My cinema display screen is way too bright...

Hello,

I'm not used to lcd screens. I had a sony trinitron crt for 10 years, but it no longer works.

Now I have a year old 20" apple cinema display monitor (aluminum) that I'm trying out. It's way too bright. I've turned the brightness all the way down, uploaded a shareware app "Shades", but everything white still looks too bright to me. I'm squinting. I can't find a contrast control either.

I'm a writer working on a large manuscript using microsoft word, so need to resolve this soon!

Ps. I'm running on Mac os x 10.4.1 on my mac mini.
5 answers Last reply
More about cinema display screen bright
  1. The contrast setting should be in the monitor's menu. Play in the monitor's settings, and you should find it.
  2. As far as I know there is no contrast setting, I called apple tech and they confirmed that. I wish there was though. Wondering if some sort of screen filter might work, and if so which kind is best, anti glare, or a privacy screen?
  3. Are there location settings on the monitor? For example: mine has studio, home, office...etc. Each setting has it's own brightness to it.

I don't have any experience with any of those filters, so I don't know how well they work.
  4. Not familiar with Macs, but you can try changing Gamma, Brightness and Contrast thru the video card.

For instance, I can go into Catalyst Control Center of the Radeon HD 5850 and click the color section. I get the options to change Gamma, Brightness, and Contrast by each of the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue) or all three at the same time (All Channels).
  5. Yes, I have played with gamma, color controls, but it's a brightness issue from the screen itself for me. Guess I need something that counters the screen brightness. There are so many different products it's hard to know which one to pick. Most anti-glare shields are meant to counteract the outside glare, but would it work for the brightness from the screen itself.

Anyone have experience with that?
Ask a new question

Read More

Flat Panel Monitors Peripherals Displays