Problems restoring when using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Ed..

August 22, 2005 4:19:12 PM

I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image that I
can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have the exact same
hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase the licensing so that
the user can type the license number from the sticker on their PC, and their
user name.

The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button, it
boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.

When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process, it then
asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.

The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and VGA
drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver questions, but the
screen resolution changes. Please remember that all the hardware are exactly
the same, and they all have the same BIOS and firmware version.

Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?

Thank You,
Branden.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:45:59 PM

Branden wrote:
> I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image
> that I can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have
> the exact same hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase
> the licensing so that the user can type the license number from the
> sticker on their PC, and their user name.
>
> The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
> restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button,
> it boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
>
> When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process,
> it then asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
>
> The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and
> VGA drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver
> questions, but the screen resolution changes. Please remember that
> all the hardware are exactly the same, and they all have the same
> BIOS and firmware version.
>
> Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?
>
> Thank You,
> Branden.

BIOS settings not exactly the same, though versions are the same, Ghost,
Windows XP, and/or the hardware. Not necessarily in that order.

My guess, and is BIOS settings and/or flakey memory.

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Branden wrote:
> > I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image
> > that I can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have
> > the exact same hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase
> > the licensing so that the user can type the license number from the
> > sticker on their PC, and their user name.
> >
> > The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
> > restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button,
> > it boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
> >
> > When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process,
> > it then asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
> >
> > The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and
> > VGA drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver
> > questions, but the screen resolution changes. Please remember that
> > all the hardware are exactly the same, and they all have the same
> > BIOS and firmware version.
> >
> > Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?
> >
> > Thank You,
> > Branden.
> >

> "kurttrail" wrote:
>
> BIOS settings not exactly the same, though versions are the same, Ghost,
> Windows XP, and/or the hardware. Not necessarily in that order.
>
> My guess, and is BIOS settings and/or flakey memory.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Hello Kurt,

Thanks for answering. I just verified this on two computers that was having
the problems. The BIOS settings are identical (I set them both side by side,
and looked at them line by line).

If there is something different in these computers, I am not detecting it.
These computers were built with the same specs down to the brand / model of
memory, and even the fans are the same. I am using the same recovery disk in
all cases, but it does not work the same in all machines.

It is unfortunate that Microsoft is not supporting OEM versions of Windows XP.

Thanks Again,
Branden.
August 23, 2005 12:18:02 AM

Branden wrote:
>> Branden wrote:
>>> I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image
>>> that I can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have
>>> the exact same hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase
>>> the licensing so that the user can type the license number from the
>>> sticker on their PC, and their user name.
>>>
>>> The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
>>> restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset
>>> button, it boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
>>>
>>> When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process,
>>> it then asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
>>>
>>> The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and
>>> VGA drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver
>>> questions, but the screen resolution changes. Please remember that
>>> all the hardware are exactly the same, and they all have the same
>>> BIOS and firmware version.
>>>
>>> Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?
>>>
>>> Thank You,
>>> Branden.
>>>

>> "kurttrail" wrote:
>>
>> BIOS settings not exactly the same, though versions are the same,
>> Ghost, Windows XP, and/or the hardware. Not necessarily in that
>> order.
>>
>> My guess, and is BIOS settings and/or flakey memory.
>>
> Hello Kurt,
>

> Thanks for answering. I just verified this on two computers that was
> having the problems. The BIOS settings are identical (I set them
> both side by side, and looked at them line by line).

Have you also compared these machine BIOS's to a machine BIOS that the
ghosting worked right on with no resetting?

> If there is something different in these computers, I am not
> detecting it. These computers were built with the same specs down to
> the brand / model of memory, and even the fans are the same. I am
> using the same recovery disk in all cases, but it does not work the
> same in all machines.

I would do a memory test on the machines that aren't ghosting right, to
remove that as a possibility for your problem.

http://www.memtest86.com/

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

> It is unfortunate that Microsoft is not supporting OEM versions of
> Windows XP.

