I am having issues with this file constantly causing my security logs to
fill up.

Error

Source : Security
Category: Detailed Tracking
Event ID: 861

The windows firewall detected an application listening for incoming traffic.

Isn't it suppose to do this? Why would the XP Firewall cause this log an
event.

This is occuring on multiple computers.

Please help

Thank You

Double check your systems do not have multiple locations for the LSASS.EXE.
You could be infected with w32.nimos.worm or some other virus. Make sure
your anitvirus software is updated and reboot in safe mode and run a full
virus scan.

"TPSchaefer@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I am having issues with this file constantly causing my security logs to
> fill up.
>
> Error
>
> Source : Security
> Category: Detailed Tracking
> Event ID: 861
>

> The windows firewall detected an application listening for incoming traffic.
>

> Isn't it suppose to do this? Why would the XP Firewall cause this log an
> event.
>

> This is occuring on multiple computers.
>

> Please help
>

> Thank You

newguy

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

I have the same problem with the firewall. Did you find a solution? I do not
think is is a virus.

"TPSchaefer@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I am having issues with this file constantly causing my security logs to
> fill up.
>
> Error
>
> Source : Security
> Category: Detailed Tracking
> Event ID: 861
>

> The windows firewall detected an application listening for incoming traffic.
>

> Isn't it suppose to do this? Why would the XP Firewall cause this log an
> event.
>

> This is occuring on multiple computers.
>

> Please help
>

> Thank You

You might consider removing the sasser virus from the machine. That is what
Lssas.exe is.

"newguy" <newguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem with the firewall. Did you find a solution? I do
>not
> think is is a virus.
>
> "TPSchaefer@hotmail.com" wrote:
>
>> I am having issues with this file constantly causing my security logs to
>> fill up.
>>
>> Error
>>
>> Source : Security
>> Category: Detailed Tracking
>> Event ID: 861
>>

>> The windows firewall detected an application listening for incoming
>> traffic.
>>

>> Isn't it suppose to do this? Why would the XP Firewall cause this log an
>> event.
>>

>> This is occuring on multiple computers.
>>

>> Please help
>>

>> Thank You

newguy

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004

I was under the impression that lssas.exe was a process that deals with local
security and login policies. Check out the link.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/lsass/

Plus the virus scan did not find anything. Maybe I should post my errors.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=
Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Detailed Tracking
Event ID: 861
Date: 9/17/2005
Time: 2:10:06 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: 3207-21
The Windows Firewall has detected an application listening for incoming
traffic.

Name: -
Process identifier: 1068
User account: SYSTEM
User domain: NT AUTHORITY
Service: Yes
RPC server: No
IP version: IPv4
IP protocol: UDP
Port number: 3022
Allowed: No
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==
Event Type: Failure Audit
Date: 9/17/2005
Time: 2:15:24 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: 3207-21
The Windows Firewall has detected an application listening for incoming
traffic.

Name: -
Process identifier: 728
User account: SYSTEM
User domain: NT AUTHORITY
Service: Yes
RPC server: No
IP version: IPv4
IP protocol: UDP
Port number: 3029
Allowed: No

Any suggestions?

In news:C0EB662B-EEC6-4575-BBC4-573DD20AF61C@microsoft.com,
newguy <newguy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I was under the impression that lssas.exe was a process that
> deals
> with local security and login policies. Check out the link.
>
> http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/lsass/

Please note that your link references lsass.exe. It's lssas.exe
that's one of several different worms, trojans, etc.

Please reply to the newsgroup