Sign in with
Your question

Install drivers in non OS partition?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2012 7:51:55 PM

Hi, I got my new Lenovo Y580 and successfully install Samsung 830 256 GB (fresh install).

Does it matter if I install the drivers in the partition that doesnt contain OS? (ie, faster boot time) Because it took 8 secs to boot after fresh install. and it jumped to 18-21 secs after the drivers are loaded.

Will it work? Will it have any consequences later? (Harder to restore OS, etc)

Thanks a lot guys
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 8:37:57 PM

Is your boot speed that important that you can distinguish between the computer taking 8 seconds or 18 seconds. If a computer can boot to the desktop in 60 seconds or less then I think that ies a very good boot time. The reason that the boot tiome jumped from 8 seconds to 18-21 is because you installed drivers and it will be the same no matter where you put them because they still have to be loaded. If you start hiding the drivers on a non os partition then your makling Windows now look for them.
November 2, 2012 8:42:33 PM

inzone said:
Is your boot speed that important that you can distinguish between the computer taking 8 seconds or 18 seconds. If a computer can boot to the desktop in 60 seconds or less then I think that ies a very good boot time. The reason that the boot tiome jumped from 8 seconds to 18-21 is because you installed drivers and it will be the same no matter where you put them because they still have to be loaded. If you start hiding the drivers on a non os partition then your makling Windows now look for them.

Hahaha, you're right. I guess I'm just too excited and expect too much. It's just the boot time is about the same as my older laptop which has weaker SSD and specs.
That makes sense tho since this one has more drivers/utilities software..
Besides I was thinking it might cause incompatibilities when I restore/rollback only the OS, who knows.

Thanks!
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 8:43:10 PM

If you don't like the long boot times then when your not using the computer you can put it to sleep and then waking it won't take that long.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 9:13:29 PM

I can understand the enthusiasim over getting a SSD for the boot drive and liking the super fast boot times without the drivers but when you sit back and think about it it still fast and for the most part you will be able to get to the desktop in 30 sec or less and that ain't bad.
You can tweak the drive and OS to keep that speed and have great performance.
!