Latitude C610 won't power up

Hi folks,

Anyone come across this problem before.......this machine had been
pretty much sat in a cupboard since it was bought in 2002. Last week
my missus discovers it, brings it home and we start using it without a
problem.

Last night it slowed right down to a crawl and wouldn't even paint the
screen properly so we pulled the PSU and battery and now it won't
power up - pressing the power button makes all lights apart from the
battery light for about 5 seconds but then they go off again.

If I hold the windows key down when switching on it spins up the hard
drive and cooling fan but that's all. I have to pull the battery again
to make it go off.

Sound familiar to anyone?

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
13 answers Last reply
More about latitude c610 power

    most likely cure: reseat the memory
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc610/sm_en/upgrades.htm#999869

    "Witchy" <news@sruasonidyranib.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Anyone come across this problem before.......this machine had been
    > pretty much sat in a cupboard since it was bought in 2002. Last week
    > my missus discovers it, brings it home and we start using it without a
    > problem.
    >
    > Last night it slowed right down to a crawl and wouldn't even paint the
    > screen properly so we pulled the PSU and battery and now it won't
    > power up - pressing the power button makes all lights apart from the
    > battery light for about 5 seconds but then they go off again.
    >
    > If I hold the windows key down when switching on it spins up the hard
    > drive and cooling fan but that's all. I have to pull the battery again
    > to make it go off.
    >
    > Sound familiar to anyone?
    >
    > --
    > cheers,
    >
    > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    Worn out/emty/defective C-mos battery ?

    Witchy wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >Anyone come across this problem before.......this machine had been
    >pretty much sat in a cupboard since it was bought in 2002. Last week
    >my missus discovers it, brings it home and we start using it without a
    >problem.
    >
    >Last night it slowed right down to a crawl and wouldn't even paint the
    >screen properly so we pulled the PSU and battery and now it won't
    >power up - pressing the power button makes all lights apart from the
    >battery light for about 5 seconds but then they go off again.
    >
    >If I hold the windows key down when switching on it spins up the hard
    >drive and cooling fan but that's all. I have to pull the battery again
    >to make it go off.
    >
    >Sound familiar to anyone?
    >
    >--
    >cheers,
    >
    >witchy/binarydinosaurs

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:14:58 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >most likely cure: reseat the memory
    >http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc610/sm_en/upgrades.htm#999869

    Ta for that Christopher, but I'd already tried that and swapped the
    DIMM out for a known good one. It's interesting to note that the
    machine behaves the same whether there's a DIMM in there or not.

    Later today I'm going to pull the CPU and put it in a good machine
    just to see what happens.....

    --
    cheers,

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:03:10 +0200, TheWiner <Albert@xs4all.nl> wrote:

    >Worn out/emty/defective C-mos battery ?

    I wondered about that but surely it wouldn't prevent the machine
    powering up?

    --
    cheers,

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    i wonder how you determine the replacement 'known good' memory module to be
    good. i have seen memory issues with inspiron 4000/4100 and latitude
    c600/610 where they demonstrate the symptom that you describe. oddly, these
    machines with incompatible memory installed can boot with the ac adapter in
    use but not when on battery only. seems likely that is your problem. of
    course the system could have just died, it happens... but reseating
    everything is a good idea (hard disk, processor, all removable drives,
    battery), and keeping only the necessary, minimum number of components
    connected also helps in troubleshooting. good luck.

    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:14:58 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >most likely cure: reseat the memory
    > >http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc610/sm_en/upgrades.htm#999869
    > >

    > Ta for that Christopher, but I'd already tried that and swapped the
    > DIMM out for a known good one. It's interesting to note that the
    > machine behaves the same whether there's a DIMM in there or not.
    >
    > Later today I'm going to pull the CPU and put it in a good machine
    > just to see what happens.....
    >
    > --
    > cheers,
    >
    > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:38:30 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >i wonder how you determine the replacement 'known good' memory module to be
    >good. i have seen memory issues with inspiron 4000/4100 and latitude
    >c600/610 where they demonstrate the symptom that you describe. oddly, these
    >machines with incompatible memory installed can boot with the ac adapter in
    >use but not when on battery only. seems likely that is your problem. of
    >course the system could have just died, it happens... but reseating
    >everything is a good idea (hard disk, processor, all removable drives,
    >battery), and keeping only the necessary, minimum number of components
    >connected also helps in troubleshooting. good luck.

    I nicked the memory from the Missus' laptop where it's working quite
    happily :) I'm now about to do a CPU swap and see where that gets me.

    --
    cheers,

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    might be good for her machine and not so good for yours... perhaps i did not
    make that point clear.

