cell phones and moniters

was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put my
cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter, and
if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy. have missed calls due to
this, have learned to keep my phone away from the moniter. does this happen
to any one esle out there? oh, yeah, my phone is nokia , not sure of the
model number, its a cheapo giveaway, freebie for signing up for cingular.
basic phone, no bluetooth or camera
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

Yes, this happens due to interference between the GSM radio signals and the electron gun in the CRT
of the monitor. Most probably the phone is not being able to establish the voice channel even though
the call is being announced through the control channel and you hear a brief "chirp".

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put my
> cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter, and
> if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy. have missed calls due to
> this, have learned to keep my phone away from the moniter. does this happen
> to any one esle out there? oh, yeah, my phone is nokia , not sure of the
> model number, its a cheapo giveaway, freebie for signing up for cingular.
> basic phone, no bluetooth or camera
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie

dl

common occurance, plain old interferance, common to numerous electrical
appliances

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put my
> cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter,
and
> if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy. have missed calls due
> this, have learned to keep my phone away from the moniter. does this
happen
> to any one esle out there? oh, yeah, my phone is nokia , not sure of the
> model number, its a cheapo giveaway, freebie for signing up for cingular.
> basic phone, no bluetooth or camera
> --
> xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> vig mobo,900gz,
> computer newbie

"matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put my
> cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter,
and
> if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy.

Yes. I heard of a case where a young child with an early pacemaker had
problems when he used a computer. Pacemakers and monitors have been improved
a lot since then but problems still occur.

thanks, learn something new everyday
--
xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
vig mobo,900gz,

"CWatters" wrote:

> "matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put my
> > cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter,
> and
> > if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy.
>
> Yes. I heard of a case where a young child with an early pacemaker had
> problems when he used a computer. Pacemakers and monitors have been improved
> a lot since then but problems still occur.

Its not the CRT electron emitter, its the steering magnetic coils for
horizontal and vertical. Or if severe, lack of degaussing.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Yes, this happens due to interference between the GSM radio signals and
the electron gun in the CRT
> of the monitor. Most probably the phone is not being able to establish the
voice channel even though
> the call is being announced through the control channel and you hear a
brief "chirp".

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>

> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "matchstich" <matchstich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > was just wondering if any one else was having this problem, when i put
my
> > cell phone near the moniter it wont ring, ill hear a click on the puter,
and
> > if it does ring , the screen will get all screwy. have missed calls due
> > this, have learned to keep my phone away from the moniter. does this
happen
> > to any one esle out there? oh, yeah, my phone is nokia , not sure of the
> > model number, its a cheapo giveaway, freebie for signing up for
cingular.
> > basic phone, no bluetooth or camera
> > --
> > xp-pro,sp2,ff1.0.6,40gb,380mb
> > vig mobo,900gz,
> > computer newbie

Yes, thank you for the correction. I assumed the deflecting coils to be part of the whole CRT. The
strong electromagnetic fields can interfere with the GSM signals and prevent the cellphone from
negotiating a voice channel with the tower.