Deleting Hot Fix Files

Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading that they could be
removed after install. I could use the space on an older laptop, but I don't
want to have to reinstall all the updates the next time I check Windows
Update.
10 answers Last reply
More about deleting files

    Hi Bluerdg

    If you're talking about the files in the windows folder named
    $Ntunistallkbxxxx$ you can remove it, they are only use if you want to
    uninstall a hotfix, and if your system is working fine, you'll never have to
    remove a hotfix. I've done it offten on computer who needed spaced and it
    always work fine. So don't worry, they won't come back on you're automatic
    update nor will you miss them.

    Bluerdg wrote:

    > Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading that they
    > could be removed after install. I could use the space on an older
    > laptop, but I don't want to have to reinstall all the updates the
    > next time I check Windows Update.

    Hotfixes are the updates (security and other) that you've been installing.
    If you delete them you will put back the problems that they fixed.

    You can remove their backup see at www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities,
    Remove Hotfix Backup Files, but that means you won't be able to remove the
    hotfixes.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    You answered the question, it must have been the backup files I had read
    about earlier. I upgraded the laptop to XP Home and used update to bring it
    all up to speed. If it is running ok, will I really gain that much space
    deleting the backup files? I need to install SP3, would it make sense to
    delete all the old stuff and start over at SP3 and just keep an eye on my
    updates to save space.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > Bluerdg wrote:
    >
    > > Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading that they
    > > could be removed after install. I could use the space on an older
    > > laptop, but I don't want to have to reinstall all the updates the
    > > next time I check Windows Update.
    >

    > Hotfixes are the updates (security and other) that you've been installing.
    > If you delete them you will put back the problems that they fixed.
    >
    > You can remove their backup see at www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities,
    > Remove Hotfix Backup Files, but that means you won't be able to remove the
    > hotfixes.
    >

    > --
    > Ken Blake
    > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    " I need to install SP3"?

    "Bluerdg" <Bluerdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > You answered the question, it must have been the backup files I had read
    > about earlier. I upgraded the laptop to XP Home and used update to bring
    > it
    > all up to speed. If it is running ok, will I really gain that much space
    > deleting the backup files? I need to install SP3, would it make sense
    > delete all the old stuff and start over at SP3 and just keep an eye on my
    > updates to save space.
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> Bluerdg wrote:
    >>
    >> > Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading that they
    >> > could be removed after install. I could use the space on an older
    >> > laptop, but I don't want to have to reinstall all the updates the
    >> > next time I check Windows Update.
    >>

    >> Hotfixes are the updates (security and other) that you've been
    >> installing.
    >> If you delete them you will put back the problems that they fixed.
    >>
    >> You can remove their backup see at www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities,
    >> Remove Hotfix Backup Files, but that means you won't be able to remove
    >> the
    >> hotfixes.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ken Blake
    >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Service Pack 3

    "Bill" wrote:

    > " I need to install SP3"?
    >

    > "Bluerdg" <Bluerdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > You answered the question, it must have been the backup files I had read
    > > about earlier. I upgraded the laptop to XP Home and used update to bring
    > > it
    > > all up to speed. If it is running ok, will I really gain that much space
    > > deleting the backup files? I need to install SP3, would it make sense
    > > delete all the old stuff and start over at SP3 and just keep an eye on my
    > > updates to save space.

    > >> Hotfixes are the updates (security and other) that you've been
    > >> installing.
    > >> If you delete them you will put back the problems that they fixed.
    > >>
    > >> You can remove their backup see at www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities,
    > >> Remove Hotfix Backup Files, but that means you won't be able to remove
    > >> the
    > >> hotfixes.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Ken Blake
    > >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    Maybe for Windows 2000 but not XP. XP is only up to SP2

    > Service Pack 3
    >
    > "Bill" wrote:
    >
    >> " I need to install SP3"?
    >>

    >> "Bluerdg" <Bluerdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > You answered the question, it must have been the backup files I had
    >> > read
    >> > about earlier. I upgraded the laptop to XP Home and used update to
    >> > bring
    >> > it
    >> > all up to speed. If it is running ok, will I really gain that much
    >> > space
    >> > deleting the backup files? I need to install SP3, would it make
    >> > sense
    >> > delete all the old stuff and start over at SP3 and just keep an eye on
    >> > my
    >> > updates to save space.

    Hi,

    Previously posted by Doug Knox MS-MVP:
    The $NTUninstallKBxxxxxx$ or $NTUninstallQxxxxxx$ folders are backups of
    system files that were replaced when you installed various hotfixes. If
    your system is stable, and you don't need to remove the hotfixes, these
    folders can be removed. For an automated utility to clean up these folders
    and the associated Add/Remove Programs entries, see www.dougknox.com, Win XP
    Utilities, Remove Hotfix Backup Files.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Bluerdg wrote:
    > Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading
    > that they could be removed after install. I could use
    > the space on an older laptop, but I don't want to have to
    > reinstall all the updates the next time I check Windows
    > Update.

    Actually, I was refering to the Office Update. Since the hard drive is so
    small I generally do a custom install so I can pick and choose the updates I
    need. Office updates are the ones I primarily focus on.

    "Bill" wrote:

    > Maybe for Windows 2000 but not XP. XP is only up to SP2
    >

    > "Bluerdg" <Bluerdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Service Pack 3
    > >
    > > "Bill" wrote:
    > >
    > >> " I need to install SP3"?
    > >>

    > >> "Bluerdg" <Bluerdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You can delete them. The folders are there to give you the option of
    uninstalling the hotfix if it causes more problems than
    fixes. You will find them in C:\Windows. $NTUninstall Folders.

    Ken Blake wrote:
    > Bluerdg wrote:
    >

    >>Are Hot Fix Files necessary? I seem to recall reading that they
    >>could be removed after install. I could use the space on an older
    >>laptop, but I don't want to have to reinstall all the updates the
    >>next time I check Windows Update.
    >

    > Hotfixes are the updates (security and other) that you've been installing.
    > If you delete them you will put back the problems that they fixed.
    >
    > You can remove their backup see at www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities,
    > Remove Hotfix Backup Files, but that means you won't be able to remove the
    > hotfixes.

    The area of that page is under Utilities.

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP