after printing.

    I would check with the printer mftr.'s tech support and see what they
    say. Perhaps updated drivers might help or this may be a known issue
    and they will know a workaround.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    What printer make and model do you have?

    Are you printing the image at an enlarged scale?

    What program are you printing from?

    Do you know the size of the JPEG image in pixels (800x600, 1024x768)?

    What happends is; from one PC( XP Pro), I print a file( JPEG) to a networked
    printer. In the
    print queue, the file size fastly increases.
    From another PC( XP Pro), I print the same file( JPEG) to the same networked
    printer. In the
    print queue, the file size stays the same, no increase in file size.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Graham

    > What printer make and model do you have?
    >
    > Are you printing the image at an enlarged scale?
    >
    > What program are you printing from?
    >
    > Do you know the size of the JPEG image in pixels (800x600, 1024x768)?

File Size Microsoft Printers Windows XP