13" Laptop for School and Photoe diting

Status
Not open for further replies.

metokra

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
1_What is your budget?
lets say up to 1,000 Euros

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
better one, but there is not a lot of difference in that size

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable. I got 2 more computers at home

5_How much battery life do you need?
at least 5 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No Games needed.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Photo Editing, listening to musik (better sound card if possible)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
60Gb+

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
Anything that ships to germany

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
some time.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd i guess, hate the usb installations; but not necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have a sony 17" for 6 years, not a single problem. but doesn't really matter

13_What country do you live in?
Germany

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
not really anything

just one last question:
when I looked for myself, I found all these 1,3GHz CPUs. Can you really use them? I have a E³ but the 1.6 Atom is extremely slow, so 1.3?

Thanks guys

senormoll

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
at your price range, anything you're looking at with 1.3ghz has to be dual-core. Also, there are other factors that make the Atom computers slower, such as the fact that most of them only come with 1gb of memory. Any laptop you get would come with at least 3-4gb.

what kind of photo editing are you talking about? serious photoshopping or casual cropping and editing? For serious photoshopping I would make sure the notebook has an integrated ATI/NVIDIA card and not just an intel chip.

I like the new i5-430M laptops. They're only dual core but they have the integrated memory controller of the other i5/i7s, and if you catch them on sale you can get one for $600-650US. (I'm not a financier but that should be about 1000euros no?)

metokra

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
^^ last autmn it was 1 Euro ~ 1.5 $. but the Ratio changes drastically because of greece -.-
so we look at 1 Euro ~1.3$.

We look at somewhat real photoshopping. I'm currently the lead designer for my schools yearbook, so there is some work do and I occasionally do webdesigns.

But you say the 1.3 ghz are sufficient? I don't want to wait 5 minutes for it to boot.

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Boot speed relates to hard drive rpm and amount of RAM, I believe. CPU throttling happens when you're trying to do something intense.. like accidentally entering an infinite loop in a program that eventually crashes MATLAB. =x

Most non-netbook laptops come with 3-4 GB of RAM, based on their pre-installed operating system (3 GB for 32-bit, 4 GB for 64-bit). I don't know any European computer sites, but I suggest ASUS. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.