My cinema display screen is way too bright...

j 13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hello,

I'm not used to lcd screens. I had a sony trinitron crt for 10 years, but it no longer works.

Now I have a year old 20" apple cinema display monitor (aluminum) that I'm trying out. It's way too bright. I've turned the brightness all the way down, uploaded a shareware app "Shades", but everything white still looks too bright to me. I'm squinting. I can't find a contrast control either.

I'm a writer working on a large manuscript using microsoft word, so need to resolve this soon!

Ps. I'm running on Mac os x 10.4.1 on my mac mini.

j 13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
As far as I know there is no contrast setting, I called apple tech and they confirmed that. I wish there was though. Wondering if some sort of screen filter might work, and if so which kind is best, anti glare, or a privacy screen?

Not familiar with Macs, but you can try changing Gamma, Brightness and Contrast thru the video card.

For instance, I can go into Catalyst Control Center of the Radeon HD 5850 and click the color section. I get the options to change Gamma, Brightness, and Contrast by each of the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue) or all three at the same time (All Channels).

j 13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Yes, I have played with gamma, color controls, but it's a brightness issue from the screen itself for me. Guess I need something that counters the screen brightness. There are so many different products it's hard to know which one to pick. Most anti-glare shields are meant to counteract the outside glare, but would it work for the brightness from the screen itself.

Anyone have experience with that?