Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC is slow (no virus)

Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2012 8:56:39 PM

Hi

My PC runs slow and in task manager process shows 50 % or more even if I closes all applications

I have cleaned my PC from malware bytes,in safe and networking mode..and combo fixed that
But no virus detected
Problem occurs more when I starts my 3Ds Max s/w and even net runs slow but s/w works fine
but when I closes my s/w PC remains slow
Sometimes I saw max icon in process list (Task Manager) I ended its tree but result is same
even it shows chrome.exe eating lots of memory
8 or 9 times in list using lots of memory
I configured start up menu but no relief

So is there any solution? I will explain if something is not clear to understand :pfff: 

More about : slow virus

a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 9:22:39 PM

You can go to the start up menu and uncheck all the programs that you don't need to run at start up and that you don't need untill you go to use them.
In the search box type in mscofig and then the startup tab, you will see a whole list of programs and they will have the box next to them checked off and that means to run at startup so if you look through the list you can see the programs that you don't really need at startup and can be unchecked , t doesn't mean that5 they are deleted it just means that they won't start untill you need them.
m
l
November 2, 2012 9:29:41 PM

What OS are you using and how much ram do you have?

You can also type in Services.msc in the run dialog box and change unneeded services form starting automatically to starting manually
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 9:42:55 PM

Hi :) 

You NEED to run a FULL virus scan in DOS with something like Norton 2013...

Malwarebytes is good , but its NOT an antivirus program....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 9:53:19 PM

things we need to know in order to help you:
1) how much ram
2) what processor
3) what GPU
4) what operating system
5) what brand/model

Malwarebytes is anti-malware, not anti-virus. Malware is stuff that attacks you as a human being (passwords, acct numbers, etc.), where as viruses are things that attack your computer (typically as a way to install some form of malware). Malwarebytes is a good program to run every week or two, but it needs to be complimented with a real antivirus program.

MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is a decent free one, otherwise you need to pay for something big and good such as Norton.
m
l
November 2, 2012 9:59:37 PM

vish22 said:
Sometimes I saw max icon in process list (Task Manager) I ended its tree but result is same

The CPU column in Process List will tell you how much CPU us being used by each process. Click CPU to sort it (most usage or least usage first). That should let you quickly see which process is eating up all your CPU cycles. Be sure to click "Show processes from all users" at the bottom so the system processes are listed too.

If the culprit is a some generic system process like svchost.exe, you're going to have to dig deeper. Try installing and using Process Explorer. It's like Task Manager on steroids, and will frequently let you track down where the calls to svchost.exe are originating from.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

If this is a new Windows 7 installation, Win7 likes to optimize itself using spare CPU cycles while your computer is idle. So for the first half hour to an hour you will see unusually high CPU usage, but after that it's done forever.

even it shows chrome.exe eating lots of memory said:
even it shows chrome.exe eating lots of memory

Not much you can do about that except restart Chrome. Chrome likes to run every tab in a separate process, which improves responsiveness and reliability (one tab crashing does not crash the entire browser), but causes memory use to balloon over time.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2012 10:15:23 PM

oh man, windows 8 is even worse than win7 on that optimization time after that initial install. I did not notice it on my desktop, but on my laptop it felt like it was running unusually slow for ~2-3 hours. Then I had to reset for something and everything felt snappy like it was supposed to again.
m
l
November 10, 2012 2:30:59 AM

Thanks

I did perform online norton check for my PC..and malware bytes I used as Tom's forum suggested that..

For startup.. I know to manage it I have unchecked all what I don't need.

