Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best price:performance 24" gaming monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 5, 2010 9:16:48 AM

Hi guys
I am looking for a HQ gaming monitor in the 24" range. Can anyone suggest a the best one?? I have zero knowledge about monitors so please help me out here!
June 8, 2010 1:46:02 PM

What is your budget? What resolution would you like? Do you plan to use multiple monitors or just a single one? Are you using this for gaming or for just office work?
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:17:19 PM

Hi...
My budget is elastic.
The resolution I would prefer is 1920x1080 or 1200, which ever is 16:10 (if that is better)?
I plan to use only a single monitor.
I'd use this for gaming and some occasional powerpoint and word document work.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 8:31:14 PM

What is really the cap on your budget for your monitor? Are you willing to spend $700? $1000?

Do you want a TN monitor or IPS monitor? TN monitors are the cheapest to manufacture therefore making the price lower (about $150 to about $350 per monitor); IPS monitors are more expensive to manufacture and also higher prices (from about $300-$1400, though I don't really know about the quality of those $300 dollar ones) TN has bad color reproduction and bad viewing angles, but has good response time (usually about 2ms-5ms) and high dynamic contrast ratios (which don't really even matter in the first place, all you need to worry about is static contrast ratios which is usually about 700:1-1000:1); so basically are you going to be viewing the monitor to the side or off center and do perfect colors really matter to you? IPS monitors have good color reproduction and good viewing angles, but about average response time (about 8ms which is actually still pretty good);so do you want almost perfect colors and really good viewing angles, but for almost double (maybe triple) what you will pay for a TN monitor?.

Is there a certain website that you would like to order from? Or just whatever website has the cheapest price?

It is hard to find a 1920x1200 (16:10) monitors now, though some manufacturers still make that resolution, but most are making them 1920x1080 (16:9) now. If you really want a 1920x1200 monitor you will have to probably for an older model which could mean lower response time and could be some problems with it (just older manufacturing techniques). I would recommend just going for a 1920x1080 monitor. 16:10 is really better, a lot of people on this forum say always go for 16:10, but 1080p is what is available so just go for that.

Also what graphics card and CPU do you have?
m
l
June 9, 2010 6:30:48 AM

Hi... now that you ask me about the budget, it is 550$. Didn't know the prices could skyrocket so high!

Well now that I think about my budget, the best I could get is a high quality TN monitor instead of the IPS you mentioned, correct?

No, I don't have any particular preference for any site, any place where it is available at a decent rate.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have a geforce GTX480 and intel i930 processor.
m
l

Best solution

June 9, 2010 2:32:08 PM

Ok well lucky you :D . For $528 plus free shipping you can get the Dell UltraSharp U2410 which is an IPS monitor with 6ms response time (which is still pretty decent) and 80,000 DCR (dynamic contrast ratio anything over 40,000 ((I think, anyways)) you can't really see) that is rated pretty decent; infact it is almost the compromise between expensive amazing IPS monitors and cheap TN panels, so you are getting a pretty good IPS monitors for a little bit more than you would pay for a TN monitor. You can find this monitor here for $528. This monitor is also 1920x1200 which you wanted.

Do you play a lot of fast paced first person shooter games such as Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Modern Warfare two? If you do you might want to get TN monitor then with a 2ms response time such as the Samsung PX2370 for $310 from here also with free shipping. This monitor has a 1920x1080 resolution.

Personally I would pick the Dell even if you are playing FPS games because 6ms is still pretty good; it is also an IPS monitor and very well reviewed. If you really don't want to spend $530 you can go for the Samsung TN monitor, but if can go for the Dell I would do that.
June 9, 2010 3:39:13 PM

Best answer selected by ankushm999.
m
l
June 9, 2010 3:39:37 PM

Thanks sparkman, that answer was exactly what I was looking for :D 
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:00:46 PM

ankushm999 said:
Thanks sparkman, that answer was exactly what I was looking for :D 

Yep, any time. I don't think you will regret getting that monitor, in fact I think you will absolutely love the monitor. Good luck with it! :) 
m
l
June 17, 2010 8:05:23 PM

Just want to let you know I'm quite happy with my Asus VW266H.

25.5"
Under $300 (including shipping)
1920 x 1200
2ms Response Time

71% of the peeps on Newegg have given it 5 stars.

I guess it's not a 24" though, but it kicks some serious butt without breaking the bank. (I was in the market for a 24 when I found this one also, btw)
m
l
!