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:38:30 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >i wonder how you determine the replacement 'known good' memory module to
    be
    > >good. i have seen memory issues with inspiron 4000/4100 and latitude
    > >c600/610 where they demonstrate the symptom that you describe. oddly,
    these
    > >machines with incompatible memory installed can boot with the ac adapter
    in
    > >use but not when on battery only. seems likely that is your problem. of
    > >course the system could have just died, it happens... but reseating
    > >everything is a good idea (hard disk, processor, all removable drives,
    > >battery), and keeping only the necessary, minimum number of components
    > >connected also helps in troubleshooting. good luck.
    >
    > I nicked the memory from the Missus' laptop where it's working quite
    > happily :) I'm now about to do a CPU swap and see where that gets me.
    >
    > --
    > cheers,
    >
    > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:21:41 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >might be good for her machine and not so good for yours... perhaps i did not
    >make that point clear.

    one 3.3V PC133 dimm is no more worse for a machine than an identically
    specced component from another machine. I'm a fully trained
    digital/compaq/hp field service tech so I know what I'm doing, but if
    I come up against an unfamiliar bit of kit I'll ask questions first
    before wading in and pulling things to bits :)

    In this case we have a dead CPU, which is a bit annoying as I won't be
    able to get another one till tuesday......

    --
    cheers,

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    sorry to have bothered you . won't do it again.

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:21:41 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >might be good for her machine and not so good for yours... perhaps i did
    not
    > >make that point clear.
    >
    > one 3.3V PC133 dimm is no more worse for a machine than an identically
    > specced component from another machine. I'm a fully trained
    > digital/compaq/hp field service tech so I know what I'm doing, but if
    > I come up against an unfamiliar bit of kit I'll ask questions first
    > before wading in and pulling things to bits :)
    >
    > In this case we have a dead CPU, which is a bit annoying as I won't be
    > able to get another one till tuesday......
    >
    > --
    > cheers,
    >
    > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    now if you would just do this more often!

    > sorry to have bothered you . won't do it again.
    >
    > "Witchy" <news@sruasonidyranib.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:21:41 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > >might be good for her machine and not so good for yours... perhaps i
    did
    > not
    > > >make that point clear.
    > >
    > > one 3.3V PC133 dimm is no more worse for a machine than an identically
    > > specced component from another machine. I'm a fully trained
    > > digital/compaq/hp field service tech so I know what I'm doing, but if
    > > I come up against an unfamiliar bit of kit I'll ask questions first
    > > before wading in and pulling things to bits :)
    > >
    > > In this case we have a dead CPU, which is a bit annoying as I won't be
    > > able to get another one till tuesday......
    > >
    > > --
    > > cheers,
    > >
    > > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    prehaps you need a lesson in how to add someone to a kill file... let us
    know if you need some help.

    "spike" <spike@spike.com> wrote in message
    > now if you would just do this more often!
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > sorry to have bothered you . won't do it again.
    > >
    > > "Witchy" <news@sruasonidyranib.co.uk> wrote in message

    > did
    > > not
    > > >
    > > > one 3.3V PC133 dimm is no more worse for a machine than an identically
    > > > specced component from another machine. I'm a fully trained
    > > > digital/compaq/hp field service tech so I know what I'm doing, but if
    > > > I come up against an unfamiliar bit of kit I'll ask questions first
    > > > before wading in and pulling things to bits :)
    > > >
    > > > In this case we have a dead CPU, which is a bit annoying as I won't be
    > > > able to get another one till tuesday......
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > cheers,
    > > >
    > > > witchy/binarydinosaurs

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:56:23 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >sorry to have bothered you . won't do it again.

    Hey Christopher,

    Calm down a bit eh? Maybe it's my fault for not explaining my
    background, but many years experience has taught me that if I ask a
    group a question and tell people I'm field service I invariably get
    either no response or remarks like 'why are you asking here when
    clearly you should know'

    Maybe you also missed the smileys in my last message?

    Thanks for replying anyhow.

    --
    cheers,

    witchy/binarydinosaurs

    Witchy <news@sruasonidyranib.co.uk> wrote in message news:<csra90167eek8kq5abg987mru8tbdhosoe@4ax.com>...
    > On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:56:23 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    > <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >sorry to have bothered you . won't do it again.
    > >

    > Hey Christopher,
    >
    > Calm down a bit eh? Maybe it's my fault for not explaining my
    > background, but many years experience has taught me that if I ask a
    > group a question and tell people I'm field service I invariably get
    > either no response or remarks like 'why are you asking here when
    > clearly you should know'
    >
    > Maybe you also missed the smileys in my last message?
    >
    > Thanks for replying anyhow.

    I had this exact same issue with the same computer (dell c600). The
    instructions provided (reseat the memory) worked. Problem solved.
    However, it took 2 or three tries to get any result.

    Thanks,

    CW

    Chris Willis
    ModelGolf LLC