steven

I noticed everytime I play an MP3 does't matter if it's winamp, real player
or WMP the "System" process will start to eat up about 20-30 of the CPU for
about 2 seconds then it goes back to 0 only to come back up after 10 seconds
again..etc

anyone know what's causing this problem?

btw: my laptop is only about a month old. no virus or spyware.

Steven:
That is pretty normal, my notebook and desktop both do about the same thing
and if you are using visualizations it could be even higher.
Foxhole

"Foxhole" wrote:

> Steven:
> That is pretty normal, my notebook and desktop both do about the same thing
> and if you are using visualizations it could be even higher.
> Foxhole

I asked the question because I have a 3 year old Dell desktop computer and
it never does that when I play MP3s.

I don't know about Dells but I have a two year old HP desktop and a year old
Compaq notebook and they both run from 15% to 40% but most of the time I have
a visualization window open.
Foxhole

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmVu?= <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I noticed everytime I play an MP3 does't matter if it's winamp, real
> player or WMP the "System" process will start to eat up about 20-30 of
> the CPU for about 2 seconds then it goes back to 0 only to come back
> up after 10 seconds again..etc
>
> anyone know what's causing this problem?
>
> btw: my laptop is only about a month old. no virus or spyware.

i'm sure that's pretty normal. it's probably caching the file in 10 second
chunks, so every 10 seconds or so, it will read the file, do what-ever-
voodoo-it does, then stores the decompressed audio in RAM until it's going
to be running out of data so it reads another 10 seconds or so, and so on,
and so on.