XP Home Edition (hal.dll file missing or corrupt) error wh..

Al

I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like there
are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load and
the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility that
HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to run
the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of utility
disk? Or any other way??
Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

Found this in MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xeconhaldllismissingorcorrupt.asp
--
Mara Jade

"Al" <Al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a desktop pc with XP Home Edition. It's an HP and it looks like there
>are two operating systems on it. One is the regular XP Home Edition load and
>the other seems to be the Recovery one if you run the Recovery utility that
>HP offers at boot up. I'm not sure what to do to fix this. If I try to run
>the recovery from HP it says that some data might be lost which I do not
>want. Is there any way to fix this hal.dll file using some type of utility
>disk? Or any other way??
>Please help. I'm stuck like Chuck

Choose the Recovery Console option from the Startup menu. The warning
is just precautionary, because the Recovery Console does give you some
command-line functions that can be problematic if not used correctly.

When it has finished booting into the Recovery Console and stops at
the Command Prompt enter the following command:

CHKDSK C: /R

This will take some time to process, but should resolve the problem
that you are having.

If the problem does persist then post another response back here.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Mara Jade <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Found this in MSDN:
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xpehelp/html/xeconhaldllismissingorcorrupt.asp

That article applies to Windows XP Embedded, which is the version used
for PDA's and other portable/hand held devices.