Email - Express to Outlook

I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support Outlook
so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
online or connected to complete this"
19 answers Last reply
More about email express outlook

    Georgie wrote:

    > I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to
    > set my email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not
    > support Outlook

    All that means is that they won't help you with any Outlook problems you may
    have. If they provide you with a POP3 account, you can use any E-mail
    software you want, as long as it supports POP3, and that includes Outlook.

    > so I have to use Express. how do I change this?...

    If you can use Outlook Express, you can use Outlook. If I were you I would
    just go ahead and do so, and ignore what they tell you.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    > Error message " the connection to Microsoft exchange server is
    > unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this"

    Just setup a pop3 email account.
    NTL should provide you with the needed information.

    You should have something like this:
    georgie@ntl.com
    **password**
    pop3.ntl.com
    smtp.ntl.com
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Georgie" <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    > email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support
    > Outlook
    > so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    > connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    > online or connected to complete this"

    Georgie

    Try this website.. the screenshots will help..

    http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Georgie" <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    > email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support
    > Outlook
    > so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    > connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    > online or connected to complete this"

    Hi Mike.. I cannot access outlook to set this up !!

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Georgie
    >
    > Try this website.. the screenshots will help..
    >
    > http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Georgie" <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    > > email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support
    > > Outlook
    > > so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    > > connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    > > online or connected to complete this"

    What they mean is they do not give tech support for OL - that only because
    its much more than an email app.
    http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/support/dialup_cat_emailassist.php
    The account settings for OL are the same as OE

    "Georgie" <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    > email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support
    Outlook
    > so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    > connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    > online or connected to complete this"

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:36:04 -0700, "Georgie"
    <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    >email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support Outlook
    >so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    >connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    >online or connected to complete this"

    You ask in a group with OUTLOOK, OUTLOOK EXPRESS or OE in the title.
    Notice this group lacks those references.

    Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?

    Ed. wrote:
    > Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?

    Yes, it's a WINDOWS XP general news group, though; not an Office or
    Outlook general group.

    Anyway, if you ISP doesn't have an Exchange server (and I've never
    heard of one that does), have you tried configuring Outlook at access a
    POP3 mail server, which most likely what your ISP uses?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Ed. wrote:

    > Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?

    It's a *Windows XP* General newsgroup, not one for general questions on any
    subject at all.

    That said, I don't have any problem with an occasional question that may not
    be clearly related to Windows XP. In this instance, since Outlook Express is
    part of Windows, it's hard to justify the position that questions about it
    are off-topic here. The real issue, as far as I'm concerned, is that the
    person asking the question is usually much more likely to get good help if
    he asks in the proper (more specialized) newsgroup. That's simply because
    that's where the experts on the subject in question hang out.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    > "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:36:04 -0700, "Georgie"
    >> <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to
    >>> set my email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not
    >>> support Outlook
    >>> so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message "
    >>> the connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must
    >>> be online or connected to complete this"
    >>>

    >> You ask in a group with OUTLOOK, OUTLOOK EXPRESS or OE in the title.
    >> Notice this group lacks those references.

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:40:57 -0400, "Ed."
    <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote:

    >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:36:04 -0700, "Georgie"
    >> <Georgie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a new computer with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, I want to set my
    >>>email in Outlook but my NTL Provider states that it does not support
    >>>Outlook
    >>>so I have to use Express. how do I change this?... Error message " the
    >>>connection to Microsoft exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be
    >>>online or connected to complete this"
    >>>

    >> You ask in a group with OUTLOOK, OUTLOOK EXPRESS or OE in the title.
    >> Notice this group lacks those references.
    >>

    >Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?

    Yes - for dealing with the WinXP Operating System, which has NO native
    mail reading/sending capability. OE and Outlook are separate programs
    from the OS.

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:29:38 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >Ed. wrote:
    >
    >> Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?
    >

    >It's a *Windows XP* General newsgroup, not one for general questions on any
    >subject at all.
    >
    >That said, I don't have any problem with an occasional question that may not
    >be clearly related to Windows XP. In this instance, since Outlook Express is
    >part of Windows, it's hard to justify the position that questions about it
    >are off-topic here. The real issue, as far as I'm concerned, is that the
    >person asking the question is usually much more likely to get good help if
    >he asks in the proper (more specialized) newsgroup. That's simply because
    >that's where the experts on the subject in question hang out.

    Here we disagree. OE is not PART of the OS, but it is included in the
    installation of the OS. One could also argue that notepad is part of
    Windows, when it is clearly NOT. However, since there are specific
    newsgroups dealing with OE, any questions regarding it are better
    posted THERE and not HERE.