By MS's theory, if they did, you'd be paying at least $100 buck more.
More than likely, MS tech support would blame Ghost or the computers,
and they wouldn't be of any help anyway.

The other thing you may want to check out is that you are using the
latest version of Ghost, and check out Symantec site to see if they
havee any similar in the knowledge base.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:23:16 AM

In article <4006F0F5-BF9B-41BF-B0C3-A548E81F193D@microsoft.com>,
Branden@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image that I
> can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have the exact same
> hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase the licensing so that
> the user can type the license number from the sticker on their PC, and their
> user name.
>
> The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
> restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button, it
> boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
>
> When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process, it then
> asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
>
> The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and VGA
> drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver questions, but the
> screen resolution changes. Please remember that all the hardware are exactly
> the same, and they all have the same BIOS and firmware version.
>
> Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?

What type of Image file are you creating? Are you doing a Image of the
full drive or just a partition? Do the full drive, also, make sure that
your medial is good.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

> >> "kurttrail" wrote:
> >>
> >> BIOS settings not exactly the same, though versions are the same,
> >> Ghost, Windows XP, and/or the hardware. Not necessarily in that
> >> order.
> >>
> >> My guess, and is BIOS settings and/or flakey memory.
> >>
> > Hello Kurt,
> >

> > Thanks for answering. I just verified this on two computers that was
> > having the problems. The BIOS settings are identical (I set them
> > both side by side, and looked at them line by line).
>
> Have you also compared these machine BIOS's to a machine BIOS that the
> ghosting worked right on with no resetting?
>

> > If there is something different in these computers, I am not
> > detecting it. These computers were built with the same specs down to
> > the brand / model of memory, and even the fans are the same. I am
> > using the same recovery disk in all cases, but it does not work the
> > same in all machines.
>
> I would do a memory test on the machines that aren't ghosting right, to
> remove that as a possibility for your problem.
>
> http://www.memtest86.com/
>
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> > It is unfortunate that Microsoft is not supporting OEM versions of
> > Windows XP.
> >

> "kurttrail" wrote:
>

> By MS's theory, if they did, you'd be paying at least $100 buck more.
> More than likely, MS tech support would blame Ghost or the computers,
> and they wouldn't be of any help anyway.
>
> The other thing you may want to check out is that you are using the
> latest version of Ghost, and check out Symantec site to see if they
> havee any similar in the knowledge base.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>

> Branden wrote:

Hello Kurt,

The computers I checked was one working and one that is not working. The
BIOS settings and versions are identical. I downloaded the MS memory test,
and an overnight test has not revealed an error. Everything is reported as
succeeded. I have also run the Memtest86 in the past and they also reported
no errors.

I am starting to think that there is at least a different version of
firmware in the system that is not being reported to the public, like an
internal engineering fix, or an internal revision that no one in the public
is notified.

I will keep doing some more tests, and if I find something, I will let you
know.

Thanks,
Branden.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:18:08 PM

> In article <4006F0F5-BF9B-41BF-B0C3-A548E81F193D@microsoft.com>,
> Branden@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image that I
> > can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have the exact same
> > hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase the licensing so that
> > the user can type the license number from the sticker on their PC, and their
> > user name.
> >
> > The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
> > restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button, it
> > boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
> >
> > When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process, it then
> > asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
> >
> > The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and VGA
> > drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver questions, but the
> > screen resolution changes. Please remember that all the hardware are exactly
> > the same, and they all have the same BIOS and firmware version.
> >
> > Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?
> >

> "Leythos" wrote:
>
> What type of Image file are you creating? Are you doing a Image of the
> full drive or just a partition? Do the full drive, also, make sure that
> your medial is good.
>
> --
>
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Hello Leythos,

The file that I created was a 2GB .GHO file. It is an image of the full
hard drive, and not a partition. The hard drive is a Seagate 160GB SATA and
it contains only one partition.

