10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
just heard from PCPOP that intel have released a 3.06GHz chip that has 1M L3 Cache and 512kb L2 cache. so that gives the P4 a grand total of 1.5M of cache!!
intel claims that this new chip performs as high as around 19% faster than the old 3.06.
cost will be around $690.00 US, while the old 3.06 drops to around $455.00

source http://www.pcpop.com/news/2003/7/9844.shtml (use translater)

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Is that not the new p4 xeon?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 07/15/03 05:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
i'm pretty sure it's a xeon.i can't find where at the moment but i am sure i read about it on The Inquirer in the last couple of days.Why else would it have a 533fsb and all that cache?I'll try to find the article.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9765" target="_new">Here is an article</A> which talks about it as a xeon.It's not the one i looked at just recently but i'll have a look for that too.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.org/?article=10465" target="_new">Got it!!</A>

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ad_rach on 07/15/03 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
That is definitely a Xeon. And a good one at that too. It should be priced at around $690 or something. The interesting bit is that its arrival cuts the prices of the whole Xeon family (the old 3.06Ghz with 512KB cache has dropped by over 30%, for instance). With this, Xeon is trying to establish itself as the very best alternative for workstations, until further software support arrives to give x86-64 a helping hand... Both have their strengths, mind you.

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, XEON's come with up to 2MB cache soldered onto the pin grid array! It's about time they released a 1MB 3.06, but I've seen...I think it was up to 2.8GHz using 2MB! And if I recall correctly, the XEON is designed to accept up to 8MB L3 cache...but I doubt Intel actually produced anything higher than 2MB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Just a small bump here... but some other benchmarks have appeared on the NET. For once, SPEC.org shows two independent scores (Dell and HP) for the 3.06Ghz with 1MB L3 cache, and they're indeed substantially better. On their site, Intel claims a linpack run also showed similar results (and they're not apple, so I believe they can be somewhat trusted...) It would seem as if the 3.06Ghz is one hell of a workstation processor. Plus, it's price is attractive, for its amount of cache. Sadly, however, none of the traditional review sites did a test drive... Nasty guys at Intel didn't bother to spread review samples around... :frown:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I meant what I said:
I doubt Intel actually produced anything higher than 2MB

They might have, but I've never seen one on the market. I'm fairly sure the thing was designed to go that high, so maybe you should get out the soldering iron!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
it would probably be quite expensive as i assume it would run synchronous to the cpu's clock speed...3.06ghz memory chips are expensive...i would say more than 1 thousand dollars.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Not at all. That's the beauty of this processor! It is priced at <b>$690</b>! How's that?... Not bad... Setting up a dual 3.06Ghz 1MB L3 cache (L2 and L3 total 1536KB) might be cheaper and probably <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030715010253.html" target="_new">faster</A> than setting up a dual Opteron 244 - and a great deal lot cheaper than a dual 246, in which the processor alone will cost <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030701021703.html" target="_new">$2100</A>, according to unofficial sources. This 246 falls into the price range of a full-blown Itanium 1.4Ghz and 4MB cache...
This new Xeon is interesting. So is Opteron. This new Xeon wouldn't have been on Intel's priority list, if it wasn't for Opteron. Long live competition! :smile:

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 07/20/03 10:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Xeon MP Gallatin core 2.8GHZ come with 4MB of L3 cache there version with 2MB of L3 but avaible at lower speed and yes they are sync with core.

This Xeon with 1MB l3 are XEON DP and use DP platform

I dont like french test

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Indeed, pricewatch lists the 3.06Ghz with 1MB cache as starting at $748. It is certainly expensive... Given enough time, though , I'd expect the prices to drop assymptotically to around $690. It's Intel, so they probably don't have any yield problems... hopefully.

If this increased cache is any indication, then Prescott might have a very good performance increase over Northwood. Maybe the 20% or so reported by Intel is actually real?... :cool:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If this increased cache is any indication, then Prescott might have a very good performance increase over Northwood. Maybe the 20% or so reported by Intel is actually real?...

That assumtion made by person here wich include myself.

I dont like french test