My processor is..core2duo 1.86 Ghz
Ram 2GB DDR2
GPU Quadrofx 540
OS Windows 7( when I started thread)/win 8
But main thing is that this config. is good as MS says for these OS

when I first installed my Win 7 then it run fine
but after some time it started problems

Hmm Window 8 is very slow in installation mode otherwise same speed and start time I am getting as in Win7
I can't personalize my Account Pic and screens in PC setting in Win 8 as menu is not accessible
all features and updates are working fine
tell me if someone know about Win 8 too

Thanks
m
l
November 10, 2012 2:37:42 AM

meanwhile I have downloaded Norton 2013 tral for 60 days lets see what it does
just tell me how to run it in dos

But I have AVG Internet security and it updates regularly and scans

thanks
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2012 2:41:56 AM

Don't run both at the same time.
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 10, 2012 2:42:18 AM

Norton is a much better option than AVG.
m
l
November 10, 2012 9:26:42 AM

no virus detected by norton...But I couldn't run it in dos, in Win 8 I have no guess about dos

I started pressing f8 and f10 but didn't get dos
m
l
November 10, 2012 11:31:40 AM

It could be a hard drive issue. I have had problems with that recently. Maybe do a disk check?
m
l
November 10, 2012 1:11:13 PM

I use PC cleaner to fix errors...every time it shows health.. medium
Win 8 doing good no issue now
But problem is with speed...when I turns on PC and when I shuts it down it takes time more than normal..4-5 minutes or more
m
l
November 16, 2012 3:03:36 PM

In Windows 8 task manager I can clearly see the Bg processes
so how I can deselect them as they can't me remove using simple start up manager

Thanks
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 8:31:04 PM

Is this a PC or a notebook? If it is a PC it is a really only good enough for Windows 98 or Windows 2000. If it is a netbook then it is really only good enough for Windows 7 32 bit at the most but preferably Windos XP.

Basically, 1.8ghz cpu with 2gb of DDR2 ram is not very good with any OS past XP as Windows 7 (etc) uses a lot of resources for their visual themes. Try disabling the themes to Basic, that will improve performance somewhat.

m
l
November 17, 2012 2:24:48 AM

Thanks, Its a PC , I made in 2006 :)  well I like new windows so I upgrades it when new one comes. But I was not aware of that it will cause problems,
I always checks compatibility but in Microsoft configuration lists for Windows they showed the configuration for what my Pc is still fast enough.

Win 98/2000 hmmm it was way back in 98s and early 2000, I used to have RD ram and pentium processor that time with decent speed.
I use themes so I'll try with that option too :) 
m
l

Best solution

November 17, 2012 10:49:38 AM

So much terrible advice in this thread.

Norton sucks, do not use it. It will slow down your system so remove all traces of it from your system.
AVG sucks, do not use it.
Windows 2000 isn't even supported any more, and people here are recommending it? Please be serious.
Malwarebytes is good. Malware by definition includes viruses, and is generally better than standard antiviruses for cleaning up a computer. However you should run a standard antivirus alongside it for real time file scanning.

Since you have upgraded to Windows 8, your best bet for antivirus, for now at least, is to stick with Windows Defender (has MSE built-in). Avast would be a better option, but apparently Avast is a bit glitchy with Windows 8. If you want to pay for an antivirus, pick Nod32.

You can force Chrome to use less memory. Right click the shortcut and select properties. At the end of the "target" box, leave a space and paste this text: --memory-model=low

Click apply and OK, then try running Chrome again. You can read more about it here and else where: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/dKSUqittQj0

That said, I recommend Firefox over Chrome, as it uses a lot less memory by default. However if you want to stick to Chrome then I recommend Comodo Dragon; it's very similar to Chrome (both are built from Chromium and both run on the webkit engine). Chrome is a very loose browser than does not give the user much control over how it works.

Keep watch on your task manager to make sure your memory in use does not go over 2GB. If it does, identify which software is using the most and deal with it accordingly.

Your hard drive could also be a culprit. Download and run Crystal Disk Info: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/crystaldiskinfo_...

If the health status of your hard drive is anything other than "Good", then you should backup immediately and get a new hard drive.

Side note: "GPU Quadrofx 540" iirc Quadro graphics cards are work orientated, not gaming orientated, so if you are trying to play games on this system, that may be another problem to consider.
November 23, 2012 2:29:57 AM

Thanks

I agree with u may be norton is good in market but slow downs pc . I know Norton from many years and I avoided to use that for same.
I guess chrome is the main problem as in task manager it shows, chrome using lots of memory.

m
l
November 23, 2012 2:51:56 AM

Best answer selected by vish22.
m
l
!