Sign in with
Your question

Can Athlon XP 2000 run with 100mhz sdram ??

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2003 3:41:17 AM

does anyone know if athlon XP 2000 run with my old 100mhz SD-ram???? i have tons of em and i dont want to waste em ..
July 16, 2003 4:04:56 AM

i am serious .. does anyone know that or have u tried that yet???? hellooooo computer freaks.. where r u :) )
July 16, 2003 4:19:34 AM

Well that really depends on your mobo.. most mobos made for an Athlon 2000XP I would think would have 184 pin DDR RAM slots. So unless the mobo manufacturer even bothered to put 168 pin SDRAM slots on the board, then the answer is no. If there are SDRAM slots, then sure, you can use it. But why in the hell would you want to??? I don't care how much of it you got sitting around.. that would seriously bottleneck your system. May as well run a Athlon 600 or something. Heck, even those can use 133Mhz SDRAM. My suggestion, pitch the 100Mhz. Or use it for some post-neo-modern-techno-punk art sculpture (a.k.a. "paperweight") or something.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
Related resources
July 16, 2003 4:43:13 AM

well yeah i know 100mhz sd-ram isnt something that sounds good.. to be used with athlon 2000 .. but i have 512mb 100mhz sd-ram .. and its a lot to be wasted u know .. :) ) anyway ..ur right most prob. there is no mainboard that has sd-ram slots on anymore.. though one ESC mainboard i have for intel cpu's has 2 slot for 100-133mhz sd-ram + 2 ddr-ram slot... (u cant use both at the same time though)... anyway .. anyway .. i'll figure out a way to use em ..
July 16, 2003 5:05:22 AM

only mobo that can use SDRAM with Athlon XP..as I know, it's ECS K7S5A, and it's a better idea to use PC133 and not PC100..
July 16, 2003 5:14:02 AM

The only useful purpose I can think of for them would be to put together a junk PC using spare parts and put Linux on it or something... That's what I did with my old Cyrix P150+. Other than that... maybe list it in the classifieds forum. Perhaps someone else is building such a system and would give you a few bucks for it.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 16, 2003 6:03:42 AM

Nights L is right, the K7S5A is the only one worth bothering with. It will bottle neck your machine but its definetely going to put your memory to work at its max.
There are lots of people with SDRAM laying around, many times at 512mb+ like yourself and I plan on putting my old PC133 to work the same way.
Its going to be a fast computer, at least as fast as a P4 with SDRAM as many had/have, but with an athlon you can use the latest CPUs all the way back to the socket a 700mhz model.

I've owned a ECS K7S5A in the past, very reliable board even in SDR, I used both SDR/DDR on it. The board is cheap also, probably $50 now.

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2003 6:24:08 AM

A lot of "PC100" is actually remarked PC133 (remarked so they could sell the newer memory to the older upgrade market). Check those chips, if they are marked 7ns or 7.5ns, they are actually PC133.

You could run a number of boards with the 4:3 CPU:D RAM ratio. Pick an SDRAM board that supports the XP2000+, you'll probably have the memory support you need for running your RAM at 100MHz or 133MHz.

The ECS K7S5A is probably the most modern SDRAM solution for the XP processor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!