I then used Nero to create a bootable DVD using a Windows 98 bootable floppy
as the boot sector.

I created the image using these parameters:
P:\GHOST.EXE -NTIL -AUTO

I restored the hard drive using these parameters:
P:\GHOST.EXE -SURE -CLONE,MODE=LOAD,SRC=P:\IMAGE.GHO,DST=1 -NTIL -AUTO
-BATCH -NOFILE -AFILE=Z:\ERROR.TXT -FX

The P: drive is the drive of the DVD, and the Z: drive is just a ramdrive.

The .GHO creation and restoration had no problems. It only caused some
system to lock up during the first reboot after the restore. But when you
press the Reset button, it boots up fine and asks the user to supply the
serial number, and the user name.

Then on the second reboot (When the desktop launches), it asks for the
driver of the NIC and VGA cards, both of which Windows already has detected,
and wants you to use them.

If you need any more information, please let me know, and I will provide them.

Thanks,
Branden.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:53:10 PM

"Branden" wrote:

> > In article <4006F0F5-BF9B-41BF-B0C3-A548E81F193D@microsoft.com>,
> > Branden@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > I am using Symantec Ghost Enterprise Edition 8.0 to create an image that I
> > > can use to clone about 100 computers. All the computers have the exact same
> > > hardware configuration. I have used SysPrep to erase the licensing so that
> > > the user can type the license number from the sticker on their PC, and their
> > > user name.
> > >
> > > The problem arises when some of the computers locks up after the
> > > restoration, and on the first boot. After pressing the Reset button, it
> > > boots up, and asks for the license agrrement.
> > >
> > > When you finish with the license agreement part of the boot process, it then
> > > asks some users about the VGA, and NIC drivers.
> > >
> > > The problem is that not all the users gets asked about the NIC, and VGA
> > > drivers. Some of the users do not get asked these driver questions, but the
> > > screen resolution changes. Please remember that all the hardware are exactly
> > > the same, and they all have the same BIOS and firmware version.
> > >
> > > Can anyone please tell me what is causing the problem?
> > >

> > "Leythos" wrote:
> >
> > What type of Image file are you creating? Are you doing a Image of the
> > full drive or just a partition? Do the full drive, also, make sure that
> > your medial is good.
> >
> > --
> >
> > spam999free@rrohio.com
> > remove 999 in order to email me
> >
> Hello Leythos,
>
> The file that I created was a 2GB .GHO file. It is an image of the full
> hard drive, and not a partition. The hard drive is a Seagate 160GB SATA and
> it contains only one partition.
>
> I then used Nero to create a bootable DVD using a Windows 98 bootable floppy
> as the boot sector.
>
> I created the image using these parameters:
> P:\GHOST.EXE -NTIL -AUTO
>
> I restored the hard drive using these parameters:
> P:\GHOST.EXE -SURE -CLONE,MODE=LOAD,SRC=P:\IMAGE.GHO,DST=1 -NTIL -AUTO
> -BATCH -NOFILE -AFILE=Z:\ERROR.TXT -FX
>
> The P: drive is the drive of the DVD, and the Z: drive is just a ramdrive.
>
> The .GHO creation and restoration had no problems. It only caused some
> system to lock up during the first reboot after the restore. But when you
> press the Reset button, it boots up fine and asks the user to supply the
> serial number, and the user name.
>
> Then on the second reboot (When the desktop launches), it asks for the
> driver of the NIC and VGA cards, both of which Windows already has detected,
> and wants you to use them.
>
> If you need any more information, please let me know, and I will provide them.
>
> Thanks,
> Branden.

When I started using Ghost 8 Enterprise Edition, I had checked out some of
these forums and there was one gentleman that had similar problems. He was
rolling out hundreds of machines, they were all the same part number from the
manufacturer...end result was half of the machines chipset were made in one
country and the other half in another. Go figure....:-)
!