    OE is part of IE. Are you saying IE isn't a part of the OS?

    NobodyMan wrote:

    > Here we disagree. OE is not PART of the OS, but it is included in the
    > installation of the OS. One could also argue that notepad is part of
    > Windows, when it is clearly NOT. However, since there are specific
    > newsgroups dealing with OE, any questions regarding it are better
    > posted THERE and not HERE.

    What comes with XP, is XP, and IS windowsxp.general

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    NobodyMan wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:29:38 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    > <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
    >
    >> Ed. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?
    >>

    >> It's a *Windows XP* General newsgroup, not one for general questions
    >> on any subject at all.
    >>
    >> That said, I don't have any problem with an occasional question that
    >> may not be clearly related to Windows XP. In this instance, since
    >> Outlook Express is part of Windows, it's hard to justify the
    >> position that questions about it are off-topic here. The real issue,
    >> as far as I'm concerned, is that the person asking the question is
    >> usually much more likely to get good help if he asks in the proper
    >> (more specialized) newsgroup. That's simply because that's where the
    >> experts on the subject in question hang out.
    >
    > Here we disagree. OE is not PART of the OS, but it is included in the
    > installation of the OS. One could also argue that notepad is part of
    > Windows, when it is clearly NOT.

    > However, since there are specific
    > newsgroups dealing with OE, any questions regarding it are better
    > posted THERE and not HERE.

    I completely agree that are OE questions are better posted there, and that's
    what I said in my message you quoted above.

    But better there or not, such messages are also on-topic here.

    --

    On 25 Aug 2005 01:45:12 -0500, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >NobodyMan wrote:
    >>
    >> Here we disagree. OE is not PART of the OS, but it is included in the
    >> installation of the OS. One could also argue that notepad is part of
    >> Windows, when it is clearly NOT. However, since there are specific
    >> newsgroups dealing with OE, any questions regarding it are better
    >> posted THERE and not HERE.
    >
    >What comes with XP, is XP, and IS windowsxp.general

    Interesting opinion.

    So tell me, what's the best strategy in playing minesweeper? It comes
    with XP, so therefore must be part of XP, so this question is on
    topic, right?

    NobodyMan wrote:

    > >> Here we disagree. OE is not PART of the OS, but it is included in the
    > >> installation of the OS. One could also argue that notepad is part of
    > >> Windows, when it is clearly NOT. However, since there are specific
    > >> newsgroups dealing with OE, any questions regarding it are better
    > >> posted THERE and not HERE.
    > >
    > >What comes with XP, is XP, and IS windowsxp.general
    >
    > Interesting opinion.
    >
    > So tell me, what's the best strategy in playing minesweeper? It comes
    > with XP, so therefore must be part of XP, so this question is on
    > topic, right?

    Yes. Perfectly on topic.

    I apologies if I added this in the wrong place.. but I thought this was here
    to help people having problems !!.. I have windows xp but thought I might get
    some assistance instead of starting a debate about where I should have placed
    this !!

    "NobodyMan" wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:40:57 -0400, "Ed."
    > <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote:
    >

    > >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    > >> You ask in a group with OUTLOOK, OUTLOOK EXPRESS or OE in the title.
    > >> Notice this group lacks those references.
    > >>

    > >Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?
    > >
    > Yes - for dealing with the WinXP Operating System, which has NO native
    > mail reading/sending capability. OE and Outlook are separate programs
    > from the OS.

    You stated that Outlook wouldn't open.
    That is a more serious problem than setting up an account.
    You should get a better response from the Outlook newsgroup.
    --

    >I apologies if I added this in the wrong place.. but I thought this was
    >here
    > to help people having problems !!.. I have windows xp but thought I might
    > get
    > some assistance instead of starting a debate about where I should have
    > placed
    > this !!
    >
    > "NobodyMan" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:40:57 -0400, "Ed."
    >> <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    >> >Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?
    >> >
    >> Yes - for dealing with the WinXP Operating System, which has NO native
    >> mail reading/sending capability. OE and Outlook are separate programs
    >> from the OS.

    I would guess microsoft.public.outlook

    --
    THANKS
    RICK

    >I apologies if I added this in the wrong place.. but I thought this was
    >here
    > to help people having problems !!.. I have windows xp but thought I might
    > get
    > some assistance instead of starting a debate about where I should have
    > placed
    > this !!
    >
    > "NobodyMan" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:40:57 -0400, "Ed."
    >> <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

    >> >Well, this is a General Newsgroup isn't it?
    >> >
    >> Yes - for dealing with the WinXP Operating System, which has NO native
    >> mail reading/sending capability. OE and Outlook are separate programs
    >> from the OS.

Outlook Email Windows XP