jpeg picture file increase when printing

Hello All,

I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
dramatically
when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).

Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing? If so, how can
I stop this?

Would be gratefull for any help on this.

Thanks, Graham

Jim

"Graham Bennet" <gbennet@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
> dramatically
> when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).
That is the actual size of the image after decompression.

> Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing?
No, it reads the file into memory. This action causes decompression of the
image. The memory image is a kind of bitmap.
>If so, how can
> I stop this?
You can't. Even if you could you should not because only a bitmap image can
be written to a spool file for the printer.

> Would be gratefull for any help on this.
>
> Thanks, Graham

Just make certain that there is enough disk space on the disk which contains
the temporary spool fold has enough free space for these files.
Jim

Jim, I tried the same image on another computer, and the file size did not
change in the print queue.

Graham

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Graham Bennet" <gbennet@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I have a problem when printing JPEG's. The JPEG's file size increases
> > dramatically
> > when sent to a printer( eg from 630KB to 13MB).
> That is the actual size of the image after decompression.
> >
> > Could Windows be changing the file to a BMP before printing?
> No, it reads the file into memory. This action causes decompression of
the
> image. The memory image is a kind of bitmap.
> >If so, how can
> > I stop this?
> You can't. Even if you could you should not because only a bitmap image
can
> be written to a spool file for the printer.
> >
> > Would be gratefull for any help on this.
> >
> > Thanks, Graham
> >

> Just make certain that there is enough disk space on the disk which
contains
> the temporary spool fold has enough free space for these files.
> Jim

matt

The file sizes in the print queue could be different because of different
print languages (PCL vs. PostScript), or the way the printer has been
designed to handle print files (laser printers may rip the file themselves,
inkjets may be receiving files that have been ripped by the PC first).

Is there a reason you are concerned about the file size in the queue? It
does not affect the original image or storage space on your PC, the print
data is deleted after printing.

Matt, the increase in file size is causing print delays, and out of memory
errors

"Matt" <mattmatt32@notmail.com> wrote in message
> The file sizes in the print queue could be different because of different
> print languages (PCL vs. PostScript), or the way the printer has been
> designed to handle print files (laser printers may rip the file
themselves,
> inkjets may be receiving files that have been ripped by the PC first).
>
> Is there a reason you are concerned about the file size in the queue? It
> does not affect the original image or storage space on your PC, the print
> data is deleted after printing.

Malke

Graham Bennet wrote:

> Matt, the increase in file size is causing print delays, and out of
> memory errors
>
> "Matt" <mattmatt32@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> The file sizes in the print queue could be different because of
>> different print languages (PCL vs. PostScript), or the way the
>> printer has been designed to handle print files (laser printers may
>> rip the file
> themselves,
>> inkjets may be receiving files that have been ripped by the PC
>> first).
>>
>> Is there a reason you are concerned about the file size in the queue?
>> It does not affect the original image or storage space on your PC,
>> the print data is deleted after printing.

I would check with the printer mftr.'s tech support and see what they
say. Perhaps updated drivers might help or this may be a known issue
and they will know a workaround.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

matt

What printer make and model do you have?

Are you printing the image at an enlarged scale?

What program are you printing from?

Do you know the size of the JPEG image in pixels (800x600, 1024x768)?

What happends is; from one PC( XP Pro), I print a file( JPEG) to a networked
printer. In the
print queue, the file size fastly increases.
From another PC( XP Pro), I print the same file( JPEG) to the same networked
printer. In the
print queue, the file size stays the same, no increase in file size.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Graham